Thread For Older Teachers

phormio

Bad if recent reports are true and you have no real reason to stay in Bangkok - no 7 day period now unless you obtain an extension of stay - so that is 1,900 baht down the tube - if you immediately leave you could avoid that. Those are 30 day visa exempt stamps you plant to get - they are not visas. You can use up to 90 days on them.
I may be wrong but I believe in order to stay for the seven days you have to get a seven day extension from immigration at the cost of 1900 baht. Otherwise you are subject to overstay fines but as I said I may be wrong.

With all due respect, Yes, in this case ............ you are wrong.

I am curious...why would your school care about what visa you are holding as long as it entitles you to work?

Regards, Martian

[/size]

Basically because they are bureaucrats [lazy & afraid] and do not want to do something different from the rest

of the other Farang teachers. Only when I told them I would quit and find another job did they allow

me to work with my Thai Wife Visa rather than their standard Non Imm B Visa.

Ok then, I was just going by lopburi3's post. He usually knows what he is talking about. Thanks for the info :o

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no 7 day grace period to leave any longer - you leave the day your employment ends or you pay overstay. You can obtain a 7 day extension from Immigration. We have had multiple posts confirming this.

No visa allows work - only a work permit allows that. For the last year or so work permits were not issued for those on retirement extensions of stay but it appears that is about to change and those here on retirement will be able to obtain work permits.

• 2 weeks later...
There is no 7 day grace period to leave any longer - you leave the day your employment ends or you pay overstay. You can obtain a 7 day extension from Immigration. We have had multiple posts confirming this.

No visa allows work - only a work permit allows that. For the last year or so work permits were not issued for those on retirement extensions of stay but it appears that is about to change and those here on retirement will be able to obtain work permits.

If you are on good terms with the employer/school when you leave, they have the

option of waiting any resonable length of time before they notify the Labor Dept

that you are no longer working. So the school can give you 7 to 30 days to get

things straightened out for yourself [new job, border run, etc.] if they want to.

Also met a guy at a party recently who teaches on his retirement visa so apparently it is

now an acceptable visa for teaching. [Yes, I am sure he has a work permit]

Edited by paulfr

^That would be very interesting news, Paulf, and I'm inclined to disbelieve it until I start to hear corroboration from more than that one source. Did you see the work permit? Did it actually place him at a school somewhere (just having the work permit doesn't permit one to do just any kind of work- it could be related to a business, for example).

"S"

I did not see the work permit, but he is at my school a a new

hire so I know he is teaching. I saw that his US Passport showed the retirement

stamp.

I will investigate further because I thought it strange that I have

not heard a whisper about this new policy before I met the

fellow.

I would still be leary about switching to retirement visa even if it were

a new policy because in LOS, things can change quickly and it would

not surprise me if 6 months from now they changed their mind

and rescinded the order.

Wow Lop.... that seems like a HUGE change that would impact many many people....

I haven't seen any prior mention of that here.... What's going on...and what do we think we know's coming???

• 2 months later...

I have worked in education all my life, but I have not taught in schools for many years. I use to teach maths and science. I am on a retirement visa at the moment. I was thinking of doing some part-time teaching for some pocket money and for something to do. I was just wondering if I should do a TESOL course, so I could also teach English? Also, I am not sure how much part-time work is available in Pattaya? Also, I am not sure if I can teach on a retirement visa? Any advice appreciated.

I have worked in education all my life, but I have not taught in schools for many years. I use to teach maths and science. I am on a retirement visa at the moment. I was thinking of doing some part-time teaching for some pocket money and for something to do. I was just wondering if I should do a TESOL course, so I could also teach English? Also, I am not sure how much part-time work is available in Pattaya? Also, I am not sure if I can teach on a retirement visa? Any advice appreciated.

You cannot legally work on a retirement visa. It may not matter, because teaching jobs for native speakers are almost non-existent in Pattaya. That being said, you could probably pick up 8-10 hours/week of private tutoring in math, science or English in Pattaya. Don't bother with a TESOL/TEFL.

Agree the TESOL/TEFL is not needed if you have Ed credentials.

Soem people do teach with a retirement visa but officially this is not permitted.

One guy at my school is in that category; retirement visa but on staff with WP.

There are lots of kids who need tutoring in Math/Sci [the poorly performing ones

who want to go to good Uni] but you need to knwo someone usually to get

known. You can try an ad and that may draw initial clients.

Good luck.

I am looking for someone to tutor my daughter mostly in English for an hour a day and or a few hours a week. She is 9 years old and needs some extra help in the English department.

Would you be interested? We are located in Pattaya.

A

Under the new work permit rules it is now possible to work with a retirement visa. There have been reports that people actually got them in BKK and Chonburi, it was refused in Nonthaburi.

This is really important. Can anyone confirm if it is accurate or not?

I am 64 and officially retired. I have a BS degree in Agriculture and am currently taking an online TEFL course. Most of my career has been in marketing and I have experience teaching in seminar settings, conferences, business workshops, etc. I am also a member of ASTD (American Society of Training & Development) and was thinking that I might teach Business English in either a school or corporate setting.

I have read a number of job announcements recently that specifically restrict eligibility for teaching contracts to those much younger than myself.

I was wondering if anyone on this list had any experience with age bias or have knowledge of any hurdles I might have? Am I fighting an uphill battle here?

Appreciate any help you can offer... Thanks!

Edited by onlinemarketing

I am often mistaken and ill-informed. I started teaching in Thailand at age 60, full time, at Thai government schools. The fact that I never got a work permit may have had nothing to do with age. Or, it might have; I doubt we will ever know. Most of the university lecturers here say that age is no problem at their unis. But most of them started before age 60 or had master's degrees and experience in uni settings.

Welcome to the indefinite kingdom of uncertainties. If you get an answer to most of your questions, it will be irrelevant.

Really, it is true. The first serious question I asked my Thai boss was, "Does anybody else teach English to my M4 class?" Of course, he did not answer me. About five or six months later, I accidentally learned they were being taught advanced grammar by the Ed.D. Thai teacher. There was no reason not to tell me. But he was preparing to become a school administrator. :o That non-answer stifled me for the next two years. I no longer cared to know. That Ed.D. was the M4 coordinator who neglected to give me a copy of the M4 curriculum. Mai bpen freaking rai, the curriculum was meaningless anyway. So was she. It taught me to ignore what Thai educators do say. It means less than what they don't say. They dress very sharply on Fridays, though, and they smile very nicely, and have good hearts, and wai well. Well, wai not?

I am often mistaken and ill-informed. I started teaching in Thailand at age 60, full time, at Thai government schools. The fact that I never got a work permit may have had nothing to do with age. Or, it might have; I doubt we will ever know. Most of the university lecturers here say that age is no problem at their unis. But most of them started before age 60 or had master's degrees and experience in uni settings.

Welcome to the indefinite kingdom of uncertainties. If you get an answer to most of your questions, it will be irrelevant.

I must concur with you on this issue too PB, and although we do not always see things exactly the same Thailand is definitely the "kingdom of uncertainties". I do think that there is room for the 20,30,40,50,and even 60 somethings in the LOS. I work with an Aussie who is 57 years old and a fellow yank who teaches M4-M6.The yank has been with the school for only 2 years and is now 62 years old. Both of these guys are teaching legally with all of the "fixings" including WP. The yank (who is a nice guy) TELLS the school that they need to schedule his classes before noon and they accommodate him. He is teaching basic English in the EP and is pulling in around 40,000 baht a month. I think he draws a little pension from the states too. It just goes to show that even with all of the uncertainties here, there are still possibilities. I hope that this reply was somewhat relevant :o

Edited by mizzi39

I am 70 something, have taught in Thai universities for four years. Have wp and am fully legal. Age is not an issue. I do have a doctorate in education which may help. If you are qualified, can still walk and chew gum and can relate to Thai students, what's the problem???????

I am 70 something, have taught in Thai universities for four years. Have wp and am fully legal. Age is not an issue. I do have a doctorate in education which may help. If you are qualified, can still walk and chew gum and can relate to Thai students, what's the problem???????

I concur with you too scalawag! :o

I am 64 and officially retired. I have a BS degree in Agriculture and am currently taking an online TEFL course. Most of my career has been in marketing and I have experience teaching in seminar settings, conferences, business workshops, etc. I am also a member of ASTD (American Society of Training & Development) and was thinking that I might teach Business English in either a school or corporate setting.

I have read a number of job announcements recently that specifically restrict eligibility for teaching contracts to those much younger than myself.

I was wondering if anyone on this list had any experience with age bias or have knowledge of any hurdles I might have? Am I fighting an uphill battle here?

Appreciate any help you can offer... Thanks!

>> Thanks to all who attempted to shed some light on this subject for me. I appreciate it. There does not seem to be a clear answer to the issue... but I do thank all for their time and input.

One other question has surfaced based on some feedback I am getting from other sources:

Q: Are online TEFL courses accepted?

I am getting a lot of mixed messages on this subject. Many say the are just fine... others swear that they are not worth the paper they are written on... and certainly not worth the money. Can any of you shed some light on this one for me, please?

Thom Reece

You will get the same mix of responses here. Why don't you call up one or two of the types of places you're hoping to work and ask what they're looking for, exactly? The TEFL doesn't seem to make much difference anymore with regard to public primary and secondary qualifications; you really need something along the lines of an educational degree- if you've got that the TEFL is pretty irrelevant except as far as you think you may need it. On the other hand, if you're going with language schools it might be more important.

Neither the online nor classroom TEFL courses are required by any known govt. licensing body, although you can never say for sure. Schools might require it, or a classroom-attended TEFL course might help you to get a first job. If you have never taught children and now plan to, a course might be very helpful. But it is not required for licensing or work permits, so far as I have ever heard.

Ok to the best of my knowledge you can get a work permit at any age. The problem you will have is getting a job. Yes they are out there, but the older you are the harder they are to get. I am 57 and at 56 I taught at a school through a placement agency. My appraisal by the placement agency was very good as it was from the school, and i have heard from a member of TV who has a nephew and niece that went to that school that they thought I was a very good teacher, but the school did not renew my contract because they said I was too old. I have also failed to get interviews at other schools because they wanted teachers under 45, so yes there will be less jobs available because of your age, but there will still be some jobs out there. Issangeorge

geirge, sorry to hear that some administrators think you are too old. I doubt that in itself is the main factor. Or, I doubt that the simple fact that you did a good job already, is a main factor. I doubt the evaluations matter. You may never know the real reason. Good luck on your search.

Last year I worked in an EP Program at a large school in Bangkok. There were 7 foreign teachers there, 3 in their 20's and the other 4 ranged in age from 50 (me) to 63. We (the older teachers) all had good qualifications, were experienced teachers, were in good health and had perfect, or nearly perfect attendance records.

It is possible for an older teacher to get a job. However, you'll probably find it easier to get that job is you are obviously better qualified than the competition!

Edited by otherstuff1957

I think PB is right. It's really a crap shoot as you get older. The point is that you can find work, but it might not be up to you to chose, you may have to get what's offered to you. Where I work, I always get a mixed reaction from the director when I give her the application of the over 60 group. Sometimes it's OK, no problem and sometimes it's he/she's "too old." Never known it to be based on anything like qualifications, experience etc. Probably based on what her fortune teller told her that day!