Beer Lao Dark

ricklev

I was happy to find Beer Lao Dark at the bar next to Chiang Mai Saloon across from The Wall. A pleasure to drink. Any other places serving it in Chiang Mai? They are charging 80 baht.

I also noticed that the regular Beer Lao being sold in Chiang Mai was produced in October 2007 and is well at the end of its shelf life. Too bad they can't just sell it in a grocery store......

I was happy to find Beer Lao Dark at the bar next to Chiang Mai Saloon across from The Wall. A pleasure to drink. Any other places serving it in Chiang Mai? They are charging 80 baht.

I also noticed that the regular Beer Lao being sold in Chiang Mai was produced in October 2007 and is well at the end of its shelf life. Too bad they can't just sell it in a grocery store......

Number1 has Lao Dark as well and numerous other foreign beers. They charge 90 bahts if I remember.

Edited by hp8000

Why can't they just sell it in a grocery store? Has there ever been a beer as elusive as Beer Lao? Frankly, I gave up looking for it ages ago and concluded it was just a cruel joke all along.

Why can't they just sell it in a grocery store? Has there ever been a beer as elusive as Beer Lao? Frankly, I gave up looking for it ages ago and concluded it was just a cruel joke all along.

Both Tuskers and Mad Dog sell Beer Lao but I don't know if they sell the dark version. The Peak Pool Bar (the last bar in the Peak complex if you go down the soi at the back of the Night Bazaar/Peak area) had a serious overstock of dark Beer Lao a couple of weeks ago . . .

JxP

I believe both Beer Lao and Beer Lao Dark are available at Drunken Flower which is located on Soi 17 off Nimman. They used to be at the end of Soi 1 but have moved to a smaller location on Soi 17.

Can't remember what they were charging...that was our third pub stop that night.

Both Tuskers and Mad Dog sell Beer Lao but I don't know if they sell the dark version. The Peak Pool Bar (the last bar in the Peak complex if you go down the soi at the back of the Night Bazaar/Peak area) had a serious overstock of dark Beer Lao a couple of weeks ago . . .

JxP

Tuskers does have Lao dark but I don't recall what they charge. It is my beer of choice and someone told me the Macro carries it but I haven't checked.

Red Lion has a couple of excellent darks but they are about 170 B each..

Widely sold up here in Chiang Mai now, a year or so back it was pretty elusive with only Tuskers and one or two others selling it.

My two favorite beers in this area are Heineken and Beer Lao. I enjoy them both and don't taste a lot of difference between them - just a little.

It kind of intrigues me that all the Europeans rave about how wonderful Beer Lao is, but all hate Heineken. It makes it difficult to take their opinions too seriously. :o

Klong @ the back of Nimman Promenade serves Dark, somewhere in the range of 65-75, I think. They also have a rather impressive collection of Absolut vodkas and a "Drinko" drinking game/shot glass display (think of the Price is Right game Plinko but with liquor involved), although all that's just for show...

My two favorite beers in this area are Heineken and Beer Lao. I enjoy them both and don't taste a lot of difference between them - just a little.

It kind of intrigues me that all the Europeans rave about how wonderful Beer Lao is, but all hate Heineken. It makes it difficult to take their opinions too seriously. :o

This from a national of the country that gave us Rolling Rock!!?

JxP

You like Coors and Olympia .... makes it difficult to .....

Then again I like Leo or beer Lao :D

You like Coors and Olympia .... makes it difficult to .....

Then again I like Leo or beer Lao :D

Beer Lao or Leo for me as well, if not Tiger or San Mig but none of these beers come close to the beers sold at the German Microbrewery round the back of Carrefour, actually sat by my sad old self the only customer the other week while my wife shopped, the beer went down a treat though it was disconcerting to be the only customer in a building the size of an aircraft hanger :D my next visit will be a nocturnal one.

I like Coors and Olympia too!

Oh my god!!! :o

The beer most homeless drink, next to Steel Reserve..

How 'bout Buckhorn or Dutch Treat

with a couple large gulps of MD20/20 mummmmmm...tasty! :D

Heineken is nasty, compared with the likes of Amstel ( are they not the actual brewers of Heine ) but would prefer a Dommelish any day or night ...ahhh Bier from Limburg...

Tiger and San Miguel go down well too, although I would have sworn it was better in P.I.

I concur...and I remember a San Mig Bach ( however ya spell it..) Only came out once a year.

And the memories of sippin' it with the "locals" ( :o ) in Subic...and gettin home before curfew.

I always have and will have fond memories of San Miguel drinkin in the PI.

Drank it in the states as well....just not the same. :D

The villa in Bangkok sells Tsing Tao Beer for 45/75 large/small bottles. It's a very nice Chinese beer. I hope they sell it when they open here....

Last year Tsing Tao was available in Chiang Mai and then it was gone. Anybody see it recently? Always difficult to figure if availability is a marketing issue or a monopoly/mafia issue.

A few convenience stores in Bangkok also sell a dark Chinese beer called Dunkel (I think) which is quite drinkable at 35 baht per bottle. Might have been an illegal shipment.

Last year I picked up some great Eastern European beers at the Mai Sai border for about 50 baht per bottle.

I like beer but hate to pay 100-200 baht for something good.

Thanks for the information on the bars that sell Beer Lao Dark!