American Shot Dead In Chiang Mai

Krungthepian

At the time of his death Mr Poretsky was found to be carrying US$6,000 in US$100 notes and there is some speculation by friends of the dead man in Hawaii that given the obscure location of the restaurant that this could have been a robbery gone bad.

If this report is to be believed who in their right mind would be on an all night drinking session carrying US$6,000 in cash on them?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fully qualified firearms instructor and S&W accredited gunsmith of some 40 years, I feel I have some insight into these things.

I might also add that I have never heard anybody refer to a Colt .45 as an 11mm except by some uneducated people in Thailand. I suppose now you are going to tell me that the M1896 is a 96mm just because of it's model number. :o

Outside of the states, I've heard many times the .45 ACP round being referred to as 11.25mm, especially in Latin America. Apparently, both the Argentinians and Norwegians have produced their versions of the M1911 with 11.25mm stamped on the slides, as well. I've seen some of these versions for sale at gun shows in the states, and while the sellers might have been uneducated, they weren't in Thailand. :D

http://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

Most police and army folks refer to the .45 as 11 mm here. I suppose that may fall into "uneducated" but it is indeed a norm. IMO it's simply vernacular "tribute" to the 9 mm, the most common round and firearm available here. You get used to saying it when you get XX murders in a day committed with 9 mm and then some schmoe(s) gets it with a .45... 11 mm is easier to say.

:D

When asked in the court holding cells why he had shot the tourist, Douglas said, "because I didn't like him - he was crazy."

post-4641-1206498248.gif

Too bad I don't have a smilie for head shaking in total disbelief.

The confessor...

thailand_american_killed_bk102.jpg

Australian William Douglas talks to a Thai police investigator, not seen, on how he shot an American Gary Poretsky at a police station in Chiang Mai province, northern Thailand Saturday, March 22, 2008. Douglas, 65, confessed to the fatal shooting of Poretsky during a quarrel at a restaurant in this northern Thailand city, police said.

Associated Press

Sorry, but it's beyond me that a 65 year old walks around with a loaded gun...08.00 AM in the morning... :o:D

Weird, very weird, odd, crazy, nuts.....any more words to describe ?

LaoPo

To give a coward self confidence? Edited by mikethevigoman

Most police and army folks refer to the .45 as 11 mm here. I suppose that may fall into "uneducated" but it is indeed a norm. IMO it's simply vernacular "tribute" to the 9 mm, the most common round and firearm available here. You get used to saying it when you get XX murders in a day committed with 9 mm and then some schmoe(s) gets it with a .45... 11 mm is easier to say.

:o

"Some schmoe"?

Have you no respect for the dead at all?

*yawn* I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. I was talking about the mindset of those who encounter multiple murders in a day and then don't care to refer to the exact calibre of a firearm when faced with "one more dead body."

:D

By: John Le Fevre

Perth man remanded over fatal Thai shooting

Monday 24 March, 2008 - 20:45 by John Le Fevre in News

views (6) | rating ooooo (0 votes)

A 60-year-old Australian man has been remanded in custody and formerly declared a suspect in the fatal weekend shooting of a 46-year-old American tourist in the northern Thailand city of Chiang Mai.

William Thomas Douglas, a former resident of Willetton in Western Australia, surrendered to Thai police on Saturday one and a half hours after he is alleged to have shot and killed Hawaiian resident Gary Booth Poretsky in a Chiang Mai restaurant following an altercation.

In a video conference hearing at Chiang Mai Local Court, Chiang Mai police captain Somsak Pamthong requested Douglas be held without bail to allow police to conduct forensic investigations into the shooting.

Captain Somsak said that even though Douglas had admitted shooting the American and had surrendered himself with the weapon to Chiang Mai district police, Thai law required bullets and casings found at the scene to be matched to the weapon surrendered by Douglas.

"We do not expect this case to take a long time. Mr Douglas has already admitted he shot the American tourist, but he said he did not plan to kill him," Captain Somsak said.

According to Captain Somsak, Douglas said he shot the tourist "because he doesn't like Americans. He thinks they talk down to everyone and consider themselves better than everyone else."

Douglas, who claims to be a Vietnam War veteran and former member of the 5th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment, was not represented at the brief hearing.

After the hearing Douglas said he had "no regrets" over killing the American, who was visiting Thailand on a two week trip to receive dental treatment in Bangkok where high quality dentistry is considerably less expensive than in the US or Europe.

At the time of his death Mr Poretsky was found to be carrying US$6,000 in US$100 notes and there is some speculation by friends of the dead man in Hawaii that given the obscure location of the restaurant that this could have been a robbery gone bad.

Restaurant staff where the shooting occurred said Mr Poretsky had arrived at the restaurant in the company of "a dark skinned Thai woman identified in local media as having the first name Jirewadee.

They were drinking and the girl invited the man who did the shooting to join them.According to restaurant staff Douglas had shown Poretsky he was carrying a gun earlier in the evening and Poretsky had berated the Australian for carrying a weapon.

An argument then ensued but this was earlier than when Poretsky was shot.

When asked in the court holding cells why he had shot the tourist, Douglas said, "because I didn't like him - he was crazy."

Police have said they intend to charge Douglas with premeditated murder, a charge which carries a maximum penalty of death by lethal injection in Thailand. He also faces a number of firearms offences.

Douglas said he plans to plead guilty to the charge of murder when he is formerly charged in the hopes of receiving a lighter sentence.

ENDS:

This is what would decide his sentance if i were the judge "After the hearing Douglas said he had "no regrets" over killing the American"

hmmm I did a quick google and it returned almost nothing on the guy's name .. so apparently the Hawaii'an press isn't paying any attention now, nor is anyone on the net other than ThaiVisa

Perth man remanded over fatal Thai shooting

In a video conference hearing at Chiang Mai Local Court, Chiang Mai police captain Somsak Pamthong requested Douglas be held without bail to allow police to conduct forensic investigations into the shooting.

Captain Somsak said that even though Douglas had admitted shooting the American and had surrendered himself with the weapon to Chiang Mai district police, Thai law required bullets and casings found at the scene to be matched to the weapon surrendered by Douglas.

A couple of comments:

1. "Perth man" - and the guy has lived in Thailand for 28 years?

2. Compare the non-bailing of Douglas (which I believe is totally appropriate) with the bailing of the murdering copper in Pai. One can only shake one's head :o

If this report is to be believed who in their right mind would be on an all night drinking session carrying US$6,000 in cash on them?

He was led to believe (after all it's in all the brochures) that Thailand is a safe destination BB :o

Kuhn 2 Dogs you seem very upset, as would be most people who have lost a good friend. Very, Very upset . He must have been closer than your closest friend.

Let the police do their work. You say he wouldn't have been drinking and he would't have been there with this woman.

Try not be too upset with the lady, or at least woman tour guide, even if it is hard for you to believe he was out all night with her. Whichever way you look at this from whichever side, remember. He1l hath no fury like a woman scorned. Well I'm sure you know what I mean.

Hope your friend rests in piece.

and Blinky, good to see you back ,,,,,,,, again.

gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

As a member of the small community in Hawaii where Gary Two Dogs lived, I felt the need to make a comment. Gary was not a highly esteemed part of our community. He was well known for being a loud mouth and a low level trouble maker. He was also a friendly happy go lucky and gregarious person. Perhaps it would not be out of line to call him mentally ill, although he was functional enough to manage to live over 10 years here without getting himself shot.

At this point discussions here include bemusement over his ability to get himself in trouble, and its finale. There have also been discussions about which group of squatters and low level criminals (that were his friends) is going to end up taking over his house. My hope is that his family, none in Hawaii that I know of, will quickly deal with that situation, but it may already be too late.

As a member of the small community in Hawaii where Gary Two Dogs lived, I felt the need to make a comment. Gary was not a highly esteemed part of our community. He was well known for being a loud mouth and a low level trouble maker. He was also a friendly happy go lucky and gregarious person. Perhaps it would not be out of line to call him mentally ill, although he was functional enough to manage to live over 10 years here without getting himself shot.

At this point discussions here include bemusement over his ability to get himself in trouble, and its finale. There have also been discussions about which group of squatters and low level criminals (that were his friends) is going to end up taking over his house. My hope is that his family, none in Hawaii that I know of, will quickly deal with that situation, but it may already be too late.

i wrote this post earlier and i have amended it so hopefully it will not get erased this time. i was answering the two dog poster that claims everyone knew and loved gary in hawaii. gary two dogs was NOT loved by everyone in hawaii. check at the pahoa police substation. his exgirlfriend had to get a restraining order. his jaw had been busted by an irate neighbor. once he was duck taped at a community meeting where he prided himself in being a disruptive presence, etc.... maybe this thai women did set him up. if the perp was offended by arrogant americans, gary two dogs was as arrogant as they come. he talked peace and love but he did NOT walk his talk. no one no matter how much a blight they are to their neighborhoods and he was a blight to our neighborhood (FACT: the lowest land price in the subdivision is next to his house) deserves to be gunned down. rest in peace, gary. you will be missed but not in the way yr friend is presenting you.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

i wrote this post earlier and i have amended it so hopefully it will not get erased this time. i was answering the two dog poster that claims everyone knew and loved gary in hawaii. gary two dogs was NOT loved by everyone in hawaii. check at the pahoa police substation. his exgirlfriend had to get a restraining order. his jaw had been busted by an irate neighbor. once he was duck taped at a community meeting where he prided himself in being a disruptive presence, etc.... maybe this thai women did set him up. if the perp was offended by arrogant americans, gary two dogs was as arrogant as they come. he talked peace and love but he did NOT walk his talk. no one no matter how much a blight they are to their neighborhoods and he was a blight to our neighborhood (FACT: the lowest land price in the subdivision is next to his house) deserves to be gunned down. rest in peace, gary. you will be missed but not in the way yr friend is presenting you.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

and two dogs sent me this message: ASS HOLE HAOLE fuka i know who u are

dont think i dont

Very bizarre

Victim is carrying wads of cash in a part of Thailand previously well known for drugs

Victim allegedly shot by a guy with unconfirmed reports describing him as a former or active narcotics policeman

So called friend joins forum claiming victim is a very popular well known person

Others join forum with counter claims suggesting victim has dubious past.

So called friend then makes threats to those posters.

Hmm something sounds fishy here.

In case you folks out there in the international community were wondering, the people living in Gary Poretsky's community of lower Puna are generally sweet tempered and a bit more educated than might be construed from certain posts in this thread. Gary had an unfortunate demise, enough said. Aloha.

This has to be one of the most morbidly amusing threads I have ever read in TV.

From the link that was posted a comment;

Gary Two-dogs Today, 6:07 AM

Gary "two Dogs" was a person of interest in the dis-appearance of Hank Roberts..... and the death of his son. He was no saint ;( But he sold good weed.

ummmmmmm, maybe Dog the Bounty Hunter can clear this up. Dog knew everyone........

This is by far the most interesting forum I've seen in years. It has everything: Sex, drugs, alcohol, a dead American and an alleged American hater. Couple that with personal threats and the international connection and you've got a book to self-publish.

Please don't close this thread!!!

Any more on the real background of the shooter?

well, this should be enough to close this thread until something develops

With respect to the deceased and the mentally unbalanced... isn't it a strange thought that these two gentlemen lived their lives, travelling towards this karmic appointment together. Thailand sure has a way of dotting i's and crossing t's doesn't it?

But then, who amongst us is normal? And who are we to judge?

Indeed that this story know , from reading it , seems to have more

to its written story then first thought .

I allready thought it was not ' normal ' to carry several thousand of dollars cash

on the man while holidaying .

Will be interesting to read some of the real history of the agressor , which until now

is not very clear .

Anyway its a very sad story all together , especially happening in Chiangmai ,

they are just an unfortunate story of events .

ummmmmmm, maybe Dog the Bounty Hunter can clear this up. Dog knew everyone........

Spot on!! No doubt that this story can be the basis for the first full length feature film for the Dawg, hopefully to be written and directed by those masters of ambivalence, the Coen brothers, with the working title of No Country for Ex-pats.

He was led to believe (after all it's in all the brochures) that Thailand is a safe destination BB :o

yes and new york is safe and london and paris and ........ according to tourist mags and tour

oprtators - why always pick on thailand - really get out really if you think its so bad