Which Is Better Internet Conection

liberiosyah

Hi to all again,

I need to kwno which is ebtter 256kbps or 512 kbps i am setting up an internet cafe for 17 unit of pc's which 1 is better...mostly i would like my costomer to involves in online games and internet surfing using web cam...

Is the speed going to be ok...and there will be only 2 internet cafe in my area...so is it an advatage for my speed ???

Thank You

in theory the 512kbps is twice the speed of 256kbps. But if your planning on using True for your connection they cannot provide over 256kbps for a 512kbps or 3mbit conection for that matter :o

You're talking international bandwidth - he's talking online games - the two are most certainly NOT the same.

For online games - go for the higher bandwidth as you will be able to use it for connecting to game servers within Thailand.

Guest fj2003

as i know the way of installing technic here in thailand i would recommend 256 kbps more is mostly impossible as long u don't use your own satelit reciever for sending you need to use thai way of installing wire for the normal phone net

and this is awful

last week a technician of true came to our house to set up a new phone line and a splitter for the adsl connection and i had to explain him how to installit in the right way so that it works

i have some expirience of my army time in germany 15 yearrs ago this was helpful to do it

but anyway here u will find everywhere wires which are just turned together with a bit of scotchtape so how this can work proper for more if even a rain is right to crack down the hole soi to connect

but mai pen rai thai style the tech was happy to learn something and ask me not to go for training his boss otherwise he would loos his job

to set up proper connection you will need to work over your hole soi with screwing wire ports to avoid bad transfer power by oxidation of the material they use here or u will be the first who is setting up fiberglas wire

just have a look into your house electicity and you will understand more

as i know the way of installing technic here in thailand i would recommend 256 kbps more is mostly impossible as long u don't use your own satelit reciever for sending you need to use thai way of installing wire for the normal phone net

and this is awful

You must have a very bad phone line (and ADSL doesn't work on glass fibre connections).

Looking at my router just now - I've got a downlink speed (i.e. connection from the exchange - not necessarily the rate to any actual sites of course), of 2,368Kbits per second.

Bkk are you using ADSL ?

I think you mean 236kbits/second on the download.

I would be interested to know what your upload speed is and if you have used it for voice.

I am using IPSTAR satelite which is ok for normal data transactions but blows on the upload for voice. I dont have ADSL yet available but it's supposed to be coming soon.

Bkk are you using ADSL ?

I think you mean 236kbits/second on the download.

I would be interested to know what your upload speed is and if you have used it for voice.

I am using IPSTAR satelite which is ok for normal data transactions but blows on the upload for voice. I dont have ADSL yet available but it's supposed to be coming soon.

Yes - I'm using ADSL (True).

And I mean 2,368Kbits/sec download - i.e. 2.3Mbits/sec

Upload speed (from the connection info) is 640Kbits/sec

However, that is just the speed of the ADSL link. - Accessing international web sites is a different matter entirely... - downloads from the US are quite a bit faster on my 512Kbits ADSL in my place in London. (i.e. Thailand's international bandwidth is pretty bad, and can't cope with the number of people signing up for cheap ADSL. Whoever runs CAT should have been spending less on marble for their office buildings, and more on getting fibre laid, linking Thailand to other countries)

I use it for talking to the UK (US occasionally) with webcams mostly, but there is a latency issue at this end. i.e. My brother in the UK gets faster returns from pings to the Asianet (True) servers than I get, so True's ADSL network doesn't appear to be particularly well set up (or there's something else at this end causing the latency issues - i.e. I know all Thai ISPs have to check the IP address you're accessing against a government block list - that sort of thing could cause this sort of latency issue if it's done badly...).

So - when talking there is a lag involved (and, of course, if the person on the other end isn't using headphones, an echo also). But I'm a computer programmer, and I telecommute to a job in the UK - so I have the ADSL connection anyway. Similarly the people I'm talking to in the UK/US also had broadband already (so that the effective cost of the webcam calls is free. And I'm not using it for business calls - just talking to friends/family - where the lag isn't a big issue). Also, as I'm generally talking to them in the evening (their time), it's in the period (after midnight Thai time) where the ADSL international speed is quite usable

IPStar, being a satellite connection, will always have similar (possibly worse) latency issues, simply because of the lag involved in sending a signal to a satellite, even if it is at the speed of light, it's a noticeable delay.

BKK

Thanks mate for taking the time to explain your experience, and my apologies for correcting you on speed. Your doing better than E1. I also telecommute as a Network/IT PM in Asia-Pac China,India,PHP mostly and have an IP softphone which connects directly to a PBX in the US, but is useless with IPSTAR. Your right on about Thailands lack of bandwidth at the tier 2 level ISP's, where they probably peer with Singapore and HK. When I travel to places like India or China and connect to the net in the hotels I stay at, I am able to make crystal clear phone calls, no delay, no jitter. With your info I believe DSL will not help me on the voice issue here, as I spend upwards of 10 hours a week on business con-calls to the US. The one good thing is the current 7BHT/Minute E-phone rate to the US which provides acceptable quality without that much expense to the company.

Cheers

DMAN

So - when talking there is a lag involved (and, of course, if the person on the other end isn't using headphones, an echo also).

You probably are not using PP technology . I use skype http://www.skype.com

from europe to 32kbs dial up in bkk without any delays , as long as there is no surfing going on at the other end.

As to the different ping times, the routing can be different dependant on the direction of the packets.

From sweden i generally am routed to US then on to Australia before entering CAT's international gateway !

So - when talking there is a lag involved (and, of course, if the person on the other end isn't using headphones, an echo also).

You probably are not using PP technology . I use skype http://www.skype.com

from europe to 32kbs dial up in bkk without any delays , as long as there is no surfing going on at the other end.

As to the different ping times, the routing can be different dependant on the direction of the packets.

From sweden i generally am routed to US then on to Australia before entering CAT's international gateway !

No - the service I'm using is peer-to-peer, but since it's linking via IP, any issues will be down to the routing...

Regardless of what route the packets are taking - for my brother to ping the Asianet servers from the UK, and get a faster response than me pinging them from Bangkok - says there's something wrong with the ADSL service here...

In Chiang Mai you can get 256, 512 and 1024 Kbps Internet via cable from True.

I am pretty pleased with this service so far (one month and counting, no initial problems) so I would recommend it to anyone else. When they installed the cable, I had a faster connection to True than they promised - 568 Kbps on a 512 line. Now the speed varies from around 200 - 550 Kbps.

To McAffee's testsite in the US, I have gotten speeds from 60 Kbps - 400 Kbps.

Hope that helps,

Meadish

hi'

my 2b here :D

the most important is the upload speed, so for an internet cafe don't go under 512,

under this the download speed will get down to a crawl :o

and at least 1024 if you can't get better, but if you can have 3mb go for it, just maje sure that you have at least 512 on upload :D (1mb is better but it might be a bit more expensive)

cheers

francois

ps; I have 2048/350 largely enough, but on bittorrent, I limit the download to 3 files at the same time ... to get a proper speed :D

In Chiang Mai you can get 256, 512 and 1024 Kbps Internet via cable from True.

I am pretty pleased with this service so far (one month and counting, no initial problems) so I would recommend it to anyone else. When they installed the cable, I had a faster connection to True than they promised - 568 Kbps on a 512 line. Now the speed varies from around 200 - 550 Kbps.

To McAffee's testsite in the US, I have gotten speeds from 60 Kbps - 400 Kbps.

Hope that helps,

Meadish

I don't see any mention of cable internet on the True site.

Where is the True office in Chiang Mai?

Thanks.