Dark Beerlao

Briggsy

post-32772-1168157218_thumb.jpg

Where can I get hold of this excellent brew in Bangkok?

I don't think I've had the pleasure of trying Dark Beerlao, or if there's any difference from regular Beerlao. I know they serve'em at the Mango Bar in Nana Plaza. You can locate it by doing a google search. In fact Beerlao beer is on their front page. Hope this helps!

I don't think I've had the pleasure of trying Dark Beerlao, or if there's any difference from regular Beerlao. I know they serve'em at the Mango Bar in Nana Plaza. You can locate it by doing a google search. In fact Beerlao beer is on their front page. Hope this helps!

Cheers, Dark BeerLao is a totally different drink. It is a stout.

I'll follow up this tip.

I'll follow up this tip.

hey briggsy,

when you suss out where this brew is could you post it please.

i love a dark ale, especially if its beer lao. :o

I'll follow up this tip.

hey briggsy,

when you suss out where this brew is could you post it please.

i love a dark ale, especially if its beer lao. :o

I got hold of one bottle from a "private collection"! That's been drunk! Still searching.

Join the posse. The only definite is that it can be had in Laos.

What's the limit for beer that you can bring in from an ASEAN country? If any of you are in the vicinity of Sukhumvit Soi 22, you could ask in Flaming Moe's where he gets his NORMAL BeerLao and see if the same supplier could provide DARK. You can put me down for a case.

Do a search on Beer Lao in this very section of the forum. There was a wholesaler who used to post about the regular Beer Lao. He had said they might get the dark but The Dude has yet to see it. You gotta go back to one of those famous monochaser beer threads to find that wholesaler's ID. Sorry but can't remember it off the top of my head. 3 large shovels for any Beer Lao from The Dude to dig

Do a search on Beer Lao in this very section of the forum. There was a wholesaler who used to post about the regular Beer Lao. He had said they might get the dark but The Dude has yet to see it. You gotta go back to one of those famous monochaser beer threads to find that wholesaler's ID. Sorry but can't remember it off the top of my head. 3 large shovels for any Beer Lao from The Dude to dig

Got the Thai importer off the Net. It's a Nong Khai firm called NKT Import-Export Co Ltd. They provide a phone number but no website or e-mail. I'll giv'em a ring tomorrow but it all sounds a bit iffy to me.

Reminds me of my girlfriend's description of her phone calls to Mor Chit trying to get bus info - "Ohn sai mua". I hope I'm proved wrong.

I phoned the import company up. A rep phoned me back and asked where I live (Bangkok) and how much I wanted (2 cases). He was non-committal and said he'd phone me back.

This probably means 'bor dai' but if he happens to receive a large order in the Bkk area, he might sell me some too. That's how I read the situation.

Here in Phuket I usually get about 5 cases of 'normal' Beer Lao delivered each week. I'll ask the rep if he can get hold of the dark stuff . . .

Simon

Let me know what the outcome is.

Cheers, Briggsy

Any luck yet Briggsy?

I have tried a stout from Burma.. Not too bad.Cant remember the name of it though. I bought it when I went accross to Mae Sai.

I have a local up here that sell Beer Laos. I will ask him if he has any and secondly if he knows who sells it in BKK..

Keep you posted

ITR :o

Not yet, mate. This Dark BeerLao odyssey is giving my life meaning, though.

I had a nice coopers stout that a friend bought over from Australia.

Nector from the gods.

I am still looking up here. I am going to Chiang Kong next weekend so I should be able to pick some up to try.

ITR :o

• 3 months later...

Dark Beer lao will be available in Bangkok in next few months.

The amount of Dark Beerlao produced by Lao brewery each month is still limited. The current production isn't sufficient for selling in Laos itself.

So far it hasn't been exported to other countries yet. We just have a deal with Lao brewery to import some amount of dark beer to Thailand from next shipping. We expect it will be ready for importing around June 2007. We will start to sell dark beer lao in soi Nana and some bars in Sukhuvit area.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
The Big Mango in Nana has had Beer Lao Dark for at least a month. 75 baht a bottle at happy hour and a bit over 100 the rest of the time. Angelwitch were also considering stocking it.

over 100 baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:D :D :D

YIKES!

100baht = 28200kip

75baht = 21150kip

Beer Lao Dark in shops in Lao - 8000kip

Beer Lao Dark in Bars in Lao - upto 16000kip most places 12000kip

I really miss my dark beer when I come to Chalong.

I weigh my bag and fill it up with.....

MACK'S BLACK

Great beer from New Zealand, beats Coopers hands down.

Guiness in ASEAN countries is quite frankly "FOUL".

I even see pple swigging it straight form the bottle......<deleted>.

OK if ya getz the genuine cans from Dublin, ones with the gidget, pours great.

Some say "It is 8% here", so wot it is still foul.

For normal daily drinking, I guess Chang or Singha is best.

I do NOT come here to drink blotty wimmins beer, Heineken.

Cheers all, and happy drunkun......... lol

Edited by Zpete

Flaming Moes gets it's BeerLao from the local rep- same as many bars on 22- No beer Lao dark.

Have tried it and didn't care for it but personal tastes etc- Thought the Big Mango went under recently? Apologies if wrong.

PolPotter . . . would that by any chance be the proprietor of said bar??

I've started drinking the dark far more just recently it's a nice change, the first few times I had it also I wasn't too keen on it but now I'll actually have it over the normal, although no big bottle exist. :D I actually think they've tweaked the recipe as I am sure it ain't as sweet as when it first came out.

Guess who this is . . . in Vientiane . . ... :o

Edited by technocracy