American Shot Dead In Chiang Mai

Krungthepian

This would make a good novel. One thing does have me wondering: I also knew this Hank character who disappeared about 8 or 10 years back in our neighborhood and if Gary had anything to do with it this is the first I've heard. It was alleged at the time that Hank's adult daughter who had only recently arrived to live with or near him might be involved. But, Gary? Was he even living here yet?

A few of us who knew Gary have told a bit of his story. Now we just need someone to dish the dirt on the Australian shooter. Someone out there must know him?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would make a good novel. One thing does have me wondering: I also knew this Hank character who disappeared about 8 or 10 years back in our neighborhood and if Gary had anything to do with it this is the first I've heard. It was alleged at the time that Hank's adult daughter who had only recently arrived to live with or near him might be involved. But, Gary? Was he even living here yet?

A few of us who knew Gary have told a bit of his story. Now we just need someone to dish the dirt on the Australian shooter. Someone out there must know him?

i too have never heard of a connection between gary and hank's disappearance. nor did gary have anything to do with hank junior's death. he was a troubled vietnam vet that hung himself. the adult daughter had not recently arrived. she was involved with her son and sequoia vargas' death and i know that because i was on the grand jury that presented the true bill (they call it) for the indictment of her son who is hopefully still serving time for a hideous murder of a sixteen year old. note, hawaii isn't always safe either.

Hawaiis pretty safe, just dont go sticking ur nose in other peoples buisness

and everything is G, if u know what i mean Pele knows where hank is...

You know, if this person was your friend, you are not really respecting his life.

You are coming across as a bit of a pr!ck.

Give it a rest :o

Bump

Ohhhh Two Dogs you do have a way with a word. ?????????? You seem to be stuttering on different pages

Maybe you could enlighten us lowly mortals .. Bump ????

As in "Bump" this thread to the top of the forum. Also a cry for unwarranted attention.

Bump

Ohhhh Two Dogs you do have a way with a word. ?????????? You seem to be stuttering on different pages

Maybe you could enlighten us lowly mortals .. Bump ????

Internet term for bringing a webforum thread current. In use now for over 20 years.

:o

I am really confused now.

It took you this long? Still one of the more entertaining threads in quote awhile, at least in the sense of a guilty pleasure. Not really a cliff hanger, but clearly the story remains unresolved.

There might be more to the story. Maybe the guy had the money on him because he was wanting to buy drugs. Maybe it was a drug deal gone bad. Maybe the guy that shot him is just saying he shot him because he did not like him. It would probably not help his case if he said that he shot him over a drug deal.

But who knows. Sounds like the guy that shot him was caught and whatever his reason does not really matter.

RIP Gary,

RIP TwoDogs (looks like he was erased)

Wow, Two Dogs seems to have been erased from the thread! Too much nasty talk? Very interesting about Sequoia Vargas's death being connected to Hank's family. Amazing to have this stuff coming out on a thread about Thailand! Small world, again, wow!

RIP TwoDogs (looks like he was erased)

Indeed, and unfortunately such actions remove the appropriate context for at least half the remaining posts. Further comment is not allowed by Forum rules and must be inferred by the reader.

• 3 months later...

William Thomas Douglas appeared at a preliminary hearing of the Chiang Main Provincial Court yesterday, July 7 charged with Murder while in an emotional state, possession of a firearm, and carrying a firearm in public.

Prison life seems to be agreeing with him as he has put on considerable weight while being incarcerated.

Standby for the "I'm a Vietnam veteran and have PTS"/insanity plea at the upcoming trial ... a total change from the ... "I killed him because I didn't like him" on-camera confession.

post-53962-1215479293_thumb.jpg

we will be there soon enough,im conthai enough,my reletives will get to the bottom of this,she was probly just a bargirl,im sure and the shooter just went off like they do often enough,gary could set folk off fast especially when they are obvious a hole,kill the guy,torture first,we will soon
anyone willing to go down to the Koi Restraunt and ask around for the girl?

Seems to me that this mad dog needs a reality check, he seems to have more in common with the offender than the victim.

I would not be too suprised if the guy hardly knew the guy much less was a close friend.

Attention seekers are everywhere.

However to be on the safe side if the guy is in LOS aready he should be deported without delay, alternatively he should be banned from entering the country for the threats aginst the lady in question.

He says the victim could set folk off fast, and if he is anything like this idiot I find that understandable, at the end of the day a guy lost his life for nothing more than stupidity and for that I am sorry.

The guy didnt deserve to be shot, the guy who shot him deserves a fair trial, this clown seems to think the girl is not entitled to a trial as he considers her guilty already.

Anoher guy heading for a thai jail if he is to be believed, personally I think he more likely to be is a legend in his own lunchtime, or perhaps just "out to lunch".

It is quite likely that this maco bull.... that resulted in the death of this unfortunate guy, guns and idiots dont mix.

Roy gsd

I can confirm that Douglas did serve with the 5th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment in Vietnam in 1969 and with another battalion in 1967.

The name of the restaurant for the earlier poster is Keari Chiang Mai – not Koi as widely reported by AP and Thai journalists.

The name of the girl who took Gary Poretsky to Keari Chiang Mai is Jirewadee (first name) and she refuses to talk to foreign press about the events.

I'll be posting updated stories as they become available on my blog page:

Hardly suprising considering the threats against her

nice of you to help the person making threats against her by naming her though, you must be very proud,or very sick?

:o

roy gsd

Well now that things have died down, I can add my 2 cents. I new gary two dogs (formerly 3 dogs, but one died). I met him on about five occations and did not personaly like him. I have a few friends from the big Island that really liked him as he came to their asistance in time of need and were really upset by his demise. He seemed like a nice enough guy but just rubbed me the wrong way. As far as lower puna (which is where he lived) until recently in travel magazine it was referred to as the wild west. Easy there to wind up missing or dead. The so called aloha spirit has been replace by a lot of anger among the locals (especialy the young ones). Until the last few years one of the favorite local holidays was called "kill a haole day" (another name for farang). So I'm supprised Gary lasted so long there with things the way they are if he were really a big mouth and so short a time in Thailand. Gary was not linked to the Hawaiian Mafia for sure. Although he was known to peddle small qty of weed now and again. He was pretty savy when it came to the drug world and doubt the he was shot for this reason. The $6000 cash was I assure you not to buy drugs, oh maybe a small qty of weed but not enought to fight over. Because of he buisness dealing in hawaii, in cash, I have found that many people of his type often carry or have this type of money when traveling especially if getting dental work done. I doubt he had a bank account. Sorry that he is gone as he did not deserve to die in this way. Aloha gary 2 dogs.

Another link regarding mixed feelings towards the deceased.

According to this link the vicitim is referred to by alleged friends and others who apparently knew him as a drug dealer and onother poster alleged the vicitim is supposed to have been involved in the disappearance of some guy and his son in the states and yet another friend refers to him having mental health problems.

Unfortunately it would appear that the having already seen the gun decided hang around and perhaps front the guy out, normally people display a gun for the effect and I would not be suprised if the victim did not take this old guy seriousy and paid the ultimate price for his poor judgement.

As there was also a female present then I am afraid this may have contributed to the conflict, perhap the younger guy was seeking to impress the lady by disrespecting the old man with the gun, if so the result was almost inevitable.

It takes a man to walk away from such situations and a fool to stay.

Roy Gsd

As a member of the small community in Hawaii where Gary Two Dogs lived, I felt the need to make a comment. Gary was not a highly esteemed part of our community. He was well known for being a loud mouth and a low level trouble maker. He was also a friendly happy go lucky and gregarious person. Perhaps it would not be out of line to call him mentally ill, although he was functional enough to manage to live over 10 years here without getting himself shot.

At this point discussions here include bemusement over his ability to get himself in trouble, and its finale. There have also been discussions about which group of squatters and low level criminals (that were his friends) is going to end up taking over his house. My hope is that his family, none in Hawaii that I know of, will quickly deal with that situation, but it may already be too late.

i wrote this post earlier and i have amended it so hopefully it will not get erased this time. i was answering the two dog poster that claims everyone knew and loved gary in hawaii. gary two dogs was NOT loved by everyone in hawaii. check at the pahoa police substation. his exgirlfriend had to get a restraining order. his jaw had been busted by an irate neighbor. once he was duck taped at a community meeting where he prided himself in being a disruptive presence, etc.... maybe this thai women did set him up. if the perp was offended by arrogant americans, gary two dogs was as arrogant as they come. he talked peace and love but he did NOT walk his talk. no one no matter how much a blight they are to their neighborhoods and he was a blight to our neighborhood (FACT: the lowest land price in the subdivision is next to his house) deserves to be gunned down. rest in peace, gary. you will be missed but not in the way yr friend is presenting you.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

and two dogs sent me this message: ASS HOLE HAOLE fuka i know who u are

dont think i dont

By doing so he has also shown what he is, and that in my opinion aint much at all.

Roy gsd

From Perth Now

March 22, 2008 05:00pm

A WA man is facing a murder charge in Thailand after allegedly shooting dead an American citizen in a restaurant yesterday.

Police in Thailand's northern capital Chiang Mai last night confirmed William Thomas Douglas, 61, formerly of Northam, surrendered himself soon after the shooting.

Does anyone know where Northam is located?

I can confirm that Douglas did serve with the 5th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment in Vietnam in 1969 and with another battalion in 1967.

The name of the restaurant for the earlier poster is Keari Chiang Mai – not Koi as widely reported by AP and Thai journalists.

The name of the girl who took Gary Poretsky to Keari Chiang Mai is Jirewadee (first name) and she refuses to talk to foreign press about the events.

photojourn when you post updated stories please be sure the information you provide & or confirm is correct:

1 Australian Reinforcement Unit 11/03/1967 28/03/1967 & Headquarters, 1st Australian Task Force 29/03/1967 12/03/1968

1 ARU was not a battalion it was used as a "Ready Reaction Force" & for providing replacements for battalions - 1st Australian Task Force was where 1 ARU were located so from the above it appears "Douglas" spent his first tour (67) there, not with a battalion.

Now his 2nd tour was certainly with the 5th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment 08/02/1969 07/05/1969

Just for the record.

photojourn when you post updated stories please be sure the information you provide & or confirm is correct:

1 Australian Reinforcement Unit 11/03/1967 28/03/1967 & Headquarters, 1st Australian Task Force 29/03/1967 12/03/1968

1 ARU was not a battalion it was used as a "Ready Reaction Force" & for providing replacements for battalions - 1st Australian Task Force was where 1 ARU were located so from the above it appears "Douglas" spent his first tour (67) there, not with a battalion.

Now his 2nd tour was certainly with the 5th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment 08/02/1969 07/05/1969

Just for the record.

Thanks for that information. Confirming details of Douglas' military service were difficult to obtain at the time. The man talks a lot in riddles and makes lots of claims without providing sufficient details to allow anything to be substantiated. Checking the Australian War Records office is also not easy from Thailand :o

The matter will proceed to trial in August following a request by the chief prosecutor to have the case expedited.

post-53962-1215573320_thumb.jpg

Edited by photojourn

• 1 month later...

UPDATE...and the trial begins...

Murder Trial Begins for Man in Thailand

A man who shot and killed a Hawaii tourist in Thailand is on trial tomorrow.

In March, William Douglas confessed to shooting Gary Poretsky 3 times at a restaurant in Chiang Mai.

Investigators say the two men had just met and got into an argument. Poretsky, who is from Puna, [Hawaii] was in Thailand to get discounted dental work.

- KGMB9 News (USA) / August 17, 2008

News Video Link:

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/9086/40/