Reasonable City/town To Live In Thailand

cantona_777

Hello there,

In a few months my Thai wife and 8 month old baby girl will be moving to Thailand.

We were initially thinking about residing around Hua Hin/Cha Am area, but I've read mixed reviews about international schools around Hua Hin

We would like to consider additional areas outside of Bangkok.

The key factor is education for the little one, although she's still young it is very high on my list of priorities.

Second is good hospital, overall safety and reasonable infrastructure (shopping, communications, etc...)

Please do not post on pros/cons on educating/raising children in Thailand at it has been covered in different threads.

Any input from family members within this forum will be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

:o

There's quite a few International and bi-lingual schools on the Eastern Seaboard (Sri Racha - Pattaya - Ban Chang - Rayong).

Again you'll find lots of pros and cons on each if you search the forums.

All the infrastructure you want is in place in these areas.

Terrenova,

Job is not an issue nor is my wife's place of origin as we're quite flexible in where we're going to reside.

Pattayparenent,

We're considering Chonburi area as well as well but my wife is a bit concerned about safety within proximity to Pattaya. How are you finding life with a child around that area. I'm sure schools and hospitals are in order but how are finding life around tourists and other obvious immoral elements.

I've traveled in many places in Thailand but it's a different story planning for a family. First hand life experiences are what I'm really interested in when comparing to life in the North America or Europe.

Take care,

Rob

If you are worried about the "immoral elements" in Pattaya then you'd better stay in Switzerland, indoors. C'mon, there is more to the greater Pattaya area than bars and go-gos. I live only 5km from Walking Street and you'd not know it was on the same planet. That said, every town in Thailand and believe it or not the rest of the world has knocking shops and drug addicts and bad people. Loads of towns also have those tourists you seem to dislike so much.

From your reply to me, you seem prepared to live anywhere so I really redirect you back to the internet (google is your friend), get some books on Thailand and get clued up because if you really don't know about the different regions and your wife doesn't either then you are woefully unprepared to move here.

Terrenova,

Job is not an issue nor is my wife's place of origin as we're quite flexible in where we're going to reside.

Pattayparenent,

We're considering Chonburi area as well as well but my wife is a bit concerned about safety within proximity to Pattaya. How are you finding life with a child around that area. I'm sure schools and hospitals are in order but how are finding life around tourists and other obvious immoral elements.

Take care,

Rob

I live with my daughter (came here when she was a newborn and she is now 6yrs old). For the first couple of years I lived closer to town but as she got older I wanted her view to change and moved about 10km out of town. This was so that our local area changed and she would not view the lights and poles of the back street bars when we popped out for lunch or brekkie everyday. I agree with your concern and then add that to the amount a young child absorbs of her surroundings . For me it was no choice but to move away from the very centre.

You will have to deal with observatory questions as you child gets older. Ive had "Mummy why do the grown up grand-daughters hold their grandads hand"? "why dont some Thai girls like wearing many clothes" "why dont Thai girls like to marry Thai men only white ones?" "why did that policeman just knock at our house and ask for 500baht"? Usually the questions are so funny as they originate from a place of non judgemental innocence, yet they arise because of what she has been exposed to whilst journeying on the streets of Pattaya.

However I have tried out Hua Hin - too quiet and terrible education facilities, Phuket - too pricey and too wet. I've never liked the chaos of Bkk and I like to sail so need the sea which makes the north of Thailand not suitable. That said Chiang Mai or Rai would definitely be on my list if I didnt have a boat.

Down here in Patters you will find cheaper housing (compared to say Phuket or Samui but not compared to the north), more choice re restaurants, shops, cinemas, bowling etc Also many kids playgroups, music, activities, sports etc.

Good Luck with you move.

xx

Hello there,

In a few months my Thai wife and 8 month old baby girl will be moving to Thailand.

We were initially thinking about residing around Hua Hin/Cha Am area, but I've read mixed reviews about international schools around Hua Hin

We would like to consider additional areas outside of Bangkok.

The key factor is education for the little one, although she's still young it is very high on my list of priorities.

Second is good hospital, overall safety and reasonable infrastructure (shopping, communications, etc...)

Please do not post on pros/cons on educating/raising children in Thailand at it has been covered in different threads.

Any input from family members within this forum will be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

:D

From what you have said, I would say that Bangkok is the best place for you and your family, assuming that cost is not a problem.

There are literally dozens of International schools and first class hospitals.

I would not live in the Sukhumvit area, simply because of traffic issues and the air is not what I consider healthy for my 7yr old :o

However there are many new housing projects around the new airport and off of Ramkhamhaeng Road that are superb. To give you an idea I am 5 minutes from my sons International school, 5 minutes from International hospital, 5 minutes from the likes of Carrefour and Tops. And if I do want to go and "play" in the Sukhumvit area, I am only a 30-40 minute drive away. I would say , though, that getting a car is a requisite :D

Don't forget that a majority of the male parents that you will meet in Thailand will have started out as one of those 'tourists and other obvious immoral elements' including myself and all my friends.

We live up on Pratumnak Hill in Pattaya and I consider it to be a very safe area, quiet, and still in close proximity to town to get out shopping or go for a meal, or a beer with mates. Beach Road Jomtien is more like a seaside town back in UK although I did notice last night that there has been a growth in the number of bars up the sois.

But the other places I mentioned Sri Racha, Ban Chang and Rayong are a long way from Pattaya if you have issues with being around the obvious nightlife.

I've lived in Thailand off and on for over two years, mostly in Bangkok but traveled in quite a few places in the country so don't tell me that I'm unprepared.

I've been to Pattaya as well and I now that's it's not all go-go bars, so don't lecture me on it. There are better places to bring up a child than Pattaya I would think. Yes you have sex tourists everywhere in Thailand and it doesn't bother me too much, although high crime rate around Chonburi does bother me and my wife.

Next time if you have nothing good to add then don't post at all or at least refrain from useless replies.

I've lived in Thailand off and on for over two years, mostly in Bangkok but traveled in quite a few places in the country so don't tell me that I'm unprepared.

I've been to Pattaya as well and I now that's it's not all go-go bars, so don't lecture me on it. There are better places to bring up a child than Pattaya I would think. Yes you have sex tourists everywhere in Thailand and it doesn't bother me too much, although high crime rate around Chonburi does bother me and my wife.

Next time if you have nothing good to add then don't post at all or at least refrain from useless replies.

LOL .. yeah! what a great beginning for you cantona_777

You 'lived here off and on for over 2 years' , you don't want to be 'lectured' but you ask for feedback! Good job!

LOL .. yeah! what a great beginning for you cantona_777

You 'lived here off and on for over 2 years' , you don't want to be 'lectured' but you ask for feedback! Good job!

IT IS A LONG WAY FROM THE SEA, BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND KHON KAEN, IT IS A YOUNG AND VIBRANT PLACE, SAFE AS HOUSES AND NOT TO LARGE. THE HOUSING IS CHEAP AND EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A FAMILY IS AVAILABLE. GOOD LUCK.