To Be Or Not To Be... Waitlisted

pete_r

If I am put on a waitlist when booking a flight, is there a way to estimate the probability of getting a seat on that specific flight?

So far my waitlisted bookings have always been confirmed, but I wonder what happens in the case no seat becomes available?

Thanks for any input,

I have never heard of anybody being wait-listed by a travel agency - as they only get a commission for a successful booking.

I have had a very negative experience at Suvarnabhumi when my former partner wanted to go stand-by on the same Thai Airways flight as me back to Australia. But - that's another story.

One question: Is this a domestic or international flight?

To answer your question - if not seat is available on the flight - you either catch the next flight or go home and try again the next day. You could be in for a double whammy - there may be no economy seats available and you may have to pay extra for business class.

Peter

Sometimes airlines wait list requests for the cheapest seats to see if demand is high enough to sell all their seats at a higher price.

TO answer the OP it depends. Normally if you are wait listed a few months before the flight you'll get the flight, but your travel agent should keep an eye on the flight at if it seems to be getting over full advise you to try another date/airline.

Personally if you have to travel that date I'd make another booking and get the agent to hold it - but I am assuming you are in Thailand where that is possible without paying. Not see easy elsewhere.

If I am put on a waitlist when booking a flight, is there a way to estimate the probability of getting a seat on that specific flight?

So far my waitlisted bookings have always been confirmed, but I wonder what happens in the case no seat becomes available?

Thanks for any input,

There is no real way of estimating whether a waitlist will be cleared but if it's out of season the chances it will be, tell your agent it's a definite booking with perseverance it is possible.

Edited by enyaw

Thanks for any input,

:o Travel agency will sometimes reserve a block of seats to popular destinations during peak periods...say, as an example, to Rio during Carnival week. They hope to be able to fill those seats with paying passengers. If it gets close to the departure time, and the seats are not full, they turn them back to the airline. The airline then has the seats available for sale. For that reason if you are wait-listed you may still hve a chance on getting on a "full" flight. Just depends on circumstances.

You will find this to be common going to the middle east...especially Saudi Arabia...during the Haj period when many moslems are going to Saudi. The travel agent will have booked a block of seats. hoping to fill them. If they don't, and the flight is close to leaving, the unfilled deats are suddenly available. If you are there, or ready to leave at short notice, you can often get a seat.

Not that this has much to do with the original subject, but for anyone working in the Middle East, there is an almost unknown discount you can get during the peak Haj travel to the Middle East. The airlines are full of moslems coming in from Southeast Asia (not only to Saudi, but those passing through other countries to Saudi). However, those same planes are often only half full returning. It's the opposite when moslems are returning from Haj to places like Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia. The planes are full coming in, but half empty going back

So if you're working in the Middle East, and can schedule your holiday time, try to leave (going to Southeast Asia) when the Hajis are coming in, and return (coming back from Southeast Asia) when the Hajis are returning from the Haj.

Althogh most airlines won't tell you this, you can often get up to 50% discount on travel during that period. After all, the planes must fly half empty anyhow, so any money from you is just extra profit for them. Just be sure that you're ging AGAINST the peak flow direction and period.

I used this before when I worked in Saudi Aeabia. Malaysian Airlines is one that will give you a Haj discount, but you will usually have to talk to someone in the airline office directly. Ticket agents often won't admit there is such a discount.

:D

:o Travel agency will sometimes reserve a block of seats to popular destinations during peak periods...say, as an example, to Rio during Carnival week. They hope to be able to fill those seats with paying passengers. If it gets close to the departure time, and the seats are not full, they turn them back to the airline. The airline then has the seats available for sale.

This is exactly the point: How close to the departure time do the travel agents wait, before they give back the seats to the airline?

• 2 weeks later...
:o Travel agency will sometimes reserve a block of seats to popular destinations during peak periods...say, as an example, to Rio during Carnival week. They hope to be able to fill those seats with paying passengers. If it gets close to the departure time, and the seats are not full, they turn them back to the airline. The airline then has the seats available for sale.

This is exactly the point: How close to the departure time do the travel agents wait, before they give back the seats to the airline?

this depends on each airline and sometimes even on each booking class of the same flight. its usually not in the discretionary of the travel agent. the airline has fixed ticketing deadlines, depending when the reservation has been made, and if its in peak season or not, and after that deadline, the reservations are automatically being cancelled. in general, the cheaper booking class it is, the faster the ticket has to be issued (sometimes a reservation can only be hold for 24 hours).

Thanks for any input,

More details please...carrier, route, class of service, status held with airline. My best guess is that you have purchased a ticket for a certain date but the airline cannot confirm. Could be an over-sell situation and they want to avoid IDBs (Involuntary Denied Boarding).

Without more details it's not possible to answer your question, other than to say, many, many people fail to show for their flight, they sleep late, get sick, have a flat tire, have a family emergency, mis-connect. I'd go to the airport, early-ish and get on the stand-by list. Chances are they will check you in and confirm you.