Thread For Older Teachers

phormio

I am 64 and officially retired. I have a BS degree in Agriculture and am currently taking an online TEFL course. Most of my career has been in marketing and I have experience teaching in seminar settings, conferences, business workshops, etc. I am also a member of ASTD (American Society of Training & Development) and was thinking that I might teach Business English in either a school or corporate setting.

I have read a number of job announcements recently that specifically restrict eligibility for teaching contracts to those much younger than myself.

I was wondering if anyone on this list had any experience with age bias or have knowledge of any hurdles I might have? Am I fighting an uphill battle here?

Appreciate any help you can offer... Thanks!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I appreciate your time and input. This is an extraordinarily responsive and helpful group of people.

Based on your feedback I guess I will give up on the idea of having one last adventure in life. The age factor seems to be a major stumbling block and is one which, unfortunately, I can not reverse. :-)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 64 and officially retired. I have a BS degree in Agriculture and am currently taking an online TEFL course. Most of my career has been in marketing and I have experience teaching in seminar settings, conferences, business workshops, etc. I am also a member of ASTD (American Society of Training & Development) and was thinking that I might teach Business English in either a school or corporate setting.

I have read a number of job announcements recently that specifically restrict eligibility for teaching contracts to those much younger than myself.

I was wondering if anyone on this list had any experience with age bias or have knowledge of any hurdles I might have? Am I fighting an uphill battle here?

Appreciate any help you can offer... Thanks!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I appreciate your time and input. This is an extraordinarily responsive and helpful group of people.

Based on your feedback I guess I will give up on the idea of having one last adventure in life. The age factor seems to be a major stumbling block and is one which, unfortunately, I can not reverse. :-)

Well, you might want to consider a different one last adventure.

I too am 64. I have a job I like but it isn't a high-payer. Korea is the place where age really does matter. I was there 7 years ago. Because they, the Koreans, retire at about 50 they see a guy like us as we'd see a teacher in our homeland at 75 .. too old to teach.

I too am 64. I have a job I like but it isn't a high-payer. Korea is the place where age really does matter. I was there 7 years ago. Because they, the Koreans, retire at about 50 they see a guy like us as we'd see a teacher in our homeland at 75 .. too old to teach.

Very true and one of many things there that can't be reconciled with the reality that we are now in the 8th year of the 21st Century. :o

Your mileage will vary. With at least one master's degree, uni teaching experience, sharp dresser, smooth talker, and standard English speech - you might still be teaching at 71. With no degree, no experience, not good speech or appearance - you might be jobless at 22 or 52.

We have one teacher over 60 years old at the private primary/secondary school I work for in BKK. Every year the school needs to write a letter stating that he is a good teacher and is in good health for him to get a special dispensation to obtain a work permit.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

PB is right about uni's. Our entire native-English speaker staff are all geriatrics (including moi). I think only 1 or 2 of us have a TEFL certificate. Some schools think age is an advantage: experience, maturity, etc. Shop around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a qualified teacher - BA, MA, PGCE (English/History) - with teaching experience in England. I've also worked as a proof-reader and style editor. I thought I'd retired but I find myself in financial need so need to go back to the chalk face. My concerns are that I've been 'out of the loop' for a few years and I'm 58. Problems? Or just go for it?

Cheers

Since this pressing question seems to come up time and again without anyone having bothered to use the search function to locate the many past threads of this nature, I will now merge this and all present and future threads into one big "what if I'm an older teacher" thread in order to make the excellent (and contradictory) advice of past, present, and future available to the aging teacher population.

Good move, ijwt.

Lots of bad, dubious, questionable, incorrect, depressing, misleading and false information out there.

This is as good a place as any to add some clarification to the many issues surrounding opportunities for older teachers in Thailand.

• 2 months later...

I am a teacher in Australia with a degree and Dip Ed - 4year trained. I have been teaching (not English) for eight years now and have taught 13year old to 18year olds. I am qualified to teach technology and media (which here in Aus covers middle school English). My English is actually pretty fair. In addition I had a number of years in business. I was runner up for best teacher of the year for our state and was rewarded by my peers by being nominated as best teacher for my school. My students have won many awards. I say this to demonstrate that I really do love teaching and seeing kids do well and am prepared to do whatever it takes to get them over the line. I teach in a pretty tough government school of 1500 upper school students.

I am learning Thai at the local Tech and I do about an hour a day practice. I am just starting to get to grips with written Thai.

I heve been to Thailand a few times and love it. I would like to do a TEFL course - possibly the one offered by Chiang Mai Uni - going up there this December/Jan with a view to Teaching down the track.

However, I am now 60 and although I can teach here up to 75 I suspect this might be a problem in Thailand. I could retire but would rather keep active. And naturally a little bit of extra cash always helps.

Any constructive or factual comments would be welcomed.

You can get work inside and outside of Bangkok. If yo would like some Bangkok contacts, please PM me. As for the TEFL, my advice is not to waste your money. A Dip. Ed. is way more than sufficient PLUS you avoid the Thai teachers license exams with it. Good luck in the future!

Some government schools cannot hire someone age 60 or over. Also, some government schools cannot allow teachers 70 or older to work for them. With this in mind, I know a government school in my province that recently hired a 72-year old ESL teacher. The province has the age limits as set forth above for ESL teachers at government schools. Go figure.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

at my school we have several teachers over 60.just make sure your doing prathom 6 and above.

below this you may find it to tiring. one of our teachers is suffering this year cos they changed his classes. but next year he's back to the older students.

Allan