Nana Hotel

rgs2001uk

Obviously making this real black and white here, but I think what realmadrid is getting at is that there are basically two different farang worlds in BKK. One consists of guys who hang out with Chula and Mahidol girls and spend their weekends at Emporium, Siam Paragon and the condo in Hua Hin. The other consists of the guys hanging around Nana, Soi 7 Beer Garden etc. usually with an Issarn GF who didn't make it past M. 3.

I like both worlds to be honest, but I've always noticed that the people hanging around nana seem to be more authentic, more relaxed and they always seem to be having a better time.

As for Nana hotel, it's real convenient, but it's getting run down. Time for a renovation. And I'd hate to see what one of the rooms look like under black light after being treated with one of those CSI kits. :o

Breakfast always makes for some interesting people watching.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai Thai is a real, genuine handsome man - and a nice guy besides - so there are at least a few on here. :o

He introduced me to Thai Visa many years ago.

Don't believe a word this Ulysses guy tells you. And I don't get propositioned everywhere I go in BKK like one of the earlier posters. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have all too many sex-pat friends who come to the Nana for a couple of months before flying back to the reality of their lives elsewhere in the world, only to see them return again a few months down the road. I walk down there at most twice a week to visit people, chat about real world things, as well as listen to the obligatory stories of their 'conquests'. I liken it to the "island of misfit toys", and can only tolerate it in metered doses.

That being said; aside from their extreme sexual shallowness, the people who are repeat stayers or live/stay long term are a fairly well educated, diverse bunch and often times are very interesting to chat with. You have to accept their penchant for "nana-necking"; which of course, is the ability for a man to turn his head like an owl in a 220+ degree arc while watching a girl walk by. You get used to that peculiarity which seems to be a 'nana specific' acquired illness.

The owner of the hotel has been renovating the floors one by one, and I believe all rooms recently got new air-cons. It's never gonna be 5 star hotel but it doesn't pretend to be that either. I think the official rating is just the outline of one star in magi marker, but it's nearly always booked full. Of course the front desk staff can usually 'find' a room for you if you don't make an advance reservation (for some money slipped them surreptitiously).

Unfortunately, they just recently raised the prices considerably in the Nana Restaurant. It was already pricey by thai standards for just above mediocre food. Water is no longer free, and Coffee or Tea I believe is now 65 baht a 15 baht increase.

As far as the girls who used to crowd the parking lot; the owner now employs a security guard to keep the free-lancers out of the lot for the most part. What used to be 30-50 girls is now limited to a few standing at the extreme corner of the lot by the pharmacy and the vietnam war era ones haunting the cocktail lounge.

It's still one of the greatest places to people watch. It comes into its own and is the "Twilight Zone" at 1:00am when Nana Plaza closes, disgorging its mass of humanity. You really see “Beauties and the Beasts” at that time of the evening. The Nana Disco is also a great place to watch people as well, but only gets going after about midnite. I think Spice Club opening under the Ambassador Hotel took a lot of their business.

Love it or hate it; it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never stayed at the Nana either. Usually stay at the Amari over across the road because it assuages my Western guilt to be snubbed by the Arabs in the elevators.
You should be the one doing the snubbing, what's wrong with you, :o