Tiger Boxer

jdinasia

121 kg only

Hi Everyone, I have two questions that Im sure someone on this forum must be able to answer please,

Firstly,

Kano says his new Tiger Boxer 250 has a bit of a wide turning circle, can this be anything to do with it having upside down front forks ?

Secondly,

Does anyone know what is the advantage ( perceived or otherwise ) of upside down forks, is it just a fairly recent trendy thing ? or is it something to do with reducing unsprung weight or what ? is it a more efficient damping medium ?

Everyone I have spoken to talks informatively until pressed for a real answer, but then cant say more than "Oh yes they are a lot better better than conventional forks"

if thats true does anyone know what is it thats better ?

handling ?

ride quality ?

keeping the front wheel on the ground longer over bumps ?

If it is the last of the 3 they will be great for parts of Jomtien where we dont so much have roads anymore but rather a huge number of holes with loose tarmac between them.

On the number 1 main road from Pattaya to Jomtien we are totally back to bare earth & loose gravel.

heres hoping for the definitive answer ???

Bros.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Vato im 1.86 m tall hence my previous posts.

Tony i think the upside down forks are trendy but also improved the steering qlty of the bike. I must say the Boxer is very responsive a lot more responsive then my SR400 .It responds instantly . And maybe it increases the stabilty of the bike the upside downs are a lot heavier and stronger i think.this is my humble opinion

Yes this is a minor point of the bike its turning circle once u get used to it its no problem anymore.But yesterday i nearly drove trough the Factory gate even before I rode 1 meter on the rd. a bit embarassing though ,everyone there was looking at me and i felt like an absolute beginner . hahahahahahahahahaha

Hi Everyone, I have two questions that Im sure someone on this forum must be able to answer please,

Firstly,

Kano says his new Tiger Boxer 250 has a bit of a wide turning circle, can this be anything to do with it having upside down front forks ?

No, the turning radius is determined by rake and trail. Rake is the angle the forks are positioned at and trail is how far off the line drawn down through the centre of the axle is from the line that is drawn through the centre of the forks.

Secondly,

Does anyone know what is the advantage ( perceived or otherwise ) of upside down forks, is it just a fairly recent trendy thing ? or is it something to do with reducing unsprung weight or what ? is it a more efficient damping medium ?

Upside down forks provide more area for the triple tree to hold on to. And since the cartridge section is obviously more squirmy then the solid shafts, the extra shoring of those brackets reduces how much they flex. Is it noticeable on the street? I doubt it, but it's there. I also can't answer the question about the unsprung weight, but I'd imagine it either wouldn't or might actually make it worst.

Everyone I have spoken to talks informatively until pressed for a real answer, but then cant say more than "Oh yes they are a lot better better than conventional forks"

handling ?

ride quality ?

If it is the last of the 3 they will be great for parts of Jomtien where we dont so much have roads anymore but rather a huge number of holes with loose tarmac between them.

On the number 1 main road from Pattaya to Jomtien we are totally back to bare earth & loose gravel.

Bros.

121 kg only

Firstly,

Secondly,

handling ?

ride quality ?

Bros.

upside down forks have been around a long time, probably atleast 20 years...originating in the motocross scene i believe (my stomping grounds)

for a conventional fork the 'longer' shaft would be the inner skinnier tube...so an upside down fork isnt just upside down, they extend the thicker tube making it less succeptible to flexing.

it would be possible that the turning radius is affected do to the forks, because the tube could take away up to 3 centimeters from the central turning pitch (neck) once it hits the left/right stoppers, because the tube is thicker...

kano85, you are talking about the turning radius from a stand still right?

have you ever driven a cbr in comparison to the tiger?...im having second thoughts about the cbr's power...im at full throttle much too often.

weird question here but maybe you can relate to it: does the displacement make the tiger or does the gear ratios make the bike?

have you ever driven a cbr in comparison to the tiger?...im having second thoughts about the cbr's power...im at full throttle much too often.

weird question here but maybe you can relate to it: does the displacement make the tiger or does the gear ratios make the bike?

the displacement makes the difference and also the gear ratio from the tiger is perfect. I had ridden a cbr 150 . I like the boxer a lot more but thats personal i dont like speed look a like bikes. Thais does.

The boxer is a lot more comfortable to cover long distances sunday i rode 350 kms and i didnt have any pains i cant say that on a CBR but again thats personal.Im already 42 ,dont like to be bend over all the time

And most of all i dont like the bee in a pickle pot sound from the Japanese bikes. The boxer has a great sound .i like single cylinders or max 2 like the BMW boxer

Someone asked about Madass. When I asked about 6 months ago, they were going for around 56 or 7 thousand Baht. The dealer opposite Sukhumvit 101 stocked them. Don't know whether he still has any but likely.

The neighbor, a policeman rides a Boxer 200. As it is not his, police property, he takes absolutely no care of it at all and its standing outside his house in all weather. What suprises me is that there is very little rust and it starts first time/everytime.

the gear ratios are a little too tight on the cbr for my taste, and i believe is what is keeping it in the powerband.

i just got back from a crosstown trip from bangna to nonthaburi, not too tired, but i usually like to keep riding...with the cbr im glad to get off.

boxer is 5 speeds correct and electric start? i hardly ever see 6th gear on the cbr...it can reach top speed in 5th, 6th is kinda like overdrive.

Edited by Vato

I know the title of this thread concerns Tiger Boxers, but notice many other types of bikes have also been discussed so please excuse my divergence.

A few days ago I was at Big C and saw a JRD which looked like a Honda Phantom for sale at 46,000Bt. From what I could tell it was a twin cylinder 150cc, high handlebars cruiser style complete with panniers. Looked like a nice bike all polished up new. Price says it was reduced from 56,000Bt. Any idea about this bike ?

Seems like a lot of bike for the price especially compared to the Yamaha Fino next to it.

Edited by sibeymai

hi to everyone and thx for all the information. But from now on i gonna post most of all my experience with my boxer on the Tiger boxer club site we better all join there.

from the moment im on the boxer i feel relaxed.here you can feel its Italian ancestors and great looks .Yesterday i was near CBR's and nobody looked at it. they all looked at mine and didnt want to believe its a boxer.

I am sure the Boxer has no comparison in its class and price its simply a good bike,and many people here had been blaming this bike without knowing why to blame it.

Once again I feel better om my boxer then any other Japanese bike like suzuki volty SR 400 or CBR 150 Phantom

when its reliabilty seems to be like the Japanese (many cops told me never had problems with the tiger) this is for me a lot better bike. for the best price

Tiger did a nice job for me .They did everything what they promised so i ow them something also. To post my experiences on the tiger motorcycle club.as well. And the Tiger boxer site moderator asked me also to share my experiences on the tiger boxer motorcycle club

I hope anyone will understand this i'll keep sharing my experiences here too.But priority will go to the boxer site.They trying their best to give a good service and i will try to help them selflessly .

Charlie

121 kg only

Firstly,

Secondly,

handling ?

ride quality ?

Bros.

upside down forks have been around a long time, probably atleast 20 years...originating in the motocross scene i believe (my stomping grounds)

for a conventional fork the 'longer' shaft would be the inner skinnier tube...so an upside down fork isnt just upside down, they extend the thicker tube making it less succeptible to flexing.

it would be possible that the turning radius is affected do to the forks, because the tube could take away up to 3 centimeters from the central turning pitch (neck) once it hits the left/right stoppers, because the tube is thicker...

kano85, you are talking about the turning radius from a stand still right?

Thank you both Dave Boo & Vato for your fork information,

now I am at least starting to grasp a little about why upside down forks exist, I had worked out that it probably had to be a bit more than just a sales gimmic I just couldent get my head round it all before, so again thank you.

Bros

also charlie why didn't you get a red plate

Um, TIT - the police want money, the police get money. Thats just how it works here.

Unless your dad happens to be a pu yai of some sort, then you get out of tickets, but I don't think it applies to too many farangs :o

A few days ago I was at Big C and saw a JRD which looked like a Honda Phantom for sale at 46,000Bt. From what I could tell it was a twin cylinder 150cc, high handlebars cruiser style complete with panniers. Looked like a nice bike all polished up new. Price says it was reduced from 56,000Bt. Any idea about this bike ?

Seems like a lot of bike for the price especially compared to the Yamaha Fino next to it.

A friend of mine had a JRD, had lots of problems with it until it caught on fire while he was driving to town. Avoid.

I want to improve our thread(s) about the Tiger Boxer. Lately we have lots of new posts that answer the OP - from owners. Lots of other posts, including mine and others', were not answering the OP. Would it be OK with most of us if I remove the off topic posts - over half of the 400 so far - and start the new year with the same thread?

I want to improve our thread(s) about the Tiger Boxer. Lately we have lots of new posts that answer the OP - from owners. Lots of other posts, including mine and others', were not answering the OP. Would it be OK with most of us if I remove the off topic posts - over half of the 400 so far - and start the new year with the same thread?

Hi Blondie,

That seems like a sensible idea to me I guess, & as Im guilty of some of the off topic crap its probably good to have a clear out whilst you can,

Oh Yes, A very Happy New Year to you & yours when it arrives.

Bros.

2000 km on the teller and in Chiang Mai.Great bike and so easy to handle in the mountains.

and a spicy detail.none of the bikes i met could follow me or even passed me especially in the mountains .Taking over the cars is a piece of cake .a nice bike so far not a speeding bike i think its max is 150 - 160 km/h but sporty cruising wow wow :o:D :D

TIGER deserves more(and now im sure many people had been negative about this bike , without knowing anything ) b4n my detailed report will be on tiger boxer club.

2000 km on the teller and in Chiang Mai.Great bike and so easy to handle in the mountains.

and a spicy detail.none of the bikes i met could follow me or even passed me especially in the mountains .Taking over the cars is a piece of cake .a nice bike so far not a speeding bike i think its max is 150 - 160 km/h but sporty cruising wow wow :o:D:D

TIGER deserves more(and now im sure many people had been negative about this bike , without knowing anything ) b4n my detailed report will be on tiger boxer club.

I've always cheered for the Tiger Boxer. There was a plan to get one of the 250s, but a series of unfortunate events has precluded that. The post I've quoted here states pretty much the exact reason I was interested; the Boxer is much more akin to say a BMW 600GS than say a CBR 600RR. Two totally different machines that excel in their respective fields.

and a spicy detail.none of the bikes i met could follow me or even passed me especially in the mountains .Taking over the cars is a piece of cake .a nice bike so far not a speeding bike i think its max is 150 - 160 km/h but sporty cruising wow wow :D:D:D

I've always cheered for the Tiger Boxer. There was a plan to get one of the 250s, but a series of unfortunate events has precluded that. The post I've quoted here states pretty much the exact reason I was interested; the Boxer is much more akin to say a BMW 600GS than say a CBR 600RR. Two totally different machines that excel in their respective fields.

kano, pics please :o

As you can see some roads are very safe in Thailand .

post-69913-1230950702_thumb.jpg

post-69913-1230950765_thumb.jpg

I dont have any problem with critics but they must be true. When my bike is parked all thai people come to talk with me luckily i speak thai.

If Tiger has the financial power to put up a dealernet maybe the japs can start copying TIGER hahahahahaha

post-69913-1230951104_thumb.jpg

Hi kano85, yours is the first one I have seen in yellow and I think it looks very smart.

Steering lock is dictated by rack, trail and at walking pace or less the steel slug welded to the frame. If the slug has been put on sideways or is thick anyway it can limit the amount of lock.

Years ago I had one bike new from the dealers which had more lock one side than the other. The assembler at the dealer had routed a bunch of cables wrong and were getting jammed in the closing gap! Annoying.

But that's a lot better than a Kwacka 1000 I bought which had loose bolts on the triple clamp... including the steering head bolt!

Hi BSJ,

its the first and only one in Thailand.It was my design and idea.I asked TIGER and yes they did a great deal.

today i covered Chiang Mai Nkhonsawan about 463kms.and i im still very fit no back pains no pain in my arms great bike for long distances.

average fuel consumption is 3.5l/100km cruising speed 110 - 12o km/h

i covered it in 7 hrs with a few stops for an amazon coffee and a meal .Great job Boxer if you continue to perform like this there is no better new bike available in Thailand.

Charlie