Family's Heartbreak Plea After Son Dies In Paradise Motorbike Horror

Mar 23 2008 The Judge

JACK and Margaret Paterson were devastated when their son died in a motorbike crash in Thailand last week.

Stephen, 35, had been touring Asia on a six-month backpacking holiday.

The first the Patersons knew of the tragedy was when police officers arrived at their door on Monday.

Now travel insurance firm First Assist are adding to their grief by refusing to bring his body back home. Today he lies in a mortuary 6200 miles from his grieving family.

First Assist claim his policy is invalid because he was driving a 125cc motorbike - and he was insured only for 50cc bikes.

Jack, 57, of Bilston, Midlothian, called me in despair. He said: "Stephen's death has devastated us. We are in pieces. We cannot afford the £3100 repatriation costs to bring our son home.

"Humanity has gone out the window. This firm is refusing to help and so far they haven't even sent us a copy of the travel policy.

"We don't know if Stephen was covered or not as he took the policy with him."

In a heart-rending plea Jack added: "All we want is to bring our son home and put him to rest. Is it too much to ask?"

Stephen, a joiner, had taken out a £126 policy with First Assist in November. He flew to the US, Cambodia and finally the paradise island of Koh Phangan in Thailand, where the accident happened.

Jack said: "Stephen was happy-go-lucky, a youngster at heart. He'd been to India, New Zealand, Australia and the Far East."

When Jack and Margaret, 58, who both work at Sainsbury's, were told of his death, they contacted the Foreign Office.

Jack said: "We don't know exactly what happened but he wasn't wearing a helmet."

They got in touch with First Assist after finding the policy details in a notepad.

Jack, also dad to Lyndsay, 31, and Alan, 25, said: "The travel policy was supposed to cover him for every eventuality. He didn't know he needed to pay extra to ride a motorbike bigger than 50cc."

First Assist referred the claim to underwriters who refused to meet the costs.

That's when Jack called me in. He said: "I want to warn others. They were trying to find a way not to pay.

"We are not asking for millions, just enough to get him home. In Thailand, they may cremate him. We need to lay him to rest and grieve properly."

I got on to First Assist at their Plymouth HQ but they refused to pay out. They even refused to offer a goodwill gesture to the family.

Head of claims Ian Jones said: "We offer sincere condolences but the cover is specific in stating the maximum cc motorbike permissible."

Thanks for nothing, pal.

But I was determined not to let the Patersons down and contacted Sainsbury's to see if they would help financially.

And it looks as if the supermarket giant will come up with the goods for the couple.

Aspokesman told me: "We will do everything we can to support the family at this difficult time."

Let's hope next week I will be able to tell you Stephen is home where he belongs.

Additional reporting by JANE BARRIE

Source: Sunday Mail UK

I think this may be the guy who hit the metal post after he lost control going around the corner while speeding through Ban Tai Village last week, unless someone else has heard of another recent death by motorbike accident on Koh Phangan?

its a real shame.

these insurance companies are quick to take your money and you think your covered but you have to read every little bit of small print as basically i noticed they dont cover you for the things you really need and dont pay out very often hence they make millions every year with false promises.

if you have taken travel insurance before then you will see they sell you it but dont explain the details,they just say you need insurance and get you scared then dont pay out when you actually do need it.i dont even bother now for this reason ..i used to but when i had problems then they never helped so now i save the money :o

i'm no fan of insurance companies but they did inform the customer of the limits of the policy i assume, so why is everyone expecting them to cover more than what they agreed to in the contract? they are a business after all, not a charity.

Always read the small print on insurance...

But i will give alot of the hospital's credit on samui, if you have been admitted after a motorbike crash after drinking, they will alter the insurance forms to say you havent ect ect ect, as they know the insurance will not pay....

But as always, motorbike's in Thailand are a ticking death trap.... be careful!

I think this may be the guy who hit the metal post after he lost control going around the corner while speeding through Ban Tai Village last week, unless someone else has heard of another recent death by motorbike accident on Koh Phangan?

Let's hope his Family doesn't read your post SBK, i think you could have had a bit more compassion with your wording if i'm honest..

Yes his name was Stephen, from Scotland, and he was drunk after the Half Moon party, from what I have heard. He had been staying for awhile on Thong Nai Pan Yai.

Edited by girlx

Yes his name was Stephen, from Scotland, and he was drunk after the Half Moon party, from what I have heard. He had been staying for awhile on Thong Nai Pan Yai.

Lets hope the Insurance company doesn't read this post! he lost control going around the corner while speeding through Ban Tai and he was drunk after the Half Moon party.

This is yet another sad case, but should be highlighted as a deterrant to others who decide to drink and drive.......

This post is one sad story amongst hundreds that occur daily. I'm not sure why it was posted here however its a good warning to drink drivers especially no helmet. From what is written its clear that the policy didn't cover 125cc bikes and if that proves to be the case then the insurance company is in the clear

Actually, that was the point, it happens all the time, all over Thailand and presumably, all over SE Asia. I heard about this man's death last week, and thought, what a sad waste, his poor family. And now, I see, that it's even worse, the insurance won't repatriate the body, so for them, the pain and heartache continue.

I make sure to ask people who ask about renting motorbikes, if they have ever driven before. Warn them about no insurance, and to drive very carefully because you can never know what will happen.

The truth is, people come, think it looks fun and easy, and take very risky chances they never would back home. And perhaps my question was insensitive but how insensitive would it have been if he'd killed some little kid as well as himself in his speedy drive through the village?

Let's hope his Family doesn't read your post SBK, i think you could have had a bit more compassion with your wording if i'm honest..

Curious, MSingh, how would you phrase the question then?

I probably wouldn't have added the " hit the metal post " part just in case, like you said in another thread, his Family could read this & i'm sure they would be pretty upset seeing that.

Especially as it may not be correct as, as you also said, there may have been another accident recently.

Just my own personal opinion of course.

You misread my post, I said unless someone had heard of another accident. Which would imply that was the only one I had heard about. And what is insensitive about saying he hit the metal post?

Since you most likely did not see the posts that were deleted in the other thread, then you are probably unaware of what was said, and how hurtful it would have been to the family. I don't think saying he hit a metal post is insensitive and think you are either splitting hairs here or have some notion of using this thread to score points?

perhaps she should have said "as he was riding his bike smiling angels fluttered down on clouds of cotton wool and took him to heaven."

the poor fellow crashed his bike for goodness sake , there is no escaping the realities of death.

You misread my post, I said unless someone had heard of another accident. Which would imply that was the only one I had heard about. And what is insensitive about saying he hit the metal post?

Since you most likely did not see the posts that were deleted in the other thread, then you are probably unaware of what was said, and how hurtful it would have been to the family. I don't think saying he hit a metal post is insensitive and think you are either splitting hairs here or have some notion of using this thread to score points?

I didn't misread your post at all & have no interest in splitting hairs or " scoring points ". I fully understand you moderate this Forum, thank you for doing so but believe, in my opinion, that you could have been a bit more compassionate with what you wrote.

Key phrase in that sentence is " in my opinion ".

Curious, MSingh, how would you phrase the question then?

I probably wouldn't have added the " hit the metal post " part just in case, like you said in another thread, his Family could read this & i'm sure they would be pretty upset seeing that.

Especially as it may not be correct as, as you also said, there may have been another accident recently.

Just my own personal opinion of course.

Your splitting hairs. That's exactly how the news would have reported it if that's how it happened. Bike rider dies after hitting car, truck ,post its all the same and not meant to be demeaning in any way what so ever

Your splitting hairs. That's exactly how the news would have reported it if that's how it happened. Bike rider dies after hitting car, truck ,post its all the same and not meant to be demeaning in any way what so ever

For the second time, i'm not splitting hairs & am not trying to " score points ".

& on that note RIP to the Guy who dies & my condolonces to his Family.

Mar 23 2008 The Judge

JACK and Margaret Paterson were devastated when their son died in a motorbike crash in Thailand last week.

Stephen, 35, had been touring Asia on a six-month backpacking holiday.

The first the Patersons knew of the tragedy was when police officers arrived at their door on Monday.

Now travel insurance firm First Assist are adding to their grief by refusing to bring his body back home. Today he lies in a mortuary 6200 miles from his grieving family.

First Assist claim his policy is invalid because he was driving a 125cc motorbike - and he was insured only for 50cc bikes.

Jack, 57, of Bilston, Midlothian, called me in despair. He said: "Stephen's death has devastated us. We are in pieces. We cannot afford the £3100 repatriation costs to bring our son home.

"Humanity has gone out the window. This firm is refusing to help and so far they haven't even sent us a copy of the travel policy.

"We don't know if Stephen was covered or not as he took the policy with him."

In a heart-rending plea Jack added: "All we want is to bring our son home and put him to rest. Is it too much to ask?"

Stephen, a joiner, had taken out a £126 policy with First Assist in November. He flew to the US, Cambodia and finally the paradise island of Koh Phangan in Thailand, where the accident happened.

Jack said: "Stephen was happy-go-lucky, a youngster at heart. He'd been to India, New Zealand, Australia and the Far East."

When Jack and Margaret, 58, who both work at Sainsbury's, were told of his death, they contacted the Foreign Office.

Jack said: "We don't know exactly what happened but he wasn't wearing a helmet."

They got in touch with First Assist after finding the policy details in a notepad.

Jack, also dad to Lyndsay, 31, and Alan, 25, said: "The travel policy was supposed to cover him for every eventuality. He didn't know he needed to pay extra to ride a motorbike bigger than 50cc."

First Assist referred the claim to underwriters who refused to meet the costs.

That's when Jack called me in. He said: "I want to warn others. They were trying to find a way not to pay.

"We are not asking for millions, just enough to get him home. In Thailand, they may cremate him. We need to lay him to rest and grieve properly."

I got on to First Assist at their Plymouth HQ but they refused to pay out. They even refused to offer a goodwill gesture to the family.

Head of claims Ian Jones said: "We offer sincere condolences but the cover is specific in stating the maximum cc motorbike permissible."

Thanks for nothing, pal.

But I was determined not to let the Patersons down and contacted Sainsbury's to see if they would help financially.

And it looks as if the supermarket giant will come up with the goods for the couple.

Aspokesman told me: "We will do everything we can to support the family at this difficult time."

Let's hope next week I will be able to tell you Stephen is home where he belongs.

Additional reporting by JANE BARRIE

alot of deaths are the fault of the drivers most of them are drunk. there again this might be a different case. maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. there again i have had alot of friends die in samui through no fault of thier own. driving 120 km into a conrect lamp post whilst out of thier heads at 4 am. leaving the releatives to pick up the peices. that is being honest. compassion or not that is the truth.

so many forangs get on a motor bike out here with no experience. ok you could argue weather they should be aloud to. the fact is that they can. why should someone over the age of 20 need a nanny to tell them wright from wrong. if u get on a bike in asia with no experience then your odds are going up to have an accident. my advise is DO YOUR MOTOR BIKE TEST!!!

if u get on a bike in asia with no experience then your odds are going up to have an accident. my advise is DO YOUR MOTOR BIKE TEST!!!

The first bit is very true, my advice would be to not get on them at all & rent a Car for 20 GBP or less per day, simple...

i am pretty sure this guy had experience, he was just drunk. as someone said above, lucky he did not kill someone else. still sad though. RIP.

Being pretty sure is meaningless maybe he crashed whilst trying to avoid something, (cat, Dog another vehicle) unless there is an eye witness that saw exactly what happened lets have some respect and stop speculating.

Eyewitnesses I spoke to said that he was driving through the village at a very high rate of speed, lost control of the motorbike on the curve and crashed into the metal pole next to the house on the corner.

With all due respect to the person that died and their family, despite the situation and factors that resulted in his death. I am concerned that uncontrolled speed was a factor in the accident, maybe alcohol but pleased that no one else was hurt by the crashing bike.

I am in no way being flippant when I suggest that the person probably has a return ticket to his home country, is there really a clause on airline tickets that you have to be alive? If the insurance company are refusing to repatriate the body - maybe the airline might be "encouraged" to help.

With all due respect to the person that died and their family, despite the situation and factors that resulted in his death. I am concerned that uncontrolled speed was a factor in the accident, maybe alcohol but pleased that no one else was hurt by the crashing bike.

I am in no way being flippant when I suggest that the person probably has a return ticket to his home country, is there really a clause on airline tickets that you have to be alive? If the insurance company are refusing to repatriate the body - maybe the airline might be "encouraged" to help.

That's very true Cuban..

Put a hat on his head and plonk him in the corner, hope noone notices?

I am reminded about a case about 7 (?) years ago where an American resident in Pattaya died (if my memory is correct) shortly after boarding a plane at Don Muang for a normal scheduled flight back to the US. He was seriously ill after an accident on his motorcycle with a Baht Bus, leg very badly damaged. I think he either didn't have or his insurance would not pay for a repatriation medical emergency flight - air ambulance.

In that case I think the body was taken from the plane and he was cremated locally.

Is the moral in these cases one of insurance cover or controlled driving?

Controlled driving, and understanding the risks you take. Insurance companies are not the most understanding, however they have a right to expect an insured person to take reasonable precautions to prevent an accident. If all insurance companies worked on compassion alone and paid out every claim, premiums would rise and people would stop buying insurance, resulting in a worse scenario. And before I get yelled at, this is not a lack of compassion for a accident but a comment on views of a simgle case that can have a much worse effect.

i'm no fan of insurance companies but they did inform the customer of the limits of the policy i assume, so why is everyone expecting them to cover more than what they agreed to in the contract? they are a business after all, not a charity.

have a bit of respect mate there boy died.i suppose you are a dodgy buisness man are you?maybe you can pay the 3grand hey,come on MATE dont be shy put your hands in ya pockets :o tight wad didnt think for a minute you cheep CHARLIE