Asus Eee Pc Using A Usb Edge/gprs Modem

ZZZ

Some threads have touched on the subject but I have not found any good instructions.

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to linux but have anyone connected a usb EDGE/GPRS modem to their ASUS eee PC?

If so how did you do it?

Unfortunately exactly this was the one and only reason I installed Windows :o

What modem do you have? There seems to be reasonable support for the Sierra Wireless devices, but I have a Solomon USB Edge modem, and there is zilch support for Linux.

To get an unsupported device to work under linux you'll have to master I think ndiswrapper, so you can use your windows driver in Linux. Not easy though...

I think it is easier to use a mobile phone, at least it is in Ubuntu, which has reasonably good support to connect through GPRS using many different mobile phones...

Linux I do not know.

I have XP installed on my Asus EeePC.

Bought a Bluetooth dongle [300B] and installed BT SW on the PC.

My Samsung mobile has Bluetooth and Edge/GPRS and I bought minutes with a card at a 7/11.

On the PC select the Dial Up Networking Service.

On the PC open the Internet browser [iE or Firefox, etc.] and on the mobile [forgot, sorry]

It wa pretty automatic and works well.

Like having WiFi wherever you are.

Very nice.

You did not say which linux.  If your linux has a repository and a package maniger the drivers (if your modem is supported) will be in the repos.  Just click and it downloads and install.  Go to the forum of the linux distro you are using and give them info about the modem and use the search bar in the linux forum to see if its been done before.  

You should not have to hunt for linux things site by site your distro should be 

testing them and all you have to do select and apply.

I have a soloman 275i GPRS/WAN, but have not used it in awhile and never tried it in linux before, but thats not to say there isn't a work around out there.  Most the Eee that use Linux came out in Ubuntu I think, its a good distro and the forum will help.  I use PClinuxOS, but I use the Ubuntu forum for script stuff its more active in that area, and its Linux too.

Using a s60 series Nokia phone it's braindead easy to get Linux to recognise it as a modem. If that's a solution for you, I can walk you through it.

I'm by no means a techie and I become painfully aware of that each time I work with Ubuntu Linux. My E51 Nokia is a 60 series. I was quite pleased when I plugged in the data cable and Linux recognized the phone as an E51. I also tried with the Bluetooth dongle and it recognizes that too. Since the computer knows what phone it is, I thought it would be pretty easy, but no luck hooking up to the Internet.

Using a s60 series Nokia phone it's braindead easy to get Linux to recognise it as a modem. If that's a solution for you, I can walk you through it.

I'm by no means a techie and I become painfully aware of that each time I work with Ubuntu Linux. My E51 Nokia is a 60 series. I was quite pleased when I plugged in the data cable and Linux recognized the phone as an E51. I also tried with the Bluetooth dongle and it recognizes that too. Since the computer knows what phone it is, I thought it would be pretty easy, but no luck hooking up to the Internet.

Ok, that's too easy. I'm assuming you're using Gnome as your GDM, so I'll have tailor what I had to do (I run KDE). There's two ways of handling it...the techie way (my favourite) or the GUI way (most Ubuntu users :o)

Techie way

1. Figure out what your phone is being mounted as by issuing the command

lsusb -vvv

2. Configure your provider in /etc/ppp/peers/provider

You should just be able to copy and paste this, but in # Serial device.. line put in the proper dev. For instance, SuSE uses ttyACM0, but IIRC, Ubuntu still uses ttyUSB0. Your lsusb will tell you.

user "user"

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/pap -T *99#"

# Serial device to which the modem is connected.
/dev/ttyUSB0

# Speed of the serial line.

# Assumes that your IP address is allocated dynamically by the ISP.
noipdefault
# Try to get the name server addresses from the ISP.
#usepeerdns
# Use this connection as the default route.
defaultroute

# Makes pppd "dial again" when the connection is lost.
persist

# Do not ask the remote to authenticate.
noauth

# pppd will detach from controlling terminal when connection is up
updetach

# no compression - ppp is used only until the modem
novj
novjccomp
nopcomp
nodeflate

# put in a default gateway even if one was present before
replacedefaultroute

# if connection has failed, redial in this number of seconds
# don't use too low - 3 seems to drive modem crazy
holdoff 5

3. Configure your dialing scripts in /etc/chatscripts/pap

ABORT		   BUSY
ABORT		   VOICE
ABORT		   "NO CARRIER"
ABORT		   "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT		   "NO DIAL TONE"
""			  ATH
OK ATE1
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP",""
OK ATDT*99#
CONNECT		 ""

4. In a terminal type

pon

5. To disconnect type

poff

Now for the unwashed masses version (GUI):

1. Go to Applications->GNOME PPP (you may have to add this program sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp)

2. Click the "Setup" button.

3. On the "Modem" tab, you can try and click on the "Autodetect" button. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to do the lsusb -vvv from the techie part of this guide and insert the proper value.

4. I can't guarantee that you can leave the "Type" to "Analog Modem", please adjust this as needed.

5. Click on the "Init Strings". On the next page to pop up, put these in:

Init1 = ATH

Init2 = ATE1

Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet","",0,0

6. Ok out and than click "Close"

7. Username and Password are not important, you can put anything in that meets your fancy since AIS gets their information from your sim card.

8. Phone number should be *99#

9. Click on "Connect"

Obviously, I'm here to help, so if you run into any problems, either shoot me a PM or complain in this thread.

Dave, thanks a lot for trying to help. I spend a couple of hours trying to get this thing to work and made no progress. Codes and command lines are beyond me. When/if Nokia decides to develop software for Linux, then I'll consider using it. (Again). I get frustrated when something doesn't work.

Dave, thanks a lot for trying to help. I spend a couple of hours trying to get this thing to work and made no progress. Codes and command lines are beyond me. When/if Nokia decides to develop software for Linux, then I'll consider using it. (Again). I get frustrated when something doesn't work.

I'm sorry I inundated you with so many commands. I have mine set up with a custom script that automatically connects to the internet the moment my SuSE box recognises the modem and keeps the connection alive. Plus it's more fun to have to think (or Google!) answers than stay in the GUI.

It's not really that hard if you stick with gnome-ppp. Simply open up Applications->(Internet?-not sure if you'll have it under this or not)->GNOME PPP. Click on the "Setup" button. I checked, and your device SHOULD be /dev/ttyACM0. Then click on the Init strings button. Double click to fill in values of ATH next to Init 1, ATE1 next to Init 2, and AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet","",0,0 next to Init 3. Click "Close" and than your back on your settings page. Click on "Phone numbers" and input *99# . Click on "Close". You'll be back on the main page. Fill in any old username and password, since your provider will actually get those from the sim card. Click on "Connect".

If that doesn't work, for whatever reason, sometimes you have to leave off those last two 0's on the Init 3 string (AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet","").

• 4 months later...

I am soooooo sad! I bought my daughter an Asus Eee PC 4G Surf in June - Linux version. I was able to effortlessly, through the connections manager, set up a connection via USB for her Nokia 6300, using DTAC (Happy). I followed the exact same steps as I had on my Mac - it worked perfectly.

Two weeks ago, the touchpad button on her Eee stopped working and I had to take it to the service center in Fortune. They kept it a day and I picked it up the following day. They informed me that the main board had a problem and was replaced - now the touchpad and buttons were fine. They informed me that the memory had been wiped as a result, since the main bord with mem module had been replaced. No biggie - just rebuild her network connections....

Since I got the Eee back, I cannot, for the life of me get it to connect with the phone. I create a new connection, select dial-up, and it detects the Nokia 6300. I select the one that has it as /dev/ACM0, and go on to type *99# for the dial number, then went to initiation string and typed AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","www.dtac.co.th"

It initializes the phone, dials the *99# code, and then immediately, the connection fails, saying there is a problem in the initiation string.

What is happening? Any ideas? This had worked just fine until the trackpad issue - VERY FRUSTRATED1 Any ideas would really be helpful!

Just a shot in the dark.  Sounds like a typo in the string. can you find a ref to it at a tdac site and copy paste the correct text? Could be it needs , replaced with % or & or maybe a space missing something like that.

I am soooooo sad! I bought my daughter an Asus Eee PC 4G Surf in June - Linux version. I was able to effortlessly, through the connections manager, set up a connection via USB for her Nokia 6300, using DTAC (Happy). I followed the exact same steps as I had on my Mac - it worked perfectly.

Two weeks ago, the touchpad button on her Eee stopped working and I had to take it to the service center in Fortune. They kept it a day and I picked it up the following day. They informed me that the main board had a problem and was replaced - now the touchpad and buttons were fine. They informed me that the memory had been wiped as a result, since the main bord with mem module had been replaced. No biggie - just rebuild her network connections....

Since I got the Eee back, I cannot, for the life of me get it to connect with the phone. I create a new connection, select dial-up, and it detects the Nokia 6300. I select the one that has it as /dev/ACM0, and go on to type *99# for the dial number, then went to initiation string and typed AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","www.dtac.co.th"

It initializes the phone, dials the *99# code, and then immediately, the connection fails, saying there is a problem in the initiation string.

What is happening? Any ideas? This had worked just fine until the trackpad issue - VERY FRUSTRATED1 Any ideas would really be helpful!

You need to initialise the phone first. Should use the initiation string "ATH" first, wait for the phone to respond, then dial.

• 1 year later...

Ok, that's too easy. I'm assuming you're using Gnome as your GDM, so I'll have tailor what I had to do (I run KDE). There's two ways of handling it...the techie way (my favourite) or the GUI way (most Ubuntu users :))

Techie way

1. Figure out what your phone is being mounted as by issuing the command

lsusb -vvv

2. Configure your provider in /etc/ppp/peers/provider

You should just be able to copy and paste this, but in # Serial device.. line put in the proper dev. For instance, SuSE uses ttyACM0, but IIRC, Ubuntu still uses ttyUSB0. Your lsusb will tell you.

user "user"

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/pap -T *99#"

# Serial device to which the modem is connected.
/dev/ttyUSB0

# Speed of the serial line.

# Assumes that your IP address is allocated dynamically by the ISP.
noipdefault
# Try to get the name server addresses from the ISP.
#usepeerdns
# Use this connection as the default route.
defaultroute

# Makes pppd "dial again" when the connection is lost.
persist

# Do not ask the remote to authenticate.
noauth

# pppd will detach from controlling terminal when connection is up
updetach

# no compression - ppp is used only until the modem
novj
novjccomp
nopcomp
nodeflate

# put in a default gateway even if one was present before
replacedefaultroute

# if connection has failed, redial in this number of seconds
# don't use too low - 3 seems to drive modem crazy
holdoff 5

3. Configure your dialing scripts in /etc/chatscripts/pap

ABORT		   BUSY
ABORT		   VOICE
ABORT		   "NO CARRIER"
ABORT		   "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT		   "NO DIAL TONE"
""			  ATH
OK ATE1
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP",""
OK ATDT*99#
CONNECT		 ""

4. In a terminal type

pon

5. To disconnect type

poff

Now for the unwashed masses version (GUI):

1. Go to Applications->GNOME PPP (you may have to add this program sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp)

2. Click the "Setup" button.

3. On the "Modem" tab, you can try and click on the "Autodetect" button. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to do the lsusb -vvv from the techie part of this guide and insert the proper value.

4. I can't guarantee that you can leave the "Type" to "Analog Modem", please adjust this as needed.

5. Click on the "Init Strings". On the next page to pop up, put these in:

Init1 = ATH

Init2 = ATE1

Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet","",0,0

6. Ok out and than click "Close"

7. Username and Password are not important, you can put anything in that meets your fancy since AIS gets their information from your sim card.

8. Phone number should be *99#

9. Click on "Connect"

Obviously, I'm here to help, so if you run into any problems, either shoot me a PM or complain in this thread.

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 and it says gnome ppp is not in the data. I ran sudo pppoeconf and that does not detect my nokia 6303. I opened a terminal and typed in 1susb and it showed Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0421:01b1 Nokia Mobile Phones.

I type in a terminal lsusb -vvv and get the following

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0421:01b1 Nokia Mobile Phones

Device Descriptor:

bLength 18

bDescriptorType 1

bcdUSB 2.00

bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)

bDeviceSubClass 0

bDeviceProtocol 0

bMaxPacketSize0 64

idVendor 0x0421 Nokia Mobile Phones

idProduct 0x01b1

bcdDevice 10.10

iManufacturer 1

iProduct 2

iSerial 3

bNumConfigurations 1

Configuration Descriptor:

bLength 9

bDescriptorType 2

wTotalLength 32

bNumInterfaces 1

bConfigurationValue 1

iConfiguration 0

bmAttributes 0xc0

Self Powered

MaxPower 8mA

Interface Descriptor:

bLength 9

bDescriptorType 4

bInterfaceNumber 0

bAlternateSetting 0

bNumEndpoints 2

bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage

bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI

bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)

iInterface 0

Endpoint Descriptor:

bLength 7

bDescriptorType 5

bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN

bmAttributes 2

Transfer Type Bulk

Synch Type None

Usage Type Data

wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes

bInterval 0

Endpoint Descriptor:

bLength 7

bDescriptorType 5

bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT

bmAttributes 2

Transfer Type Bulk

Synch Type None

Usage Type Data

wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes

bInterval 0

can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted

can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted

cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

I don’t know what to do next. I also don’t know how to get the name server addresses from my ISP which is AISmobilelife Thailand. Do I just call them? I know what my IP address is. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,

Kerry