Thinkpad Z61m -

Shah Jahan

After over a year with this computer, I just figured out that it has pre-installed a Sierra Wireless EV-DO Card (bought in USA)

I haven't started to delve into it yet, but has anybody got a thinkpad configured with the CDMA network and SIM?

if so, was the process pretty simple, or did it require much cracking?

I would be more interested in HSPDA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSPDA ) than CDMA

3G has yet to be built.

but there is a great chance that this CAT CDMA could be shut off at somebodies whim since there are no customers.

I think the router in the Thinkpad would handle either???

if it lets me stream video barefoot in the jungle, it will work for me.

I'd just go to CAT telecom and ask them. You need to buy the SIM from them and get the contract with them anyway.

It might just not work considering CDMA and EV-DO are not standardized the way GSM is. I don't think they use SIMs at all in the USA for example. But who knows there might be another way to get the required info onto the card. I do know that Sprint sells a card that's pretty much the same as the one CAT is selling so you'd think these are compatible.

Edited by nikster

You face two challenges: figuring out if your model accommodates a SIM, and whether it is locked to Verizon. Certainly an odd feature to put on a big notebook?

Sierra Wireless UMTS cards MC8755 and MC8775 are locked and take a SIM.

Sierra Wireless EVDO cards MC5720 and MC5725 are un-locked but do not take a SIM.

My guess is that you will not be able to use the option with Hutch as there is no way to install a SIM.

What is the full model number? (look on the bottom of the unit)

Maybe Google the model number and take a look at the documentation?

go to CAT telecom office

790 THB/month - unlimited EVDO internet package

(except Bangkok and Pattaya)

doesn't matter if your device needs a sim card or not - CAT services both types of devices, it just shouldn't be locked to an american provider

if you live in Bangkok or Pattaya - try Hutch

go to CAT telecom office

790 THB/month - unlimited EVDO internet package

(except Bangkok and Pattaya)

doesn't matter if your device needs a sim card or not - CAT services both types of devices, it just shouldn't be locked to an american provider

Have you tried this? It would be really interesting if that worked - I didn't know CAT supports sim-less devices. Then again, the CAT USB modem that I have (bought at CAT) doesn't seem to have a SIM in it either.

I have the Motorola Q on CAD CDMA which is sim-less, I had a huawei with sim before on the same number

I had to send the motorola for repair for a week or so and they registered my number back to the sim card i had with the old huawei, so i could the huawei while the moto q was being repaired

so they can just attribute a telephone number to a sim card or a certain sim-less device

if your number is attached to a sim card you can use any other device which supports sim just insert the sim into a new handset or modem, if you need to switch between sim card and sim-less device or you want to use another sim-less device with the same number - you have to go to CAT office, takes a few minutes