New aircon

hukster

If you are thinking central air conditioning it is almost never done here as the homes are not designed for it and it would be extremely wasteful with the cement/brick walls here.  Most people install split systems with a wall mount unit these days.  You should see shops around with them in front or in window.  Any of them install as well as sell.  Also Lotus, Big C will have them installed for you if you buy there.

I have seen houses with 3 separate units one for each bedroom, and one for the living room, with the unit outside, and the condensor mounted on the wall. Is this what you mean by split units? I wasn't aware that big C sells these units.

That is what I mean.  Don't live in Pattaya but assume Big C would sell them along with other 'white' goods.  They, Central, Power Buy, Robinson are all part of the same group and believe all sell air conditioning.

These units are not cheap but keep most of the noise outside and seem to be much more rustproof than the single piece wall units.  With the three units you would only use what is needed.  Look on the sticker for how effecient the unit is (the best cost more).  Also check the filter material.  My Senji Denki has great filters but new LG is so bad have to use 3M electrostatic Filtrete on top to keep it clean inside.

The cheapest units made locally will be about the same as their BTU output 13,000 btu for 13,000 baht; but better made known brands will cost about double that.  You pay more for better compressors and materials.

Thanks Lopburi3. I really don't know the size to put in. The living room is about 600 sqr feet, and the bedrooms are about 270 sqr feet. Correct me if i'm wrong that would make the living room 200 sqr meters, and the bedrooms 90 sq meters. do you have an idea of the sizes we will need?

Correct me if i'm wrong

You are wrong.  Sorry, don't mean to get on your case today but the easy way to convert is to say 10 sq feet to each sq meter so 600 sq feet would be about 60 sq meters for living room and 27 for bedrooms.  You may not need in living room as I still just use fans even in Bangkok.  If bedrooms are ground level you may be able to use 13k units.  My two ground level bedrooms are about 300 sq feet and one has 13k and the other 18k (which is what Thai recommend - they like chill box rooms).  If upstairs with heat transfer from attic you may want larger units.  Stores should have sq meter recommendations available.  You might want to buy on the smaller side to keep the humidity down.

Thanks Lopburi,

I really had no idea i was just doing anestimated guess. My living room, and kitchen is actually ajoined, so i will have to get a bigger unit for the living room. One more quiestion:

is it more reasonable to buy from Big C, Lotus, or Tesco than an aircon store, and do they warantee?

I would check the superstores for price and then see if you can get the same from a local shop.  They all seem to sell at about the same price as a bottom line but shops may try to charge too much at first.  It is not too important where you buy as I have never required warranty service in 30 years experience (they always fail a month or two later) but a local shop may provide maintenance service.  But if you ask around you can always find someone to take care of any problem with air conditioning without much trouble.  Trying to find a competent electrician is another story.

As the air is cooled water is removed.  If the unit is over size it will cool the room, (too quickly), but little water will be removed and you will feel clammy and start growing mold around the belt line. :o

Slow and steady wins in this climate.

• 1 year later...