Beating The Heat

mrt273nva

i live in a house with no aircon and it is coming into the hot season and I am already drenched in sweat while writing this message. What can I do for my newborn to keep him cool? My mother-in-law thinks that wrapping him in blankets will keep him cool but I am having trouble finding the logic in that.

its true! Thai MIL think wrapping the poor buggers up in the heat is good for them! my MIL was the same,she arrived at my house in BKK,and as soon as she saw my daughter in 'normal' newborn attire she wrapped her up in a fluffy blanket ,shoved a hat on her head and turned the fan down!!! i removed it all as soon as she left.

unfortunatley i live next door to her now[she still has strange ideas about childrens attire]

Newborns cannot control their own body temps,i think this is why they have the urge to wrap them up in a million layers!

congrats to you and your family.

The general rule, is "One more layer". So whatever you would be comfortable in, add one more layer to the baby. Same goes for cold season.

We prefer just the regular rotating fans for newborns as AC dries out the air so much and irritates the sinuses.

As for portable A/C - have one we've never needed or used - brand new. Anyone want to buy it off from me?

I agree that is what we do well try to is always have one extra layer of clothing for the new born,

at around 6 months they will be able to control their body temperature so also again it is advised not to take them swimming until they are 6 months old,

as for the blankets and all, a small comparison are Bedouins, you see them wrapped in what foreigners call rags, but the hattat is placed as to absorb the sweat and then the sweat absorbs the heat to evaporate hence causing a cooling affect, same as the old refrigerators, (but do not think it works the same way for children)

For goodness sake dude find the money somehow a purchase an aircon, as soon as possible. We are talking maybe a BTU9000 for a small room, around Bt15 to 185000, shop around at your local Tesco Lotus, Marko, Big C, etc, you could even find a better deal. Good luck, go for it. A small price to pay for your little one.

zeid u are the man...the beduin layers are wool though so that is is breathable layers....

definately layers, but mostly for children and adults not infants...

and yes infants can go swimming from day one; just obviously do it in body temp or higher water and dry baby and dress well after wards, babies love to swim...

bina

The Bedouins live in a rather arid environment so I can see the logic in the layering but here the humidity in rather high and the evaproation effect might not work very well. I may be wrong though.

Break down and buy a small air-con for just one room to give the baby a break from the heat. Doesn't have to run all day just in the hottest part of the day. Just a thought.

My daughter, now 8 months, has always liked to be cool and she definately likes the aircon at night. At the moment, even fans just circulate hot air and whilst better than nothing, are no replacement for aircon. If it is an option, move or buy one. Perhaps your landlord will go part of the way with you ?

>We are talking maybe a BTU9000 for a small room, around Bt15 to 185000, shop around

>at your local Tesco Lotus, Marko, Big C, etc, you could even find a better deal

If money is an issue consider second hand?

If you are in rented accomodation - would the owner consider allowing an AC unit to be installed to increase the future "value" of the apartment?

For goodness sake dude find the money somehow a purchase an aircon, as soon as possible. We are talking maybe a BTU9000 for a small room, around Bt15 to 185000, shop around at your local Tesco Lotus, Marko, Big C, etc, you could even find a better deal. Good luck, go for it. A small price to pay for your little one.

i live in a house that is not completely closed. the electric is shared by everyone on the block, and the land lady won't allow it. I am going to borrow a portable one from a friend soon and try to conceal the hose that goes outside.

My boy is 6 months,i have taken and still take him to the beach,and i am teaching him to swim in our pool,

i see are from koh panghan,take the baby to the water [early morn and late afternoon if poss,not sleeping,,

i take him to our land alot near korat[no aircons ] when he sleeps we put him in a make shift hamock [towel]daytime,,,singlet,nappy,and a fan,he is happy,no mozies yet,but would be where u are,

and yes children in australia are taught by groups at pools to go under water, and they love if taught properly,

as bina said water not to cold and towel and rapt straight after,and NEVER take your eye of them.

also feed him alot of water.

cat

i live in a house with no aircon and it is coming into the hot season and I am already drenched in sweat while writing this message. What can I do for my newborn to keep him cool? My mother-in-law thinks that wrapping him in blankets will keep him cool but I am having trouble finding the logic in that.

it's easy.just buy a aircon