Pc To Lcd Tv

2long

Got an LCD tv with a pc port (15 pin VGA?) in the back. Plugged the pc in and there's no picture. The instructions aren't much help. It's a Samsung.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

How much do you know about computers? Some of the problems Ive encountered is that when you define the second screen (for dual view), both of the screens must have the same resolution. So try right clicking the desktop, choose settings, right click on the grey box signed "2" and check "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor". Then put both resolutions to 800X600. If the tv is compatible, you should get a picture now. From there you can play around with the advanced settings if you want to clone or whatever.

Well, Ive spent many hours connecting various machines to TVs, and sometimes it takes hours to get the right settings. My advice to you is to get into the "Advanced"-settings panel and muck around a bit. It is supposed to be plug-and-play, but never is. Good luck :-)

I don't have much experience with this kind of thing but is the PC's graphics card configured to output any signal to the port? Was the regular monitor connected when you tried this? Is it a desk top or laptop and what OS is it running?

I'd guess that if you could provide a little more info you'll get some more useful replies. :o

Yes Cophen, I have gone through the sources and it doesn't have the pc on the list.

I'm running XP on a desktop. The lead works fine on the regular pc but nothing is available on the tv.

Most likely you're going to have to find out the resolution that your new LCD TV runs at (it is probably in the manual) and set up Windows to use that on your desktop BEFORE you hook up the TV.

That's based on the assumption that you have your desktop at greater than 1024x768 resolution or 1280x1024.

If on the other hand, your computer kills the signal when it loses a monitor (which if you leave your computer on and switch from your monitor to TV and back to monitor and you still have a signal means you can disregard this) to quote Bender: "You're boned".

How much do you know about computers? Some of the problems Ive encountered is that when you define the second screen (for dual view), both of the screens must have the same resolution. So try right clicking the desktop, choose settings, right click on the grey box signed "2" and check "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor". Then put both resolutions to 800X600. If the tv is compatible, you should get a picture now. From there you can play around with the advanced settings if you want to clone or whatever.

You don't need to send the same resolution to both monitors, unless you're displaying the same picture on both. (If you're simply extending your desktop, then it can be a different resolution).

What's more likely to be the problem is that a lot of LCD and Plasma TVs don't actually support their native resolution on the VGA feed.

Ideally your manual will tell you the resolutions to try, but barring that, they will usually give a picture with 1024x768 at 60Hz, or failing that 800x600 or 640x480. (I know the TV will be widescreen, so you'd expect to be able to use a resolution matching the LCD's native resolution, but unfortunately that's not actually all that common - and yes, it does mean you have rectangular pixels.)

If you give the model number of the TV, someone with the same model might be able to confirm what works.

S-video is a TV standard, so would restrict you to outputting at PAL resolutions. (i.e. OK for watching a movie from the PC, but even 640x480 on the VGA connector would be a better picture for text.)

Edited by bkk_mike

Yes Cophen, I have gone through the sources and it doesn't have the pc on the list.

This has to be a clue, both my LCDs have 'PC' and 'HDMI' on the list of inputs to choose :o

Which Samsung is it, maybe on online manual that we can look at.

Got an LCD tv with a pc port (15 pin VGA?) in the back. Plugged the pc in and there's no picture. The instructions aren't much help. It's a Samsung.

did you select the VGA input on the TV, or is it still set to "Line in" or "AV in" or something like that?

I can see a load of options on the source part of the on-screen menu. PC is one of them, but it's not highlighted. All the others are the same except for AV and TV. So I can see that's te possibility is there, but just can't scroll down to it becuase (I guess) it hasn't recognised a source.

I can see a load of options on the source part of the on-screen menu. PC is one of them, but it's not highlighted. All the others are the same except for AV and TV. So I can see that's te possibility is there, but just can't scroll down to it becuase (I guess) it hasn't recognised a source.

I suspect you're right and the telly isn't recognising what you're sending it.

Try powering everything off, power up the TV then the PC, with luck the PC will configure itself to the TVs requirements.

OR

Try setting to 1024x768 with your regular monitor connected, then plug in the telly and see if PC becomes available on the selector.

On the TV select Menu/Source List

If the TV is recognising the PC you should see the PC icon as bright

and you can select it.

If the TV is not seeing it, the icon will be greyed out.......

Try a different cable.

I had trouble connecting my PC to my Samsung until I got a decent VGA cable.

SVGA cable. See the photo. The Samsung will only highlight inputs that have live feeds plugged in. Once it sees the live feed it will tell you if the settings are wrong.

P

post-10698-1206996153.jpg

If anything plugged into Samsung, it will have it among "source" cycle on your remote. It should go thorugh AV1-AV2-Component1-Component2-PC-HDMI, that is if every socket has somethig plugged in, empty sockets won't show up at all, I just tested it on my Samsung. If PC input isn't even listed, your VGA connector isn't working properly, it shows on mine even if the other end is disconnected from the PC.

With a sick daughter and a busy schedule at work, I don't have time to muck around, but ALL of you guys have been more than helpful. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I haven't acted on the latest two posts prior to this.

My cable is 5m and cost 200B, so that might say something, although it DOES work on my regular monitor.

With a sick daughter and a busy schedule at work, I don't have time to muck around, but ALL of you guys have been more than helpful. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I haven't acted on the latest two posts prior to this.

My cable is 5m and cost 200B, so that might say something, although it DOES work on my regular monitor.

Do try what i suggested.