No Less Then Death Penalty For Hanna's Murderer

MustaphaMond

I'd like to add one thing. I think it was you who previously wrote:

"A memorial is being organized for Ms. Backlund and to vigil against hate crime directed at women across the globe."

Do you even know what hate crime is? You couldn't even hold a memorial service JUST for the dead girl. You had to bring in all your opinions as well. What you are doing is not for Hanna.

Edited by vanalli

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ask me I would say Hang the bastard to show that this sort of crime is not tolerated against farlang who come to Thailand.

Ted.

Are you suggesting this sort of crime should be tolerated against Thai women?

I hope not. The punishment should fit the crime not the victim regardless of race, gender, creed or social status.

took the words right out of my mouth PhilHarries. the simple fact is that the victim is a HUMAN BEING and the punishment should be the same whether the was thai or western. why does everyone start jumping up and down as soon as a western woman is assaulted, yet there are many thai women every day who are assaulted and killed (ok, maybe im over exaggerating, but you know what i mean). i feel for the victims family, yet this 'eye for an eye' mentality is something that leaves a lot to be desired. i dont truly believe that the family will feel better if this man is killed.

any criminal court should judge the case on the facts of the crime, not the fact that there are people protesting.

to the OP, i do understand that you are passionate about this case, but it does appear that you are perhaps banging your head against a brick wall.

Exactly. What this woman is lobbying for is a mandatory death sentence for convicted murderers, but I don't recall her ever raising her voice in the cases of murdered Thais, Burmese and so on. The OP is not passionate about this case. The murder of Hanna Backlund is a way for her to voice her feminist opinions. We started with this being a hate crime against women and now we have a call for the ACCUSED to be killed in direct violation of Thai law.

(Snip)

They do not give a stuff for the young women that are being raped and murdered with alarming regularity. If they were they would do something to make the place safer.

And not just pay lip service.

Yes they do - they are giving them all whistles! :o

A call to the Phuket Presecutor's office brought the info that Mr Tankae will sit on ice for about a year, before any kind of judicial procedure.

I will try to get another call in to reconfirm this info.

Meanwhile here is a letter to the state dept I wrote, please feel free to cut and past portions to send out to various agencies and perhaps your hometownnewspaper too.

I will send it out to major media ..

>>>>

I am a ___________ Citizen now residing in Thailand for __________________.

In this time I've come to learn that tourists are not fully informed of the dangerous attitude toward safety that is prevalent within Thai society and governing bodies.

With the aid of an effective tourism ministry, this aspect of Thai culture is not widely known and affects everything from lax adherance to building standards, fully visible with the allowance of electric lines everywhere. Pot- holes and ankle-breaking or blocked sidewalks and most fatally; proportionately higher numbers of dangerously speeding, fatalistic drivers.

Also there is rampant, inadequate maintenance of buses, trains, and certain airlines are constant source of industry insider horror stories.

And, with broad daylight brutal slaying of Swedish tourist Hanna Backlund, March 15 on a semi-secluded Phuket beach within a short walk of her small resort's bungalows- there is danger and murder in the most seemingly peaceful and safe of situations.

Along with effective tourist ministry, Thailand has a sympathetic press. Allow me to make others aware that Bangkok's English language paper, The Nation has repeatedly printed and inferred this most recent brutality happened, "late at night." ( CNN web site had picked up the mistake and relayed the misinformation to Americans .)

It is established by Mr Tankae, the admitted accused, and by the state of her found body that Ms. Backlund was walking along the water line about 11:30 daytime, costumed in a 2 piece swimming outfit when he came up to her from behind in an attempted rape that quickly turned into butchery of with a large kitchen knife.

Thai police and govermental officials made much of a statement Tankae had previewed Backlund sunbathing semi-nud_e as he peeped/stalked her over a three day period.

A leading tourist official is quoted on the front page of Bangkok Post as saying that women sunbathing in states of undress can expect to be, "...attacked..." The paper chose to run a picture of a woman in a bikini.

They state a plan is in the works to give whistles to female tourists on Phuket.

Seriously.

I wholeheartedly wish that revision to the travel warnings to Thailand are undergone to reflect the nature of these warnings

It is a very dangerous country to be in and travelers, if not in a group, and particularly backpackers, loners and women in ANY situation, should practice utmost wariness at all times.

now we have a call for the ACCUSED to be killed in direct violation of Thai law.

The max penalty on March 15th 2008, the day Ms. Backlund was butchered is death for pre-meditated murder. I want the guilty to suffer the maximum penalty that he knew was in legal standing on that day.

And I want others to know this will happen to them.

And of course I want people to stop viewing women as second class citizens with laws binding only to them, their value judged on how sexy they are, their title names on how sexually available ? Don't you??

I don't care what anyone thinks, I am going to do whatever I can to see that Mr Tankae gets the max penalty for his confessed crime , butchering Hanna Backlund.

This thread is for those who may want to assist or have information are interested , all others interested in arguing, please move along..

Perhaps your own thread if negative bashing is your forte!!

I'm certainly am not going to argue with .....uh, others who really just want to engage online in ridiculous arguments regarding verbal semantics.

Really rather sad...What have you done to combat this not happen anymore? Huh??

What HAVE YOU DONE!!

So....

Lets see if down the road, IF Mr. Tankae feels the heat coming down-that he sticks to the confession . Or not .

Either way I want the next butcher to know that if he murders he may get MAXIMUM penalty no matter how nicy nice he plays afterward. I've consulted a lawyer who presumably knows the law and am assured this is all very legal.

I certainly am not going to " Disrupt " proceedings in any way .

But , I am going to do what I can, all quite legally

It's called Amicus.

Now about the proposed "Bikini Bash."

Any thoughts???

I'd like to add one thing. think it was you who previously wrote:

"A memorial is being organized for Ms. Backlund and to vigil against hate crime directed at women across the globe."

Do you even know what hate crime is? You couldn't even hold a memorial service JUST for the dead girl. You had to bring in all your opinions as well. What you are doing is not for Hanna.

1) You're wrong, I relayed that message from an e mail to this forum.

2) Hanna was 27 years af age, hardly a girl.

Mr. Tankae is of similiar age but no one is calling him " Boy".

Umm, Why?

3) You're right, it's not for Hanna because she's dead and gone . It's for the living who may avoid assault because an attacker knows if he does the crime , or confesses wrongly in a police convenience, he might just die.

now we have a call for the ACCUSED to be killed in direct violation of Thai law.

The max penalty on March 15th 2008, the day Ms. Backlund was butchered is death for pre-meditated murder. I want the guilty to suffer the maximum penalty that he knew was in legal standing on that day.

And I want others to know this will happen to them.

And of course I want people to stop viewing women as second class citizens with laws binding only to them, their value judged on how sexy they are, their title names on how sexually available ? Don't you??

No. If he confesses the killing and gives himself up he cannot receive the death penalty.

Edited by vanalli

It is possible to see that justice is done. Will anyone help me to attend hearings, show a cohesive presence and attempt to lobby the court so as to assure the death penalty in this case?

Whilst I can't attend myself, I'll certainly wish you luck, as I certainly concur with your opinion; the miserable wretch should be put to death.

Personally, I don't like this nonsense where the offender confesses to obtain a lesser sentence; the full weight of the law should be applied in all cases.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

I do think that if the profile of this sickening case was to be highlighted in the newspapers in every country of the developed world with the likely consequence that the Thai tourism industry was to be dealt a really severe blow then the authorities might (just might) start to put their money where their mouth is. Don't hold your breath - I was optimistic when, albeit it with Thaksin's intervention, the Samui fisherman were sentenced to death, but the b******s are still breathing good air & will probably get pardoned at some point (hopefully they'll contract some disease and suffer a slow miserable death in prison).

Then and only then is this sickening trend that has become "amazing Thailand" going to ever have the brakes put on it.

There is only one thing that they care about and that is their image. They do not give a stuff for the young women that are being raped and murdered with alarming regularity. If they were they would do something to make the place safer.

And not just pay lip service.

The Thai authorities talk the talk, but very seldom do they walk the walk. :o

took the words right out of my mouth PhilHarries. the simple fact is that the victim is a HUMAN BEING and the punishment should be the same whether the was thai or western. why does everyone start jumping up and down as soon as a western woman is assaulted, yet there are many thai women every day who are assaulted and killed (ok, maybe im over exaggerating, but you know what i mean). i feel for the victims family, yet this 'eye for an eye' mentality is something that leaves a lot to be desired. i dont truly believe that the family will feel better if this man is killed. Whilst this may not overcome the grief of their loss, perhaps they would be satisfied knowing the perpetrator had paid the ultimate price and enable them to move on more easily. I know if someone killed a member of my immediate family, I wouldn't be able to move on whilst the perpetrator still walked this planet & I'd certainly be waiting should he/she ever be released. I guess I'm not as willing to forgive as some of you.

any criminal court should judge the case on the facts of the crime, not the fact that there are people protesting.

to the OP, i do understand that you are passionate about this case, but it does appear that you are perhaps banging your head against a brick wall.

This thread is for those who may want to assist or have information are interested , all others interested in arguing, please move along..

Now about the proposed "Bikini Bash."

Any thoughts???

I'm not sure it's the done thing to open a thread in an open forum, and then moan at everyone that replies with things you don't want to hear!! If you took all the other opinions, and relative discussions out of this thread you would be left with you, talking to nobody but yourself, which I'm quite sure you could do in private. Blatant bashing is not appropriate, but people voicing opinions that differ from yours is the whole point of a conversation and a forum. Perhaps you should have made one post asking anyone who's interested, to PM you, and left it at that. All you are doing now, is forcing your feminist opinions on people, and trying to stop everyone airing theirs back, and as far as I've ever seen, bra burners do a lot more harm to the rights, and equality of women than they do good. Finally, the fact that you are still proposing a "Bikini Bash" (So inappropriate and probably offensive to a lot of people) after the general consensus it received, shows that you are not in the slightest bit interested in other peoples opinions, and it's probably time to stop asking for them. However, I have no desire to annoy, or upset you, so I will make no further posts, on this thread, and hopefully soon it will disappear in to the night, along with your good intentions.

I'd like to add one thing. think it was you who previously wrote:

1) You're wrong, I relayed that message from an e mail to this forum.

2) Hanna was 27 years af age, hardly a girl.

Mr. Tankae is of similiar age but no one is calling him " Boy".

Umm, Why?

3) You're right, it's not for Hanna because she's dead and gone . It's for the living who may avoid assault because an attacker knows if he does the crime , or confesses wrongly in a police convenience, he might just die.

lol .. this is just too pathetic

Mustapha admits that this man may be wrongly accused and that a confession may have been beaten out of him, yet thinks the death penalty is an appropriate sentence? Nah, no way any right-minded person thinks like this. Someone trolling for reactions might put this kind of silliness out there though!

Perhaps Mustapha should be organizing something to benefit the accused instead! Making sure his rights were fully protected! That he had an interpreter present and knew what he was signing, that the alleged confession was not beaten out of him. That he wasn't threatened with violence against his family or his community etc! I am personally gratified that the death penalty has not actually been carried out for some time in Thailand. (Not because I am opposed to the death penalty, as I personally feel it is more humane than a life sentence without the chance for parole; but instead because I do not trust the system well enough to protect the rights of the accused! Far too often in high profile cases like this, not only are the accused found in VERY short order, they are also FAR too often someone belonging to a minority group with little chance for a fair hearing!)

If mustapha is an arab then he learned his english in the USA as he makes the common bastardization of the use of the word 'then' when he means than. (No less than the death penalty!)

Anyhow i think mr mustapha is a wind up troll type merchant. His retoric is too muslim extremeist in tone to be true.

Next he will be asking for public beheadings or stoning of adulterers or lashing foreigners for consuming alchohol whilst not being in Bahrain or Dubai - where most of the hypocrtical arabs go for their pleasures.

NB. More meat is consumed in muslim countrys during the ramadan period than during any othere time of the year - a true fast indeed!

Edited by misterman21

Mrs/Ms MustaphaMond:

Please, for your own sake, let it rest and let Thai Justice run it's track. You might be hurting the system more than you anticipate or have in mind.

I don't know where you are from but it is the same as foreigners would demonstrate and protest in a tourist place like Bali or the Cote d'Azur in France, or Mexicans and Brazilians on the shores of Florida.

Do you think the authorities would accept and like that ? NO !

You, as I have read, are personally very shocked and moved by this murder and that is very understandable, but -please- let Hanna RIP.

Maybe you haven't noticed but you're creating an anti-MustaphaMond atmosphere and that's not what you had in mind when you opened this thread, I may presume.

Your personal favor for the Death Penalty is not something you can force through other people's throats...

Please, think of that.

LaoPo

Maximum penalty under the law is death, that's the law as it was written on March 15th( the Ides of March.)

Again, I will be following perfectly legal channels

It is really strange that people are actually sympathetic to this man.

Guess they are the ones who think she deserved it .

I will be setting up a petition and getting signatures from around Phuket need others others who will do the same in their communities, I will be setting up a web site soon.

By the way, I am a man.

Oh, forgot this.

http://www.phuketgazette.com/news/index.asp?id=6374

Sweden mulls issuing travel warnings

PHUKET CITY: The Swedish Consulate in Phuket and the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok are considering posting warnings on their official websites, advising Swedish women of potential dangers when traveling in Thailand.

The move follows sexual assaults and killings of female foreign tourists in recent years, most recently the stabbing murder of 26-year-old Swedish tourist Hanna Backlund on March 15 at Mai Khao Beach.

“We are considering posting a general warning on our website addressing the dangers one faces when traveling in Thailand,” said General Consul Christina Palm from the Swedish Consulate in Phuket.

Other countries have already taken such measures. “We continue to receive reports of sexual offenses committed against foreign women and men,” the British Embassy warns on its website.

“Female travelers in particular should maintain a high state of personal awareness during their time in Thailand,” the warning states.

Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit was recently quoted as saying Miss Backlund’s murder had hurt Phuket’s reputation. Tourism is the biggest earner of foreign currency for Thailand, bringing in more than US$16 billion in 2007.

Other violent attacks against female Swedish tourists in recent years include the rape of a 12-year-old girl and the attempted rape of an adult woman, both on Koh Samui in January 2006.

At a recent press conference, Thai Tourist Police Commander Maj Gen Choochart Suwannakom was quoted as saying his department would follow through with a plan to distribute whistles to female foreign tourists at beach destinations as a way of ensuring their safety.

A Danish police officer at the Nordic Police Liaison Office in Bangkok described the idea as “pathetic”.

“Thailand is so full of noise pollution that no-one is going to hear a whistle going off,” he said.

So what is your personal involvement in this ? Did you know her yourself ?

If not don't you think it is up to her family to follow up what they want to see done, not some stranger with a kinky desire to see someone strung up and dangling by their neck until they are dead dead dead ?

OK, so the Bikini Bash isn't rooting. ( though we think that would be extremely effective, though) any other ideas on how to publicise the dangers in Thailand to unsuspecting tourists?

As Mr Tankae has confessed, I do not see why so many are upset that he may receive the maximum penalty.

If he didn't do it , if he is just the convenient Patsy then maybe he'll recant if he suspects he might be in danger of losing his life.

He did not have any bruises from police torture at the re-enactment. He seemed quite happy in fact .

Have you seen the Channel 11 police video where everyone is smiling and slapping him on the back- Yeah, looks like a Patsy, so what? Next guy who wants to stick a knife in might think twice.

Of course we would all like to see the police report and any evidence.

But, for now I'm going with Mr Tankae as the assailant and I'm going for doing whatever I can, most extreme fashion legally available, to make him regret stabbing Hanna to death.

Rape- my ass, so why didn't he??He's a big guy.

Because he went to kill.

Your personal favor for the Death Penalty is not something you can force through other people's throats...

Please, think of that.

LaoPo

And I'm not trying to . I have merely asked for others who are interested in Mr. Tankae receiving the max penalty for butchery to assist in thinking of ways to make this happen.

Amicus briefs are quite common ( friend of Court) and anyone is able to submit one. (As are petitions.)

Anyone who lives in Thailand should be doing something to warn tourists about these unpublicised dangers.

IT AIN'T SAFE

Thank you LaoPo, for your concern.

It is really strange that people are actually sympathetic to this man.

Guess they are the ones who think she deserved it.

I will be setting up a petition and getting signatures from around Phuket need others others who will do the same in their communities, I will be setting up a web site soon.

It is asinine, insulting and childish to accuse those who wish to see the accused have his day in court *before* he is sentenced and executed of thinking she "deserved it".

Hint: throwing unfounded and provocative accusations around undermines and distracts from whatever point you are trying to make. :o

1. He did not have any bruises from police torture at the re-enactment. 2.He seemed quite happy in fact .

Have you seen the Channel 11 police video where everyone is smiling and slapping him on the back- Yeah, looks like a Patsy, so what? Next guy who wants to stick a knife in might think twice.

3. Because he went to kill.

1. It may shock some but the Thai police do not always beat up or torture detainees. I don't think they have big enough phone books to do what the North American cops used to do to kids back in my day - make you hold the phone book over your head and then smack it a few times with a billy club. No bruises but painful. In Canada, the rural cops usually take the drunks out of town and leave them out there. It works best when its -20.

2. Not much on effective police technique are you? One often gets more out of the suspect by playing nice and increasing his/her comfort level. If being pleasant gets the info, is it such a bad thing or are you more into the beating a confession out of someone?

3 So basically you are suggesting the accused is a psychopathic killer? That would make him mentally ill and probably incapable of knowing right from wrong. Thailand like many other countries has allowances for those accused that are mentally infirm.