Scifi Guru Arthur Clarke Dies In Sri Lanka

chevykanteve

(Bangkok Post -- partial copy)

Science-fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, who co-wrote the epic film "2001: A Space Odyssey" and raised the idea of communications satellites in the 1940s, died Wednesday at age 90, an associate confirmed.

Visionary author Arthur C. Clarke had fans around the world.

Clarke died early Wednesday at a hospital in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he had lived since the 1950s, said Scott Chase, the secretary of the nonprofit Arthur C. Clarke Foundation.

"He had been taken to hospital in what we had hoped was one of the slings and arrows of being 90, but in this case it was his final visit," Chase said.

As of 4am on Wednesday (Thailand time), the Wikipedia article on Clarke had been updated with a banner across the top that reads, "This article is about a person who has recently died."

Clarke was the author, or co-author, of more than 30 books. But he will likely always be best known for his novel 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was later turned into a landmark film by Stanley Kubrick.

The film grew out of Clarke's 1951 short story, "The Sentinel,".................................................................

Yeah, was sorry to see this. I remember devouring his books in my teens and then revisiting them at odd times throughout the intervening years. Wasn't he also responsible for the concept of geostationary satellites and their use for communications?

R.I.P.

Edited as I'm thick as two short planks. Sorry, OP!

Edited by micksterbs