Tiger Boxer

jdinasia

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi kano85, next time give us a heads up before you show something that ugly! Or better still put on a link. That's the worst Tiger I have seen!

hi,

I just loaded it up to provide information about the Boxer.So far Tiger replied instantly to my questions , coz so many complain about lack of information

If the person like it or not is up to himself

happy trails

Why They dont bring the Yamaha FZ16 150 R to thailand ??????????????

Guys the person who shot the picture of the Tiger Boxer Touring was clearly not a person with lots of experience of making pictures of motorcycles, if you see the Touring model from different angles it doesn't look that bad. (Still nothing for my taste...) Sometimes I see people traveling on Honda Phantoms with worse configurations, so to my idea it is clear where Tiger Motorcycle got its inspiration.

For the Yamaha FZ16, I never hear of a 150R, the Yamaha FZ16 is a 153cc air-cooled engine which other then the YZF-15 is nothing special. Importing a Yamaha FZ16 will cost more then a Honda CBR-150R and performance would be less. Even importing a Yamaha YZF-15 you need to calculated something like 120,000 Baht to get it on the road in Thailand. Compare this to the 63,000 Baht for a Honda CBR-150R, or 77,000 Baht for a 250cc Tiger Boxer...or a Kawasaki Ninja 250R for 140,000 Baht. You can see that there is no market for something less powerful then a 250cc costing more. Even a modest rider on a Honda CBR-150R can while calling his girlfriend out perform a Yamaha FZ16.

Edited by Richard-BKK

The picture I received from tiger The boxer with top and side cases.

Thx again to Tiger for the prompt replies

The Tiger Touring top box is perfect size for next time you "Tour up country" to your girls village, if lucky you can later seat all the family inside for a day out, & its far cheaper than any new Toyota pick up.

Tony.

Guys the person who shot the picture of the Tiger Boxer Touring was clearly not a person with lots of experience of making pictures of motorcycles, if you see the Touring model from different angles it doesn't look that bad. (Still nothing for my taste...) Sometimes I see people traveling on Honda Phantoms with worse configurations, so to my idea it is clear where Tiger Motorcycle got its inspiration.

For the Yamaha FZ16, I never hear of a 150R, the Yamaha FZ16 is a 153cc air-cooled engine which other then the YZF-15 is nothing special. Importing a Yamaha FZ16 will cost more then a Honda CBR-150R and performance would be less. Even importing a Yamaha YZF-15 you need to calculated something like 120,000 Baht to get it on the road in Thailand. Compare this to the 63,000 Baht for a Honda CBR-150R, or 77,000 Baht for a 250cc Tiger Boxer...or a Kawasaki Ninja 250R for 140,000 Baht. You can see that there is no market for something less powerful then a 250cc costing more. Even a modest rider on a Honda CBR-150R can while calling his girlfriend out perform a Yamaha FZ16.

I'll agree with Richard-BKK on both points (richard, bookmark this post :o). The Tiger looks MUCH better in person; and even with police added crap, think crash bars, rear box, etc, it still looks good.

Also, the Indian FZ16/YZF-15 are NOT, to my knowledge, manufactured to any modern emissions standards. And yet they're still way behind what other manufacturers are putting out on the road as far as power goes, even with the fact they're ahead as far as styling.

just a quick note for the guys with boxer250's or people that are getting them. look at the thread about michelin pilot sporty tyres these are a perfect replacement for the stock irc's (thats the sound when the irc's slip out from under ya iiirrrrkkk).

Allan

hey now, now bigbike dont be showing of ya 2 cylinders against their single. otherwise i have to show off my 4 cylinders against ya 2.

hehehehehehe

and for like half the price i dont think the tiger is to bad.. my OLD CBR was half that again, but i did spend a bit getting it Faranged. eg using decent tyres etc. :o

Heh heh- honestly, I'm not trying to diss the Tiger 250. As I said in a previous post on this thread it looks like a very good deal for the price. I didn't even notice it's a single cylinder, but that's even better. I've recently become quite intrigued by singles after riding with a bunch of Yamaha SRs.

But anyway- back to my question- has anyone actually bought one of the Tiger 250s yet? I've never seen one in Bangkok, only the Tiger 200 that the BiB ride.

Happy Trails!

i think Kano got one and i know tony broster's interested...

Tony brosters still very interested in a new 250 Tiger, & will most probably buy one, but the old fart still has a brand new black 88 kilometer 250 Ninja to sell at the right price if anyone wants a bargain ?

God truly hates me, I have currently gone down with a dose of "Gout" in the ankle ( ok all wet yourselves laughing now )

Walkings an effort, so chasing go go dancers & test riding Tiger motorcycles are on the back burner for another week, or at least till the tablets do their thing !

happy days guys & gals, Tony.

My nsr150 is too unreliable now, although when it goes it is like a little rocket. So after looking and reading and thinking of phantom because i am also getting old and unreliable, and seeing loads of phantoms down pinklao, i come across this forum about the boxer 250.

What a lot of useful and interesting information.

So tomorrow i am off to Phanomyothin to have a look at Tigar motorcycles. My main worry is i am going to live in Chiang Khong [N. Thailand] and i cannot believe there will be much option for service etc. from Tigar.

Does any one know or have any thoughts about whether it is likely that a Honda dealer would be able to service/repair the boxer 250, if it is using an old /cloned honda engine?

Tony brosters still very interested in a new 250 Tiger, & will most probably buy one, but the old fart still has a brand new black 88 kilometer 250 Ninja to sell at the right price if anyone wants a bargain ?

God truly hates me, I have currently gone down with a dose of "Gout" in the ankle ( ok all wet yourselves laughing now )

Walkings an effort, so chasing go go dancers & test riding Tiger motorcycles are on the back burner for another week, or at least till the tablets do their thing !

Sorry to hear about your health troubles- doesn't sound like a laughing matter and wishing you a speedy recovery!

You want to get rid of your almost-new Ninja 250? I'd be quite interested if the price is right :o (Why are you getting rid of it?)

You bought it for 139,900. Where I'm from they say the minute you drive a new vehicle off the lot it loses 25% of its value.

Have you posted your Ninja anywhere? I don't see on the the TV classifieds. I'd like to check it out.

Happy Trails!

hey now, now bigbike dont be showing of ya 2 cylinders against their single. otherwise i have to show off my 4 cylinders against ya 2.

hehehehehehe

and for like half the price i dont think the tiger is to bad.. my OLD CBR was half that again, but i did spend a bit getting it Faranged. eg using decent tyres etc. :o

Hey this could get well out of hand, you produce your 4 cylinder Honda & upstage the single pot job, then someone will show a Benelli 900 sei 6 cylinder & you are yesterdays news , then along comes some rich collector with an old Moto Guzzi V8,

it wont stop until Bubba in Arkansaw or somewhere drags his 36 clyinder radial Allison aircraft engined Harley out of its garage & gives everyone the oily finger.

Then imagine the damage you have done to the self esteem of the poor SOB who only had 1 cylinder, be kind ! ha ha haaaaaaaaaa

Tony.

Does any one know or have any thoughts about whether it is likely that a Honda dealer would be able to service/repair the boxer 250, if it is using an old /cloned honda engine?

My understanding (and you'll correct me if I'm wrong! :o ) is that the Tiger 250 sports a single cylinder non fuel injected low compression engine, so 1) the chances of it breaking should be pretty low, and 2) any halfway competent mechanic should be able to service/repair this bike without difficulty. Assuming parts can be ordered from Tiger I'd think this bike would be handy in any part of the country.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Sorry to hear about your health troubles- doesn't sound like a laughing matter and wishing you a speedy recovery!

You want to get rid of your almost-new Ninja 250? I'd be quite interested if the price is right :o (Why are you getting rid of it?)

You bought it for 139,900. Where I'm from they say the minute you drive a new vehicle off the lot it loses 25% of its value.

Have you posted your Ninja anywhere? I don't see on the the TV classifieds. I'd like to check it out.

Happy Trails!

Where do you come from where depreciation is that bad? I've heard of 5-10%, but never 25.......

Happy Trails!

Hi Big Bike,

Thanks for the kind words, Gout is yet another ailment that I can now wish on someone I dont like, ha ha haaaa

The Ninja is fantastic, I cant fault it, its black done just 88 kilometers from new 6 weeks back, still on its original tank of gas,

( heres the But ) But I screwed my back from too many years of formula car racing & after 20ks or so of riding the Ninja nails me big time , ( The fault is totally me not the Kawasaki )

I know Ninjas not a full head down Ass up riding position but even so its too much for my back, hense the likley purchase of an upright position 250 Boxer.

I havent bothered to advertise it anywhere as yet, I tried to put it on this site yesterday but gave up due to the technicalities ( Im not too good at that stuff its beyond me, I need a 14 yr old to put me right)

Bike comes with the full 13,000 baht kawasaki insurance ( less my 6 weeks of course )

Its parked looking real pretty here in Jomtien, & wants nothing except a rider with money & an ok back.

Want to talk ? my numbers 087-1487325 10am morning to 1am next morning ok.

Regards & again Thanks, Tony.

My nsr150 is too unreliable now, although when it goes it is like a little rocket. So after looking and reading and thinking of phantom because i am also getting old and unreliable, and seeing loads of phantoms down pinklao, i come across this forum about the boxer 250.

What a lot of useful and interesting information.

So tomorrow i am off to Phanomyothin to have a look at Tigar motorcycles. My main worry is i am going to live in Chiang Khong [N. Thailand] and i cannot believe there will be much option for service etc. from Tigar.

Im also looking real seriously at the Tiger 250 boxer & believe the engine was originally an Italian Cagiva unit & not A Honda. ( If you learn different let me know please. )

The bike looks really nice, I have looked at it twice now, it appears to be quite well built, it is simple to service & maintain, you should be able to do a fair bit of it yourself if you cant find a decent teccie.

Tony

The engine is a basic aircooled similar to the phantom, pretty much any decent mechanic can service and fix.

And with e.m.s being so good here you could probably live ontop that big mountain and still get spares. if you buy ask them for a parts manual or fiche to take with you.

Go get a test ride if you like buy it. its new so for about 2-3 years all ya gonna do is change oil and filters.

Allan

Most countries produce motorcycle engines that are fairly reliable. There's quite a bit of stigma against Chinese manufactured motorcycles, which although can be very good if there is a foreign interest involved, usually are crap. I haven't heard of Tiger using Chinese crap, so I'd assume you should be good for quite some time on the engine. And as it's been reiterated, any Somchai can work on it; add in the fact that should something catastrophic happen engines in Thailand are generally dirt cheap, you can't lose.

And looking at the specs it seems like a bored and stroked 200 (cos its 232cc which implies this) so engine cases and frame parts should be easy to get and cheap.

So come on guys go and buy one. or lend me the money at 10% per year and i'll go get one . :o:D :D

Allan

hi ,

I dont own a boxer yet but my friend and myself are going to order one on the 6th of December at the Tiger plant. I have an appointment with khun Parin coz he's the only one can speak English very well .He isn't earlier available coz he is in the phillipines for a businesstrip

My friends owns a 200 cc and rode 42000 kms together in one year never had any trouble with the Boxer only regular oil and filter changes.Ie My earlier post

As i heard unoffical information tiger is exporting a serious number of boxers to the neighboring countries.

I think the boxer isnt that bad like many think here.

i'll keep you all updated when i will riding mine .I really enjoyed riding it when i took it for a spin in Pattaya and BKK nice comfortable bike and for me fast enough

And looking at the specs it seems like a bored and stroked 200 (cos its 232cc which implies this) so engine cases and frame parts should be easy to get and cheap.

So come on guys go and buy one. or lend me the money at 10% per year and i'll go get one . :o:D:D

Allan

Hey Allan I thought you were a dedicated multi cylinder Honda man ? or have you guys in Bkk just heard the hot Pattaya story that the best looking Thai girls are begging Tiger Boxer 250 owners for a ride, & want to get in on the act, tee hee hee, Tony B.

The Tiger Touring top box is perfect size for next time you "Tour up country" to your girls village, if lucky you can later seat all the family inside for a day out, & its far cheaper than any new Toyota pick up.

Tony.

That is funny! :o

Your not alone with that bad back! I went to a ride day not so long ago and after a couple of laps on a GSX-R 600 my back was killing me.

How I wish for some sort of affordable back brace to fit under my leathers. Something light, made out of a strong flexible material.

Tony.

That is funny! :o

Your not alone with that bad back! I went to a ride day not so long ago and after a couple of laps on a GSX-R 600 my back was killing me.

How I wish for some sort of affordable back brace to fit under my leathers. Something light, made out of a strong flexible material.

Hi BSJ,

Im not joking here ok,

many years ago when I used to visit Mc scrambles ( Motocross today) a lot of the guys riding the big old heavy thumpers wore an all round body belt,

as I vaguely recall it was leather or canvas material, around 3 " wide at the front & increased in width as it passed across the kidney area, at the back it must have been around 6" to 8" wide & I guess gave huge support to the back.

I dont know if such things are still used in modern motocross or even manufactured, but Im sure if they are they will probably be a lot more sophisticated than the ones that I remember & may just give you what you are looking for support wise.

If you can locate one in UK & arrange it to go to the address where Im staying I will be there 17th to 28th Nov & could carry it back here for you.

Tony B.

Went to look at the boxer 250 late this afternooon at Pathonyothin rd.

I looked at it as a new general purpose bike for 72,000baht. At that price it doe'snt appear to have any competition. and in itself is probably ok value.

Its not exotic and certainly did not turn me on like maybe my nsr150 or cbr400 would, and i didnt feel like king of the road as i did on my cb400 when i used to live and ride in bangkok , but time has moved on and i just want a reliable, cheap, lightweight bike that i can feel comfotable with. At 5'9" it fitted me ok.

I was not too impressed with the set up of the demonstrator, as it had a tendency to cut out after start up and when moving away. GF says to me the guy blamed me for being too quick [???]. I notice rags stuffed down between mini fairing and instrument console and also between muffler and its circular holding clamp. Probably to stop rattles. I did'nt question why as the GF says i have 'bad attitude' and she gets upset.

General chit chat from the sales guy was that the police are happy with the 200 which is being/has been finished, as replaced with the 250, which the police will also buy. But in general, as yet not being taken up by Thai market. But then there has'nt been anything the same before.

Spares obtainable no problem, panniers/top box discontinued. can get small box carrier like on police bike, but likely i would get something fabricated and sort out some panniers/top box. Can get small windscreen [1000baht] again as seen police bike, which I would get. Think i would want to get some better tyres and improve the seat. Not worried about lack of tacho.

So there we are. Shall i buy one? Well i would have bought one today but i did'nt want the GF to know i had 72.000baht. And i did tell a friend to put off the purchase of a phantom until he had seen the boxer 250.

Went to look at the boxer 250 late this afternooon at Pathonyothin rd.

I looked at it as a new general purpose bike for 72,000baht. At that price it doe'snt appear to have any competition. and in itself is probably ok value.

Its not exotic and certainly did not turn me on like maybe my nsr150 or cbr400 would, and i didnt feel like king of the road as i did on my cb400 when i used to live and ride in bangkok , but time has moved on and i just want a reliable, cheap, lightweight bike that i can feel comfotable with. At 5'9" it fitted me ok.

I was not too impressed with the set up of the demonstrator, as it had a tendency to cut out after start up and when moving away. GF says to me the guy blamed me for being too quick [???]. I notice rags stuffed down between mini fairing and instrument console and also between muffler and its circular holding clamp. Probably to stop rattles. I did'nt question why as the GF says i have 'bad attitude' and she gets upset.

General chit chat from the sales guy was that the police are happy with the 200 which is being/has been finished, as replaced with the 250, which the police will also buy. But in general, as yet not being taken up by Thai market. But then there has'nt been anything the same before.

Spares obtainable no problem, panniers/top box discontinued. can get small box carrier like on police bike, but likely i would get something fabricated and sort out some panniers/top box. Can get small windscreen [1000baht] again as seen police bike, which I would get. Think i would want to get some better tyres and improve the seat. Not worried about lack of tacho.

So there we are. Shall i buy one? Well i would have bought one today but i did'nt want the GF to know i had 72.000baht. And i did tell a friend to put off the purchase of a phantom until he had seen the boxer 250.

First of all, looking at just your last paragraph, you're a very smart man.

I've also had issues with Thai mechanics not retrieving rags; I don't know if they were trying to silence vibrations or it was something less nefarious, but just wanted to point out my experiences.

Also a possibility is that the tester bike had set a while with crappy gasahol in the tank. That could cause the problems you described.

I´m a little bit surprised, that the 250 has a kickstart aswell. The first fotos from 1/2 year ago, were without it. And also my CRF 230, which has nearly the same engine hasn´t one. Kick and E-start together is really the best. Unfortunatly not fashion. I think a 250 TIGER is my next streetbike.

To the police tiger 200:

I´ve seen them everywhere in the country. Also in very small villages like Sangklaburi or Aranyaprathet or Lopburi.

BSJ you can get the neoprene/velcro work support belts they have braces to stop them riding down. i have one my self brought in the sports section of Tesco Lotus 495b BUT just seen them in a big new DIY store on highway 4 just past Nakhom pathom 'global place' or something like tha.

its about 1km past makro on the left. they do them for 295b. so next time you ride out this way on the 'IRON BUTT' or just out to kanchanburi check it out. also go inside and look at the baths .................bloody huge power baths with squirty jets etc.

Allan

Most countries produce motorcycle engines that are fairly reliable. There's quite a bit of stigma against Chinese manufactured motorcycles, which although can be very good if there is a foreign interest involved, usually are crap. I haven't heard of Tiger using Chinese crap, so I'd assume you should be good for quite some time on the engine. And as it's been reiterated, any Somchai can work on it; add in the fact that should something catastrophic happen engines in Thailand are generally dirt cheap, you can't lose.

Is " Chinese Crap " a recognised industry term ?

Tony B.