Whos' Fault Is It If I Miss The Flight

Crossy

OK, flew BKK to BLR (Bangalore) last night, Air India (codeshare with Thai).

I had a confirmed itinerary and paper ticket both of which detail TG-325 / AI-6325 depart BKK 21:10

I rolled up at swampy my usual 2 1/2 hours before the flight (at about 18:45), no lines at check-in straight to the desk, nice lady checks me in no issues.

Then she says you need to hurry, the flight is boading at 19:10 !!!!!

Luckily there were no lines at immigration (has to be a first) and the liquids check went without a hitch, got to the gate at about 19:10.

Now I made the flight (we were delayed anyway, didn't actually depart until 20:45) but what would have happened if I'd arrived at check-in say, 1 1/2 hours before my ticketed departure and missed the flight?

Edited by Crossy

sounds like they had a schedule change and didnt advise you to me. these things are usually a permanent thing (i think) but i would have thougth that they would advise you - particularly as the flight left earlier than originally scheduled.

i usually call the day before and check the schedule anyway, just to be extra sure.

When I used to fly regularly I was generally on business (not business class) and I almost always contacted the airline to confirm the flight times. However, I always flew on a full price ticket (open return), so if I did manage to miss a flight, I'd just get on the next one.

To answer your question about who is responsible, I haven't a clue but under the circumstances that you outline, I would think that catching the next flight (depending upon availability), would be an option at no additional cost.

But, as had been said, TiT!

Since it a paper ticket sounds like you bought it from a travel agent which means the airline could debit them back for the cost (change fee) if they wanted to, unless it was a schedule change by the airline after ticketing. That said the airline would put you on their next flight. If the flight was the next day, then you would probably could get a hotel room out of them if you argue long enough.

Same with a ticket bought by the airline. They would be quicker though to take responsibilty. Years ago - international flights had to be reconfirmed before departure which would have caught any schedule changes.

Yep ^^^, it was bought from a travel agent in Delhi and DHL'd to me in BKK (that's why I'm getting Air India tickets, cheapskate company).

The schedules change around now, 19:25 ==> 21:10 so evidently a system somewhere is out of sync, I'm definately going to verify future flight times.

BTW anyone know when Air India is actually going to become an active member of Star Alliance so I can get my Royal Orchid miles?

EDIT It's taken dumbskull here all day to realise the word in the title should be "whose", duh!!!

Edited by Crossy

You might want to read this before flying to much Air India

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_india.htm

Luckily it's a code-share operated by Thai :o

AI have supposedly improved considerably over recent years (although from the horror stories on that link you'd not believe it) and bought out/merged with Indian Airlines last year, supposedly joining/ed Star Alliance.

That said, I try to fly Kingfisher on Indian domestic routes.

Edited by Crossy

I flew back to the UK in January with a ticket purchased in April, flying with Qatar who still require that you re-confirm.

As per their rules I did re-confirm but they failed to advise me that the flight time had also been brought forward by a similar time.

I made the flight by the skin of my teeth, though not a happy bunny, the check in staff were not at all bothered.

Flight change to earlier? Very odd - well under those circumstances without proper notifcation - I'd say it was the airline's fault.

NO, Ive worked in this type of business a long time ago, and the ISSUING AGENT is the one held responsible. If it was AirIndia at fault at the beginning og not informing agent- he has to pass on the charges.

As for joining STAR*** all: check the relevant branch of flyertalk.com. it seems they are now under some umbrella/contract of Lufthansa, the germans, who started *** anyway, together with SAS and THAI

• 6 months later...