Hans Christian Andersen or Anderson?

Ulysses G.

This guy is full of __it.

I visited Luang Prabang at this time of year a few years ago and the whole town was a big, grey cloud of smoke 24 hours a day. My eyes watered all of the time and I was coughing constantly.

If Chiang Mai was anything like that, I would understand all the whinging. :o

Why defend the undefendable, I can't speak for other countries bordering LOS, but a blind man on a galloping horse couldn't fail to see the fires all over CM. A while back a guy called Hans Christian Aderson wrote a story called 'The Emporer's new clothes' maybe you should read it.

Maybe you should read it again. Hans Christian Anderson wrote it and from looking at the title of the thread and the article in his first post, reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your forte'. :D

nokia Posted Today, 2008-04-01 08:09:10

Smog in northern air is Thai problem alone.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Both spellings seem to be correct:

HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN - HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON

Thanks to his fairy tales and stories, Hans Christian Andersen, 1805-75, is probably the most widely read author in the world today, but even in his own time he was read and known from Russia in the east to America in the west. His career from the lowest stratum of society in his native town of Odense in Funen via his problematic adaptation to the official and bourgeois circles in Copenhagen and further still until he became a familiar guest in the country mansions of Denmark, the palaces of kings and princes and the entire cultural stage of Europe provided him with material for many of his works and for no fewer than three autobiographies, the final version being Mit Livs Eventyr (1855, The Fairy Tale of My Life (with later supplements)). Modern editions of his correspondence and diaries have produced an unusually comprehensive insight into his life and his complex personality.

Andersen's fairy tales and stories (about 190 in all, written 1835-72) are addressed to both adults and children and are stylistically and thematically deeply original. In addition he wrote novels, travel accounts (he spent a large part of his life travelling abroad), poems and works for the theatre (including libretti for operas and ballad operas).

Although Andersen's work has its roots in Romanticism he is a modern spirit thanks to his social experience, his psychological insight, his belief in progress and industrial development. The special quality in his fairy tales is also precisely the combination of poetry, fantasy tale and everyday reality.

Johan de Mylius

http://www.fairytalescollection.com/Hans_Christian_Anderson/Index.htm

Both spellings seem to be correct:
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN - HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON

Thanks to his fairy tales and stories, Hans Christian Andersen, 1805-75, is probably the most widely read author in the world today, but even in his own time he was read and known from Russia in the east to America in the west. His career from the lowest stratum of society in his native town of Odense in Funen via his problematic adaptation to the official and bourgeois circles in Copenhagen and further still until he became a familiar guest in the country mansions of Denmark, the palaces of kings and princes and the entire cultural stage of Europe provided him with material for many of his works and for no fewer than three autobiographies, the final version being Mit Livs Eventyr (1855, The Fairy Tale of My Life (with later supplements)). Modern editions of his correspondence and diaries have produced an unusually comprehensive insight into his life and his complex personality.

Andersen's fairy tales and stories (about 190 in all, written 1835-72) are addressed to both adults and children and are stylistically and thematically deeply original. In addition he wrote novels, travel accounts (he spent a large part of his life travelling abroad), poems and works for the theatre (including libretti for operas and ballad operas).

Although Andersen's work has its roots in Romanticism he is a modern spirit thanks to his social experience, his psychological insight, his belief in progress and industrial development. The special quality in his fairy tales is also precisely the combination of poetry, fantasy tale and everyday reality.

Johan de Mylius

http://www.fairytalescollection.com/Hans_Christian_Anderson/Index.htm

Sorry, but no. There are however spelling errors all over the internet. This is it:

Andersen

At least, that's how he spelt it and how it is still done in his home town of Odense, Fyn, DENMARK.

/ Priceless

On Google, both spellings bring up the correct information with no reference to a "correct" spelling as it usually does when one is wrong.

Also, seems strange that this website actually lists both spellings if one is incorrect. :o

Sorry UG, I am completely sure.

What you found above is rather a reflection of that it is difficult to hear the vowel when the surname is pronounced in English, added to the fact that 'son' is the more well-known form of the Scandnavian patronyms (and seems more logical to native speakers of English because the spelling coincides with English 'son' unlike 'sen' which is the standard ending of Norwegian and Danish patronyms).

Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 1,910,000 for "hans christian andersen"

Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 248,000 for "hans christian anderson"

Wikipedia Danish: http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.C._Andersen (He was Danish. :o )

Encyclopaedia Britannica: http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9355303

MSN Encarta: http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761573..._Christian.html

In Nordic languages, the patronymic was formed by using the ending -son (later -sen in Danish and Norwegian) to indicate "son of", and -dotter (Icelandic -dóttir, Danish -datter) for "daughter of". In Iceland, patronymics are in fact compulsory by law, with a handful of exceptions ("Halldór Laxness" for example was the pen name of "Halldór Guðjónsson"). This name was generally used as a last name although a third name, a so-called byname based on location or personal characteristic was often added to differentiate people. The use of Scandinavian-style patronymics, particularly in its Danish variation with the ending -sen, was also widespread in northern Germany. This reflects the strong influence of Scandinavia in this part of Germany during the centuries.

Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronymic#Western_Europe

Biographies of Hans Christian Andersen have often claimed he was dyslexic, though a study titled "Hans Christian Andersen's Spelling and Syntax: Allegations of Specific Dyslexia Are Unfounded" disputes this :

" Abstract:A study of Hans Christian Andersen's diaries from age 20 to age 70 found that his mean error spelling percentages are equal to contemporaries, but between 2 and 15 times lower than individuals with dyslexia. A structural analysis indicates that the proportion of plausible/implausible errors match those of normal achievers. "

eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ617952&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ617952

Edited by sylviex

Smoke and fire:

I suppose bookshop owners who flame those that disagree about pollution should be careful when disputing the spelling of authors' names -- especially after they've been corrected by a Scandinavian linguist over a renowned Danish writer ... how do you spell wrong on all counts?

Smoke and fire:

I suppose bookshop owners who flame those that disagree about pollution should be careful when disputing the spelling of authors' names -- especially after they've been corrected by a Scandinavian linguist over a renowned Danish writer ... how do you spell wrong on all counts?

That's really uncanny. You took the very words out of my mouth.

Sorry UG, I am completely sure.

What you found above is rather a reflection of that it is difficult to hear the vowel when the surname is pronounced in English, added to the fact that 'son' is the more well-known form of the Scandnavian patronyms (and seems more logical to native speakers of English because the spelling coincides with English 'son' unlike 'sen' which is the standard ending of Norwegian and Danish patronyms).

Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 1,910,000 for "hans christian andersen"

Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 248,000 for "hans christian anderson"

Wikipedia Danish: http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.C._Andersen (He was Danish. :D )

Encyclopaedia Britannica: http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9355303

MSN Encarta: http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761573..._Christian.html

In Nordic languages, the patronymic was formed by using the ending -son (later -sen in Danish and Norwegian) to indicate "son of", and -dotter (Icelandic -dóttir, Danish -datter) for "daughter of". In Iceland, patronymics are in fact compulsory by law, with a handful of exceptions ("Halldór Laxness" for example was the pen name of "Halldór Guðjónsson"). This name was generally used as a last name although a third name, a so-called byname based on location or personal characteristic was often added to differentiate people. The use of Scandinavian-style patronymics, particularly in its Danish variation with the ending -sen, was also widespread in northern Germany. This reflects the strong influence of Scandinavia in this part of Germany during the centuries.

Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronymic#Western_Europe

I was once engaged to a Danish girl :D

She told me that surnames ending 'sen' are Danish. Those ending 'son' are Swedish. I am sure you as a Scandinavian can confirm this?

Anyway Hans Christian was certainly Danish, therefore for me Hans Christian AndersEn is the correct way :D

What does UG know about books anyway :o

Yikes.. This is really freaking dumm.

Who CARES ?!?

Should be spelt "dumb" :D

/ Priceless

Oh, YEAH ?!?

Check THIS out!

:D

Sorry, I have to confess to my ignorance of "rap English" and my dependence on the "Oxford Dictionary of English" :D

My sincere apologies :o:D:D

/ Priceless

Having closed the thread, poor UG is upset he could not get in the last word. He has strongly requested I post this on his behalf. :D

I already said that it looks like I and Google and much of the Internet are spelling his name incorrectly.

I spell-checked his full name several times and it kept coming out as correct and it is spelled that way all over the place and many sites list both spellings, but what does much of the Internet know compared to the illustrious posters on Thai Visa? :o