Classic Movies On Dvd - Best Shops In Bkk?

Filer

Any recommendations for shops in Bangkok that have a really good selection of classic English language movies on DVD -- and who know what they've got?

I'm looking for things like:

The Third Man

Zorba the Greek

Indochine

Day of the Jackal

Castaway

Capt Corelli's Mandolin

The Shawshank Redemption

filer, must they be originals from a shop?

the reason i ask, is i know a guy that has a really impressive collection of movies, comedy etc.

he will deliver in the bkk area, pm me for his details, phone number.

i and others i know have used him and never had a problem.

DVD station on Sukhumvit just to the side of Sheraton Grande (underneth the skytrain station) is good for lotsa Western movies. Also, Shawshank Redemption is available in it's special edition packaging in a SE Asia (region 3) realease at many DVD outlets. Great edition (English language) with lots of extras and zone 3 pricing.

how about just off the roads?

The op mentioned "classic" movies not current Hollywood crapola. Also, some people appreciate the quality of legit DVDs and not the second-rate copies (sans any extras) available from Bangkok's street corners.

DVD station on Sukhumvit just to the side of Sheraton Grande (underneth the skytrain station) is good for lotsa Western movies. Also, Shawshank Redemption is available in it's special edition packaging in a SE Asia (region 3) realease at many DVD outlets. Great edition (English language) with lots of extras and zone 3 pricing.

Yes, they do have a good selection of Original Movies. You can also find some Gems in the Video Chains. I was able to buy the first 3 seasons of an old TV Series for my daughter from the video chain thats in many Tesco's

I was able to buy the first 3 seasons of an old TV Series for my daughter from the video chain thats in many Tesco's

Likely referring to either Mangpong (Scorpion) or the Japanese/Thai chain called Tsetsuya (primarily rentals but sometime sell old stock however movies mostly of "Thai" interest). One should always check-in with Mangpong every few months as they do get some really good (and sometimes classic) Hollywood movies releases in zone 3 format (always with English). You never know what will turn-up. And the best part is the price is one-half to sometime one-third of the zone 1 (USA) release of the same title (and most/all of the extras and the quality is the same as a zone 1 release).

Recently at Mangpong I have seen some classic Clint Eastwood Sergio Leone westerns, including the special editions of the "Dollar Trilogy," the WWII flicks A Bridge Too Far and The Battle of Britain, SEs of The 10 Commandments and Ben-Hur. Also purchased the BBC nature series The Blue Planet and Planet Earth for less than half the price on Amazon. A few years back, they got a bunch of old Warner Bros. classics like SE Ed. of Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Casablanca, etc. It was HEAVEN while it lasted. :o

Edited by jonniebkk

I found a place on the third floor of Fortune IT that is just great. Near the open circular end (Tesco Lotus side) on the left as you come from the escalators that start on the ground floor by Dairy Queen. Its not a back room shop, everything is out front and it is filled with all the classics. In addition to having everything from Citizen Kane to Chang (with English subtitles) they also have all the Japanese and Korean classics. The owner knows his stuff, have him pick out one or two for you, you wont be disappointed.

I've just been to the same place as recommended by xbusman in Fortune IT Mart. dam_n, I wish I could remember its name. It has all sorts of classics - I bought Mean Streets and Taxi Driver by Scorcese, Les 400 Coups by Truffaut, Tess by Polanski and a number of others. All excellent quality.

Thanks, everyone, for some great suggestions. I'll be following these up in the next couple of weeks. I'll try and post my results here. I'll probably start with the shop at Fortune Town.

Thanks, rgs2001uk (the first responder), for your suggestion, but I'd prefer this time to be getting shop versions. I'll keep your suggestion in mind for another occasion.

I've just been to the same place as recommended by xbusman in Fortune IT Mart. dam_n, I wish I could remember its name. It has all sorts of classics - I bought Mean Streets and Taxi Driver by Scorcese, Les 400 Coups by Truffaut, Tess by Polanski and a number of others. All excellent quality.

Are their disc genuine or illegal copies (albeit good ones)? What are the prices? Are they the Chinese knock-offs ...these are often well packaged but I often have problems playing many of these discs.

Pretty sure the Fortune Town shop is DVD Square, which is certainly one of the best shops I've come across for less obvious stuff. I've bought quite a few French and Japanese movies there that you'd be hard pushed to find elsewhere in town. As far as legitimacy goes, these would best be described as 'different' from what you would buy at Mangpong or Tsutaya.

The DVD shops on the upper floors of Tuk Com here in Pattaya have what I think you guys are referring to. There is a big selection of classic films as well as all the latest and classic US and some foreign TV series. Many times they even have really elaborate packaging. This stuff all comes from China and sometimes it can be pretty good quality. No problems at all, but often, some of the extras don't work or there can be some problem mid-way through a DVD and it crashes. I therefore confine my purchases of this material to single disc stuff and not the season long or complete series boxes (which run to some serious money sometimes) so that I minimize my losses if any problems with the disks.

Also, noticed today that Mangpong has lots of new stuff...like Platoon SE and other good stuff in.

Why bother. Download Azureus for free then go to www.btjunkie.com and download everything for free. My ipod is crammed and we have just finished watching Hogfather and the Third Man is downloading as we speak!

Like Garlic bread..... its the future!!!! :o

That's ok if you have a stable high-speed internet connection. Still something of a fiction in most of Thailand. If I am lucky, I can download a 2 hour movie in 7-8 hours (overnite). If the connection is broken, often have to start again from the beginning. That's why, if the price is right, it's easier to buy the disc.

Why bother. Download Azureus for free then go to www.btjunkie.com and download everything for free. My ipod is crammed and we have just finished watching Hogfather and the Third Man is downloading as we speak!

That's ok if you have a stable high-speed internet connection. Still something of a fiction in most of Thailand. If I am lucky, I can download a 2 hour movie in 7-8 hours (overnite). If the connection is broken, often have to start again from the beginning. That's why, if the price is right, it's easier to buy the disc.

Generally I would agree and it does take a long time. However using azureus if the connection is broken once it re-starts Azureus just picks it up from where it left off, so you don't have to re-start. I live in Bkk and my connectipn is up and down like the Assyrian Empire!! Depending when you download has an effect on the speed.

Look-Maew Video Store has a really good selection of just about everything including some/most of the OP's choices:

3rd Floor, MBK Center, Payathai Road

Tel 02 620 9239

Email [email protected]

And as mentioned, there are one or two shops in Fortune which have good selections.

I've been to dozens of shops in the last two weeks looking for "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin", which I couldn't find even in Yaowarat, so have seen lot's of shops.

where are you in thailand?

that is why you torrent, it does not matter if the connection is broken, it just resumes.

that is why you torrent, it does not matter if the connection is broken, it just resumes.

My understanding is that this is not always the case...it depends of if the file/server you are trying to download is configured to allow file downloads to resume automatically when they left off if the connection is broken. I do some torrent downloads and it works well if this is the case.

I can now verify that Azureus works well outside of Bangkok. I have just moved to a place near Kanchaniburi where we have a satellite connection for internet and it works fine (actualy it crashes less than Bkk)

My understanding is that this is not always the case...it depends of if the file/server you are trying to download is configured to allow file downloads to resume automatically when they left off if the connection is broken. I do some torrent downloads and it works well if this is the case.

you must be misunderstanding something, I torrent constantly and have never not had a torrent pick up where it left off.