Neighbor's Dog Looking For A Fight With My Dog

I had a new neighbor move in and with it comes a young thai bangkaew male which the owner lets run about outside of his yard/wall quite often.  I keep my dog, which is much bigger, inside of my yard at all times, so this dog keeps coming over and marking on my gate, which has about a 10 cm opening at the bottom so my dogs ( one thai dog and a big breed) can kind of get there faces below, but can't acutally get at the offending dog.

The problem with this dog is he chases my car when I drive by, not to mention chases anyone who rides by on a motorbike.  I've gently suggested as have neighbors that he keep his dog in his yard, but he doesn't do so.

I'm so tempted to let my dog out and give his dog a huge lesson of reality, but I really don't want to if I could just get this new neighbor to understand that both he and his dog are not behaving responsibly.  Problem is, he does not scold or control his dog when people drive or ride by on a bike as he chases them and nips at people.  

What would you do after all diplomacy has failed?  Let it go, or let your dog have a go at his dog and put it in it's place?  This dog really gets my dogs riled up seeing as he knows they can't get out to get after him.

Do you have a motorbike or bicycle? Then may I suggest you ride past the dog and as soon as he starts to chase you, stop and throw a really great big rock at the dog, while screaming "Pai!" at him. It might scare him off chasing vehicles if you do it on a regular basis. As for the marking, well, unfortunately, its normal dog behavior and the best thing for you to do would be to put something unpleasant there to keep him away. Or shoot him with a water pistol and scream "Pai!" every time he does it.

Sounds like the owner isn't that responsible, you could try saying something but, honestly, he probably doesn't see a problem with his dog's behavior or he would do something about it.

Do you have a motorbike or bicycle? Then may I suggest you ride past the dog and as soon as he starts to chase you, stop and throw a really great big rock at the dog, while screaming "Pai!" at him. It might scare him off chasing vehicles if you do it on a regular basis. As for the marking, well, unfortunately, its normal dog behavior and the best thing for you to do would be to put something unpleasant there to keep him away. Or shoot him with a water pistol and scream "Pai!" every time he does it.

Sounds like the owner isn't that responsible, you could try saying something but, honestly, he probably doesn't see a problem with his dog's behavior or he would do something about it.

But would the rock throwing idea work with strangers?

When I took my dog for a walk I used to be beset by soi dogs barking and snapping, so I did the stone throwing and shouting trick and after a day or so of this they more or less left us alone. But if someone they don't know comes along with a dog, I am sure they would not be so tolerant.

It's a difficult situation. Maybe you should get a respected Thai (a Puyai?) to have a friendly chat with him. It's worth making every effort before you set your dog onto him, or you may end up in a major confrontation that you could do without.

It might if the dog is young enough, but yeah, thats the main problem, that he will only associate it with steelepulse. As it is, the dog probably won't last too long if he continues to chase cars.

The neighbor is another farang, and I always pass by in my car.  I do have an electric motorbike, but he never hears me go by so I can't give him a swift kick.  I do veer the car towards the dog as I drive by, but he's learned to not jump in front of the car and wait for me to pass by before pretending to be a tough dog.  As soon as I stop, he runs into his yard.

Years ago in the US, my ex wife had a really useless border collie. It chased anything that passed the house. One day a farmer friend of mine had been injecting anhydrous ammonia into his corn field. As he passed by the house on his tractor, the dog got near one of the injectors and Bert gave it a shot of anhydrous. The dog actually rolled and got pretty sick. I thought that wouls cure him. It DIDN'T. He just never chased Bert's tractor after that.

Difficult situation you are in. And what an Big A that neighbor of yours is. :o

Problems with this dog is:

He's a Ban Keaw, known for their aggression,

He's learning (fast) that by showing aggression he's on the winning side.

Dealing with his aggression through aggression (by you or your dogs) may work now, but chances are high he will take the challenge once he feels physically and mentally strong enough, and then you have even a bigger problem.

Therefore, I wouldn't suggest to make the dog scared of you by throwing stones, kicking screaming or the like. In stead, I suggest to make friends with that dog, for example by bribing him with delicious treats. Once he trusts you, you can start building a relationship with this dog based on trust and respect where this dog sees you as higher rank.

I know you are not exactly waiting for having to 'train' somebodies elses dog. But if this man is totally ignoring anybodies concerns and the dog remains being an annoiance to others, then I'm afraid that's the only solution left. (Ok, I know there are other solutions as well, and often applied unfortunately, but these methods are certainly not in favor of the well-being of the dog. And the dog is, after all, just behaving like a dog)

And as Mobi already suggested, I would talk to the PhuYai of the village with a couple of Thai neighbors where you express your (very legitimate) concerns about the behavior development of this dog. After all, he IS a potentially dangerous dog.

I wish you good luck.

Nienke

I'm not too worried at all about the dog as when you stop to confront him he r

uns away. What I am concerned about is that when my maid rides by on her motorbike each day, the dog chases her.  Now my daughter will not go outside because of this.  I am so tempted to let out my 65 kg dogo next time I see the dog out there and let them see who will come out on top, but I won't do that yet.  However I might put a collar on my dog and take him for a little walk and see if this little 30 kg bang kaew has any will to give us some grief.

BTW, I don't live in some rural neighborhood, so there is no pu yai baan to take this little issue to. I live in a nice private developed soi and my house is the last one on the street, so we are the only ones that go by this house with the untrained dog.

SBK I didn't know you're that violent.

Hopefully the dog chase you and can't find it's way back home.

That's a good idea put a collar on your dog.

Can you like tie you big dog to the gate ( outside ) with some leashe distance to scare it away.

Edited by Aries74

I guess you've never had a dog try to bite you as you've driven by then? It is not violent. Dogs understand hierarchy. Showing strength shows who is on the top of the hierarchy. I didn't say hurt the dog, but to teach the dog who is boss is necessary.

I guess you've never had a dog try to bite you as you've driven by then? It is not violent. Dogs understand hierarchy. Showing strength shows who is on the top of the hierarchy. I didn't say hurt the dog, but to teach the dog who is boss is necessary.

I wonder if you can see this kind of chasing as a hierarchy thing, in the sense of showing who's the boss. I would say it's more predatory where the 'prey' decides to flee or stands its case as it feels strong enough to do so or is cornered.

For example: dog chases cat. Bad luck for dog as this happens to be a brave cat, that stops turns and makes pretty clear to the dog that if he doesn't stop his attack he WILL defend him/herself. The far majority of dogs ain't stupid and 'realize' that such a cat is very capable to inflict some very serious injuries to him/her and, therefore, won't take this challenge and retreat or let the cat retreat.

Another scenario was years ago, when my ex and I drove through a mooban, where there was this German shepherd with three or four of his pals, who started chasing and attacking us. The GSD was clearly the leader of the pack. It turned out this dog had some bad experiecne that involved motorbikes and he hated them. As soon as the engine stopped (we drove right into an irrigation canal) he stopped his chase and returned home with his pack following him. We were still in his territory though.

Nienke

True, but I think to stop and stand up to the dog shows that as the aggressor he will lose. That you are not prey but rather something higher up the chain then himself.

Regardless, I don't think it is violent to stand up to a dog. I did not say hurt the dog, but to show the dog that, as stated above, you are not prey but rather a superior.

True, but I think to stop and stand up to the dog shows that as the aggressor he will lose. That you are not prey but rather something higher up the chain then himself.

Regardless, I don't think it is violent to stand up to a dog. I did not say hurt the dog, but to show the dog that, as stated above, you are not prey but rather a superior.

Just teasing SBK, I know you're not violent. But you did said "throw a really great big rock at the dog, while screaming "Pai!" at him. that can hurt :o LOL

I'm not too worried at all about the dog as when you stop to confront him he runs away.

How old it the Ban Keaw? Brave young dogs, like kids, can challenge an older one on a safe distance or behind a safe barrier. But as soon as the challenged one turns or comes from behind the barrier and takes the challenge, the younger one very well may decide not to take the challenge (yet) as it feels not yet strong enough to take it. This certainly can change once the dog/boy grows older.

What I am concerned about is that when my maid rides by on her motorbike each day, the dog chases her.  Now my daughter will not go outside because of this.  Naturally, those are very legitimate concerns. With the above post I just want to warn that sometimes treating aggression with aggression can have the opposite effect.

I am so tempted to let out my 65 kg dogo next time I see the dog out there and let them see who will come out on top, but I won't do that yet.  However I might put a collar on my dog and take him for a little walk and see if this little 30 kg bang kaew has any will to give us some grief.It is very possible that once your 65kg dogo is directly confronted with the Ban keaw (or more the other way around), your dog ignores the Ban Keaw as in his mind it's not a match at all (just a little boy with too big of a mouth) or that the BK won't do anything as he knows he can't challenge this big adult dog.

It is also possible that by the time you do let your dogo out that he has been so annoyed by the BK, that he straight away attacks it, even when the BK shows submission. This can severely damage the BK. It is NOT the dog's fault, but it is the BK's owner's fault! So, why do you feel the need to (severely) damage this dog?

BTW, I don't live in some rural neighborhood, so there is no pu yai baan to take this little issue to. I live in a nice private developed soi and my house is the last one on the street, so we are the only ones that go by this house with the untrained dog. This makes it only easier to bribe the dog.

Nienke

And how about when you change the word 'cat' into 'bull'? I put a questionmark at the words 'superior' or 'being higher in rank', because I don't think it has something to do with that. I still don't think it has something to do with being higher up, but more with that the prey animal (we were talking about chasing with possible attack. Not al dogs will attack as well) feels strong enough in order to defend him/her/itself.

Nienke

bang keaw are 'hard' dogs from what we've all read and seen...

the chase, its isnt about dominance as nienke points out; its prey since its only at moving objects. throwing rocks as far as i've seen w/ our canaans just makes them get nastier, it doesnt deter.

and its very very hard to break a dog of the chase habit.

also, the scenario of the dogo/bankeaw would proabably be as nienke described it. the younger dog would just walk away after a scuffle, but that wouldnt stop the chasing motocy type thing.

that is probably up to the farang owner....

no useful ideas today

bina