Forced Tip

Interman

Me first! I am waiting on him to cite a source on the IQ rubbish!

Rubbish? You sound pretty sure of yourself there.

Three key words (IQ, Bangkok, Pollution) into the google search engine and look what popped up on the first page!

http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~pennenv/greentim...7/air_asim.html

Motor vehicle traffic is a major source of air pollution in the megacities. In half of them it is the single most important source. It is a major source of four of the six major air pollutants -- carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons and lead
the US Public Health Service maintains that concentrations of lead in the blood of children over 100 um per liter causes "measurable and irreversible" damages, with a 2 to 4-point average IQ deficit for eac h increase of 100 to 150 um per liter in blood lead. Given this, imagine the extreme hazards faced by children in Bangkok, who in the 1990 study had typical blood-lead levels of 400 um per liter.

Not that hard was it JD ? Surely quicker and better than "waiting in line" and moaning about it with pointless posts eh?

I've noticed, that for such a senior member you have made a lot of posts in this thread but not one of them has been constructive or in the least bit helpful to the OP. Perhaps you should get off your high horse and keep this in mind before going around bullying new members regarding their posting style. Thank you.

Me first! I am waiting on him to cite a source on the IQ rubbish!

Rubbish? You sound pretty sure of yourself there.

Three key words (IQ, Bangkok, Pollution) into the google search engine and look what popped up on the first page!

http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~pennenv/greentim...7/air_asim.html

Motor vehicle traffic is a major source of air pollution in the megacities. In half of them it is the single most important source. It is a major source of four of the six major air pollutants -- carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons and lead
the US Public Health Service maintains that concentrations of lead in the blood of children over 100 um per liter causes "measurable and irreversible" damages, with a 2 to 4-point average IQ deficit for eac h increase of 100 to 150 um per liter in blood lead. Given this, imagine the extreme hazards faced by children in Bangkok, who in the 1990 study had typical blood-lead levels of 400 um per liter.

Not that hard was it JD ? Surely quicker and better than "waiting in line" and moaning about it with pointless posts eh?

I've noticed, that for such a senior member you have made a lot of posts in this thread but not one of them has been constructive or in the least bit helpful to the OP. Perhaps you should get off your high horse and keep this in mind before going around bullying new members regarding their posting style. Thank you.

Let me help you with your rubbish :o Your link has a supposition that what you claim might exist with no basis in fact. .. Note your quote "Given this, imagine..." In fact there's no supporting evidence for your claim at all! Sad to see someone reaching so desperately to prove something that has not been researched :D Again, when you can find an accurate study citing lower IQ in Bangkok as a result of airborne particulates in street vendor food; PLEASE post it :D

^^^^^ Was in transit on my way to Singapore many years ago. Why enlighten me as to why washing dishes in dirty water wouldnt potentially be bad for you, or why i believe that service staff arent allowed to think for themsleves is incorrect Thai expert.

If you can confirm that they are willing to take away the 10% service charge from the bill i am happy to admit im wrong, though i would never ask as im not that cheap, can you confirm this.

wow! in transit! many years ago!

I imagine you could find places still using the dirty water that you saw then! (Many, if not most popular street vendors use a multi stage washing set up. Additionally most folks take the food home :o

I am sure your recent trip here was quite enlightening for you.

Sorry no, I cannot confirm that you are not that cheap!

^^^^^ Was in transit on my way to Singapore many years ago. Why enlighten me as to why washing dishes in dirty water wouldnt potentially be bad for you, or why i believe that service staff arent allowed to think for themsleves is incorrect Thai expert.

If you can confirm that they are willing to take away the 10% service charge from the bill i am happy to admit im wrong, though i would never ask as im not that cheap, can you confirm this.

I imagine you could find places still using the dirty water that you saw then! (Many, if not most popular street vendors use a multi stage washing set up. Additionally most folks take the food home :o

WOW congrats on your first on-topic post in this thread ! you still got some work to do in the quality department though 555

I imagine you could find places still using the dirty water that you saw then! (Many, if not most popular street vendors use a multi stage washing set up. Additionally most folks take the food home :D

It is a good thing that I am not a moderator or both of you clowns would be down the road.

Get a room... :o

It is a good thing that I am not a moderator or both of you clowns would be down the road.

Get a room... :o

agreed - mods kindly close this thread or send these clowns to bicker elsewhere for a while.

jd - stop winding him up I am almost wetting myself here :D

• 3 months later...

What's more annoying about tipping is that in places like the Food Court in Emporium, not only is there a service charge, there is also a "tip box" at the cashier's desk. I see almost every person dump their coins into that box even after paying an extra X% for service. It's pretty cheeky to add it there.

Now, I do tip and tip what I and my wife consider to be an accapetable amount for the service. However, a 10% servie charge on a meal of 5,000 baht is 500 baht and is more than double the minimum wage.

Without getting into an arguement about minimum wage, it does seem odd that the 'tip" or service charge is more than that waiter's salary for the night.

Tips are for the people that give the service and I generally take the money out of the little folder and hand it to the person directly.

What's more annoying about tipping is that in places like the Food Court in Emporium, not only is there a service charge, there is also a "tip box" at the cashier's desk. I see almost every person dump their coins into that box even after paying an extra X% for service. It's pretty cheeky to add it there.

The service charge at the Food Hall (the Food Court is where you use coupons) is 5%, not 10%. And you are not forced to pay a tip, there is no reason why they shouldn't have the tip box there.

Edited by onethailand

I just can not believe some people lo

Im speachlessl

and you seem to have lost the ability to spell.

that aside, we have a fine cross section of tv humanity represented here: the single-minded health advocate who has apparently decided that his own sense of humour was carcinogenic and had it removed; the cut and paste artist who screams for a citation the moment somebody posts something he hasn't copied from an online news source or wiki. the cheap bastrad who assumes the international practice of a service charge is another attempt by evil thailand to part him from his few paltry satangs; the syncophant who is just happy to be agreeing with somebody and the would be moderator, self-appointed aribter of what is worthy.

I play the part of the sneering cynic who gave up posting anything useful here years ago but is still drawn to the site to shake his head in disgust like a moth to the flame or a thai to a traffic accident.

Edited by t.s

Yes it's a forced tip. However they are usually rather clear about it on the menu so you know the deal BEFORE you order. I'm a decent tipper, I understand service folks need to make a living and I like GOOD service which I encourage with GOOD tips. HOWEVER if they force a tip out of me ie with a service charge, I don't give them a further satang. As they have chosen to tell ME how good their service is as opposed to letting me be the judge.

PhilHarries is correct here, the term is "plus, plus" or ++ on the menu. That means VAT and service charge on top of what you are paying.

I've always hated this, just add it into the price, I hate thinking in my mind I'm paying one price and then the bill shows up with 17%added on.

Also, the staff does not always get the service charges. I know for a fact that at one establishment the company keeps half for their own and then splits the 5% amongst the staff. Seems there should be laws on the books regarding this..............10% service charge yet the establishment gets 5%?????..........

I know for a fact if I see ++ on my bill I won't be leaving a tip. Why? Cuz they already got it.

Still scratching my head over what American food chains charge ++.

Most if not all hotel coffee shops & restaurants charge it.

I can't understand why anyone with a modicum of self esteem would share something like this. :o

cute. still think 17 isn't really underage?

Edited by t.s

PhilHarries is correct here, the term is "plus, plus" or ++ on the menu. That means VAT and service charge on top of what you are paying.

I've always hated this, just add it into the price, I hate thinking in my mind I'm paying one price and then the bill shows up with 17%added on.

Also, the staff does not always get the service charges. I know for a fact that at one establishment the company keeps half for their own and then splits the 5% amongst the staff. Seems there should be laws on the books regarding this..............10% service charge yet the establishment gets 5%?????..........

I know for a fact if I see ++ on my bill I won't be leaving a tip. Why? Cuz they already got it.

Still scratching my head over what American food chains charge ++.

Most if not all hotel coffee shops & restaurants charge it.

in canada most restaurants added it automatically to any party over a certain number. i think it may have been 10.

I just can not believe some people lo

Im speachlessl

and you seem to have lost the ability to spell.

that aside, we have a fine cross section of tv humanity represented here: the single-minded health advocate who has apparently decided that his own sense of humour was carcinogenic and had it removed; the cut and paste artist who screams for a citation the moment somebody posts something he hasn't copied from an online news source or wiki. the cheap bastrad who assumes the international practice of a service charge is another attempt by evil thailand to part him from his few paltry satangs; the syncophant who is just happy to be agreeing with somebody and the would be moderator, self-appointed aribter of what is worthy.

I play the part of the sneering cynic who gave up posting anything useful here years ago but is still drawn to the site to shake his head in disgust like a moth to the flame or a thai to a traffic accident.

:o

Nice.

In most establishments where the management has the welfares of their employees at heart, these is what happens.......

The 10 percent service charge is totalled each month from all receipts. Distributing them to service employees every month is computed (as an example) at the following point systems (at the discretion of managements).

For example:

Managers 2 4 points each 8 points

Supervisors 2 3 points each 6 points

Cooks 4 3 points each 12 points

Wait staffs 8 2 points each 16 points

Dish washers, others 4 1 point each 4 points

Total 46 points

Grand Total received from SC : bht 50,000 therefore each point is worth bht 1,087. Wait staffs receiving lesser points then the others, for example cooks, though they are the direct service giver is because they have the potential to receive direct tipping from happy customers. So please do not stop tipping them directly if you're happy with their services. Kop kun mak khrap !

I have nothing to do today. :o