Salsa

jayenram

During my last few years in the UK, I became rather partial to salsa (from a jar). Since leaving the UK I've not seen the product on the shelves and effectively gave up with it until last week I noticed some large cayenne chilies for sale in Big 'C'. I thought I'd give it a go and came up with this:

6 - 8 Large red chilies, coarsely chopped

1 Large onion, coarsely chopped

8 Ripe firm(ish) tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped

Juice of 2 or 3 limes

A generous handful of fresh coriander, chopped

A few dashes of vinegar

1/4 tsp sugar

Salt

A few Thai "hot" chilies, chopped (optional)

Mix the onion with the lime juice in a large bowl and set aside for 30 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients (except the Thai chilies) and mix well. Taste for hotness and add some Thai chilies to your taste. Put 50% of the mixture in a blender and pulse blend for a second or two. Return the blended mixture to the bowl, mix well and chill, preferably overnight.

Has anyone a different recipe that I may try?

Cheers

J

I took zzdocxx and hurdy gurdy's advice and added a spoonful of garlic (pureed 2 weeks ago and frozen) to a batch I made yesterday. It certainly adds a zing. Unfortunately I underestimated the hotness of the Thai chilies (added 3 very finely chopped) so it's a little on the firery side.

However, I'm looking forward to a plate full of crisps (chips) with it at 12 noon when I pour my first Archa. A very pleasant combination for a hot summer's afternoon.

Cheers

J

Not all salsas need tomato, and in my opinion the best fresh salsas do not need so many additions that can mask the flavor of the chilies.

If you can find some other "meaty" chili varieties, try making a salsa that is only chilies, onion, coriander, garlic, lime juice, and salt (no vinegar nor sugar, and mind that the onion is a minor fraction compared to the chilies). This may take a few batches to find the mixture of different chili varieties that you like, but it's a "sacrifice" well worth making. Stock up on corn tortilla chips. :o

Also, if you have the patience, try roasting some (or all) chilies first to get a much broader and more mellow flavor. I think a Thai-style wok on high heat could be used to blacken the skins a bit, or just broil them on high heat if you have an oven... Some people will remove the blackest skin, but I like to roast them lightly enough that all the skin stays in. Put the darkest bits in the part you pulse in the blender. (But, too much blackened stuff and it will be bitter.)

Speaking of avocado, I made my first guacamole in Thailand last week... the very lazy-man's variety. I just scooped one avocado into a small bowl, added some roasted garlic powder, dry red chili powder, a pinch of salt, and a few squeezes of lime juice and mashed it together with a fork. I'm not sure why it took me four years to get around to that, but absence did make the heart grow fonder!

Also, if you have the patience, try roasting some (or all) chilies first to get a much broader and more mellow flavor. I think a Thai-style wok on high heat could be used to blacken the skins a bit, or just broil them on high heat if you have an oven... Some people will remove the blackest skin, but I like to roast them lightly enough that all the skin stays in. Put the darkest bits in the part you pulse in the blender. (But, too much blackened stuff and it will be bitter.)

I tried that the first time (roasting over an open gas flame on a toasting fork) but I think I personally prefer the "raw" taste of the chili. I suppose it depends a lot upon the type of chili being used (or available) and the toughness of the skins. I've heard that if using 'serrano' chilies it is better to sear and peel off the skins.

Cheers

J

If you like just fresh non cooked, google pico de gallo, if you prefer the bottled type, these are cooked and can add complexity to the flavors, try using canned chipotles if your making a simmered salsa. Only thing I'd add to the above recipe is a pinch or two of ground cumin.

If you like just fresh non cooked, google pico de gallo, if you prefer the bottled type, these are cooked and can add complexity to the flavors, try using canned chipotles if your making a simmered salsa. Only thing I'd add to the above recipe is a pinch or two of ground cumin.

I'm not sure that canned chipotles are available around these parts but I do have a liking for cumin. I'll try that next time or maybe just use dry roasted cumin seeds?