Why Does Subtropical Sunshine In Sydney, Australia Burn More Than Tropical Sun In Thailand ?

Trevor

Being blessed with dark skin I don't need to apply toxic sunscreen to my skin in Thailand, and only burn on neck and shoulders when on snorkelling boat trips. Inland the sun doesn't burn or bother me at all. And that's at latitudes of 8-18 degrees north.

Visiting Sydney Australia, which is a subtropical 33-degrees south of the equator, the autumn sun in March was incredibly powerful -- and painful if one didn't cover the arms.

I was wondering why the Australian sun appears to have more powerful burning properties even though the sun angle is less than in tropical Thailand. The dreaded 'hole in the ozone layer', perhaps?

I think ozone depletion is a major reason.

In recent years, the incidence and severity of sunburn has increased worldwide, especially in the southern hemisphere, because of damage to the ozone layer. Ozone depletion and the seasonal ozone hole has led to dangerously high levels of UV radiation

Source: Wikipedia.

It is the oposite for me here. In the states I could be out in the sun with little concern. In Thailand 20-30 minutes and I already got a slight burn going.

I used to think folks with umbrellas look so foolish, but now I am starting to see the utility in it.

ozone layer is the main culprit; NZ has the same problems as Aussie; peak sun period is in Dec - Mar from 11-2pm about; in NZ can burn in less than 10 minutes on the peak days.

Slip slap slop

Slip on long sleeve shirt

slap on a hat

slop on some sunscreen

I can get away with no sunscreen here in Thailand, but no chance of that in NZ>

I can get away with no sunscreen here in Thailand, but no chance of that in NZ

Not a good idea to go without here or Nz.

Correct. People with dark skins get skin cancers, too.

The hole in the ozone layer does seem to intensify the intensity Downunder. Highest rate of melanoma in the world. (Not helped by the very fair skin of many non-native forebears).

Slip, slop, slap and ... oh ! what's the 4th one ?? Been away too long.

Slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen, slap on a hat and ... sunglasses ? stay out of the sun at the most damaging times of day ?

I can get away with no sunscreen here in Thailand, but no chance of that in NZ

Not a good idea to go without here or Nz.

Correct. People with dark skins get skin cancers, too.

The hole in the ozone layer does seem to intensify the intensity Downunder. Highest rate of melanoma in the world. (Not helped by the very fair skin of many non-native forebears).

Slip, slop, slap and ... oh ! what's the 4th one ?? Been away too long.

Slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen, slap on a hat and ... sunglasses ? stay out of the sun at the most damaging times of day ?

I arrived back in Australia after a five month visit to Thailand and withing four days I had a noticeable white patch where my watch had protected my wrist! I am now nursing a sunburned back after spending 2 hours painting the front steps of my house! The sun definitely is harsher here than in Thailand. I thought Scotland had the highest rate for skin cancers? Something to do with the fairness of the scottish skin?

Hi all,

my understanding is the large amount of water vapour in the tropics absorbs the harsher elements in the sunlight.

Perth, even further south than Sydney, is much drier and has some of the brightest sunlight I've seen in Australia and apparently some of the worst skin cancer rates in the world.

dismal isn't it....

Hi all,

my understanding is the large amount of water vapour in the tropics absorbs the harsher elements in the sunlight.

Perth, even further south than Sydney, is much drier and has some of the brightest sunlight I've seen in Australia and apparently some of the worst skin cancer rates in the world.

dismal isn't it....

Not so dismal; very preventable.

• 2 weeks later...