Thread For Older Teachers

phormio

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I a taffy? I thought that was twisted candy at the seashore.

Being over 60 is not an advantage. It's the mandatory retirement age for Thai teachers, and they think it's old. I convinced them otherwise, but they were desperate. Now I'm hitting the pavement again, resume in hand, and I think it's counting against me. Unless it's the ponytail, the sportbike, the false teeth, etc. Even Bangkok has exceptions. If they see you as a 'proper teacher' with classroom experience, and you have a BA or better, and a TEFL cert, most of them would overlook the age. Still, some employers think you have to be bouncy and fluffy to jump up and down with the kiddies. I do; maybe I'm fluffy.

bit like the Thai job ads:...eg..

Senior Attractive femail manager/executive required.

Must have an MBA/MA from foreign university,sa-speak fluent Thai-Chinese-Japanese and English.

Min.20 years in similar senior position and be under the age of 27 :o:D

Starting salary Bt 9,000 month with green shield stamps :D

Am I a taffy?  I thought that was twisted candy at the seashore.

Looks like we have found another UK/US translation problem.

In UK taffy is slang for a welshman, but I have just done a google on Taffy and much to my surprise it also means twisted candy in the US.

Live and learn

Am I a taffy?  I thought that was twisted candy at the seashore.

Looks like we have found another UK/US translation problem.

In UK taffy is slang for a welshman, but I have just done a google on Taffy and much to my surprise it also means twisted candy in the US.

Live and learn

I believe the word Taffy or just Taff is taken from the river Taff which runs through Cardiff.

Mind you we in the Welsh speaking areas of north Wales don't consider the southerners as 'real' Welsh.

:o

Welshman, if you do a quick scan of the ads on www.ajarn.com (or its equivalent at teflasia.com or whatever), you'll see that some ads request young, meaning under 40 or even under 30. However, they ask for the sky and take the swamp. They do prefer young females for the preschool classes.

Some people will say that Asians in general have such high respect for older people that they'll prefer you. Others say that is not true, and they don't want someone working beneath them who's older. I doubt both statements hold much water.

I went to a job interview yesterday, trying to act all dynamic and perky. But they want me to take the wages of a young, untrained, perky person straight off the plane, or 67% of the wage I want. I said no. Apparently they just want a young, perky face cheaply.

While many describe U.S. taffy as "twisted" since it is often seen with swirly alternate colors in the finished piece, it is actually "pulled", that is worked by pulling it with rotating bars similar to what is done to bread by machines in some cases.

My favorite candy is "saltwater" taffy, although I doubt there is any saltwater in it. It is often seen for sale near the ocean, so that might have something to do with that terminology.

Welshman, if you do a quick scan of the ads on www.ajarn.com (or its equivalent at teflasia.com or whatever), you'll see that some ads request young, meaning under 40 or even under 30.  However, they ask for the sky and take the swamp.  They do prefer young females for the preschool classes. 

Some people will say that Asians in general have such high respect for older people that they'll prefer you.  Others say that is not true, and they don't want someone working beneath them who's older.  I doubt both statements hold much water. 

I went to a job interview yesterday, trying to act all dynamic and perky.  But they want me to take the wages of a young, untrained, perky person straight off the plane, or 67% of the wage I want.  I said no.  Apparently they just want a young, perky face cheaply.

Maybe I'll need to forsake my usual suit and tie, get myself some beads, dreadlock my hair and buy some ripped jeans from the charity shop !

• 5 months later...

My Thai boss recently told me that she was having trouble placing a co-worker who is over 60. He did a demo class at a government Matthayom and they said "He's perfect, but we can't use any teachers over the age of 55". They then went on to say that this is a new government policy that will apply to all government schools and universities. :D

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Or were the admin at that school just talking through their hats? :o

I believe it has to do with the work permits- there's a legal age limit to issuing them, so at jobs where work permits are an important issue (that's not such a high percentage of them, though) you might run into an age limit. However, given the huge demand for workers, I've seen most schools find a way to get around these things for their older workers. Good luck.

"Steven"

I started teaching matayom full time 2 years ago, when I was 61. No problem with age limit. When we went to Labour Dept. to apply for WP, the problem was not age limit, but that the province had never, in all recorded history, issued a WP to a teacher.

It is a rule for rajabats and unis, apparently, but if they want the teacher, they can get around it or pay him under the table.

If the school is misinformed about this important issue, there's no telling what else they're ignorant about.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering at what age it becomes difficult to get teaching jobs in los. I have a handy translating gig at the mo but it may come to an end at some stage. Im 30 and would like to have teaching as a fallback if the other goes belly up (yes, i know the pay is crap etc). I have my cert and about a years tefl experience.

Also, in korea and japan is it easier to teach as a 'mature' (i.e old) person.

Need to plan for the long term, i dont wanna go back to my uninhabitable rock in the north atlantic!!

shaymo, 30 is not old. 98 is old. Even Peter Pan is old when he's 103.

In the long term, we all die. Seriously, over 50 is old, and some short-sighted recruiters think 45 is old. I showed them that 62 was young, and that's in the simple past tense. I was very continuously, progressively active.

Age is not too important, however, I see a lot of schools looking for younger teahcers, between 25-35. As long as you look young or look younger than your age if you're 70, you can find a job. But honestly, once you approach 60, especially if you look 60, you will find it a bit harder to get jobs. Thailand is getting more desperate for teachers and if teachers continue to leave, the older ones might start finding it easier to get teaching jobs for the time being.

Some teachers are boring at age 22. The oldest teachers sometimes are the most boring, because after you've taught the same thing 179 times, your voice tends to go on autopilot, monotonously.

Thai teachers who have pensions retire at age 60; apparently it's mandatory in public schools, including rajabats and unis. So, that's the popular image: too old to excite teenagers. Heck, when's the last time you saw a 29 year old Thai teacher in the classroom give an exciting lesson?

On the other hand, if they don't want teachers - if they just want white monkeys or comedians or cover models - bring in the clowns, young and gorgeous.

In the long term, we all die. Seriously, over 50 is old, and some short-sighted recruiters think 45 is old. I showed them that 62 was young, and that's in the simple past tense. I was very continuously, progressively active.

But Peter Pan never gets old PB. 'He has been young for a long time' - Present Perfect for unfinished past actions.

He's active, but not progressively, and impossible to describe his situation as passive - 'he has been gotten old'???

IMHO and I'm sorry to say this, but if you are young and good-looking then you will probably find it easier to get a good teaching position.

At a previous school of mine the director of the school had set favourites and would ALWAYS choose them to represent the school at functions and events...

Some teachers are boring at age 22. The oldest teachers sometimes are the most boring, because after you've taught the same thing 179 times, your voice tends to go on autopilot, monotonously.

Thai teachers who have pensions retire at age 60; apparently it's mandatory in public schools, including rajabats and unis. So, that's the popular image: too old to excite teenagers. Heck, when's the last time you saw a 29 year old Thai teacher in the classroom give an exciting lesson?

On the other hand, if they don't want teachers - if they just want white monkeys or comedians or cover models - bring in the clowns, young and gorgeous.

If they want you and/or need you, you can continue teaching at a government university after age 60 complete with work permit and such. There are provisions for this. Sometimes you need to ask. Other times, they tell you about them without your asking.

Edited by mopenyang

I didn't mean to say that foreign teachers have to be under 60, although the rajabat-uni folks sometimes think so. I taught at remote provincial matayom schools that didn't care how old I was. Of course, they didn't work at getting me legal at any age. I'm sure every rule has exceptions aplenty.

In the long term, we all die. Seriously, over 50 is older, and some short-sighted recruiters think 45 is old. I showed them that 62 was young, and that's in the simple past tense. I was very continuously, progressively active.

PB fully support your post, although could I suggest a small change - old to older - The " I showed them that 62 was young" clearly demonstrates you only as old as you want to be. In the simple present " I am continously, progressive and extremely active" and proud to say that although I served 22 years in the services I do not look or act militarized. :D

I have an Aunty who is 92 and still a fine figure a woman (no addresses given) she doesn't know how lucky she is that we are related. :o

Age is a state of mind.

I know people nearly dead at 42 and others living like 25 at age 75.

In Thailand many jobs say no teachers wanted over age 45.

So you will face discrimination if an older person like me.

But not everyone has that attitude so it just means you need

to work a little harder to find a position. Hard work is easy because

it is in your control.

Why are you asking about age if you are 30 ?

Edited by paulfr

Age is a state of mind. I know people nearly dead at 42 and others living like 25 at age 75. In Thailand many jobs say no teachers wanted over age 45. So you will face discrimination if an older person like me.But not everyone has that attitude so it just means you need to work a little harder to find a position. Hard work is easy because it is in your control.Why are you asking about age if you are 30 ?

Yes there is discrimination but it doesn't have to be a barrier to finding a job. Like you say you just have to work a little harder to find the right position for you.

30 year olds worrying about discrimination! Whatever next!

A lot of times the job requirements are presented as a fantasy wishlist. Asking for a 25 yo white female teacher with a Ph.D and an M.Ed to do TEFL in Mukdahan for 20K a month is living in fantasy world- if you're a clean-cut, professional 55 yo with a Bachelor's and a TEFL they'd probably jump at the chance to hire you if you'd work for that wage.

"S"

• 7 months later...

Is there age discrimination re teaching assignments in Thai? I am an old phogey (59yrs) but would like to teach english and maybe computer science but wonder if its worth the time and money investing in a TEFL if Im going to simply be too old. Have an MSc and BA from the UK as well as 30 years writing computer manuals, sotware engineering, s/w development etc. Thanks