My Pc Clock Is Slow

Jockstar

I , or should i say the wife has noticed that my PC clock keeps losing hours. I keep changing it but it still stays out by hours. Currently it is around 17.50 here in sydney but my clock shows 11.08 am. Is this to do with the battery in my pc? I guess i will have to replace it. How much roughly? Cheers.

.......edit.......Is this to do with the battery in my pc? I guess i will have to replace it. How much roughly? Cheers.

Very likely it is the backup battery on the motherboard!

if your com is more than 2-3 years old you will have to replace it....!

I guess i will have to replace it. How much roughly? Cheers.

Does sound like the battery. Should cost around a hundred baht or so.

//edit - this is assuming you have set it in the BIOS and the time error shows up there.

If it's connected to the internet all the time, you could get it to synchronise with a time server. (If you're using XP, double-click on the clock on the screen, click on the Internet Time tab, and check the box saying to synchronise with a time server).

It will then set the time once a week (assuming you've got the right time-zone set up).

However, it does rely on the motherboard Bios battery when you turn the PC off, so that's likely to be the underlying problem. (It's just a large lithium - i.e. watch - battery. and is very easy to take out and replace. Just remember if there's no battery for more than a minute or so, you'll have to manually set all your Bios settings again.)

If the bat is already dead and you'v had the PC off that long and used it again then don't worry the default setting are work well enough.  at any rate when changing the bat it will only take 2 second to get the new one in its place.  just remove the power ie unplug open case see bat looks like large coin pop out pop in new close up plug in and go for it.  

I found this some time ago on the internet;

"To synchronize more often, find the W32Time registry key given below modify the existing value called "SpecialPollInterval". If you don't see SpecialPollInterval listed in this section, you can create it as a new DWORD value. The value of this should be set to the number of Seconds between sync attempts. If you wanted to check once per day, the value would be 86400.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient]

Value Name: SpecialPollInterval

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: Seconds in Decimal

To add more time servers, first check to see if your version of Windows will let you simply type them in on the screen shown above. If so, this saves you the trouble and possible problems of editing the registry yourself. If you need to add them manually yourself, find the registry key for DateTime Servers provided in full below and create a new string value. Name it the next number in sequence (usually '3') and set the data of the new value to equal the hostname or IP address of the time server.

You can also change the default server by setting the value of "(Default)" to the entry number of the required server.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers]

Value Name: (Default)

Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

Value Data: Server Hostname or IP Address."

I set my computer up so that it updates the time every 4 hours. It works great.