Which Is Worse?

realmadrid25

I pretty much buy original software all the time. But I just changed that.

I had paid several hundred dollars for my Adobe Photoshop. I upgraded it once, but have been happy with that version (7.0). Well, my PC got infected, and I had to reformat my hard drive and start anew. The problem was that I could not enter the authorization code on my Photoshop and get it to accept it. I called them, and after waiting for an hour, I was told that even though I had registered my copy, and even though they knew what code I should enter, they wouldn't give it to me since I had bought it over 3 years earlier. Of course, for a mere $299, I could upgrade to the newest and latest verion.

I refused, and as soon as I could, I went out and bought a pirated version. Sorry, but I tried to play by the rules, but they would not let me. Their loss, as far as I am concerned, and quite frankly, I am not having too many guilty pangs over my decision.

(And yes, I would still be upset if someone tried to overcharge me 20 baht, despite me buying pirated software.)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people who are decent with computers NEVER pay for dvd's anyways unless they want a nice boxset, like myself i only buy the TV show boxsets or some of the great movies special edition with very very nice packaging. Why?

Cinemas overcharge you, they make a fortune and stil charge you a lot of money just to sit there for 2hours.

Dvd's are overpriced, the profit margin is sick, 6$us for a dvd would still make them a fortune and for that price i would think about not downloading or buying off the street most of them.

theres still plenty of computer newbies to give money to the companies and they still make loads off tv broadcasts.

and as far as thai dvd sellers whats wrong with it? its actualy even better than downloading cause that way u put more money into their economy but i do try to avoid it when im not too lazy to download stuff because 100baht @ sukhumvit is kind of expensive for a 15baht dvd and 60baht at pantip where even the old movies are <deleted> bad quality sucks cause you never know what u get.

As far as whining about being overcharged, goto siam ocean world.

I had to pay like 1200baht and my girlfriend had to pay 650 or something.. after that, u never want to get ripped off by thais anymore.

Everytime i take a motorbike ride, i get overcharged compared to her.. very annoying its not about the money but its lack of <deleted> respect. i put a LOT of money in this econmy and get fuc_ked over for 20baht.. thats like hitting me in the balls. they love to laugh at you after in thai with their thai friends.

I do not buy pirate software or DVD's etc. because often in the supply chain of these items are some very organized,very dangerous criminal gangs and I do not want any of my money ending up in their pockets.

This is an interesting point, a choice made on the basis of the involvement of criminal gangs - It has its own set of compelling moral arguments and blatantly not restricted to Pirated goods, but also to drugs and prostitution.

Seems to be a new marketing ploy for the anti pirating firms to be telling people that the money from pirated goods ends up in terrorists hands. I think half of it is playing up to people's fear and hate of terrorism.

I've often thought these moral arguments, in particular with respect to drug usage and the criminality that drug usage supports ought to be made use of in encouraging young people not to get involved in drugs.

I used to know some uni students that would sit around smoking some nice afghani hash and talking about world peace. I used to tell them on a regular basis that their money was partly ending up with the Taliban and helping to oppress the Afghanistan people and perhaps to show their commitment to world peace they should hand over their hash to me, someone with far less concern about this.

They never did hand over that hash, and I bet they are still talking <deleted> about world peace to this day. :o

anyway, not even read the OP so maybe I am off topic already. :D

As far as whining about being overcharged, goto siam ocean world.

I had to pay like 1200baht and my girlfriend had to pay 650 or something.. after that, u never want to get ripped off by thais anymore.

It's 750 baht for adults now, why did you pay so much over the stated price?