Business Class Internet Connection - Providers, Where?

malcolmswaine

Hi all :o

I am looking at moving to Phuket, but having a decent business class internet connection is really a must for me. Can anyone advise me on providers that offer services for Phuket and where those services might be available. I'm not after a leased line, but I can fork out about 5,000 a month for something with relatively low contention.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Malc

Hi Malc

Good luck, i am still waiting 6 months for my interent connection!!! I am forced to use an aircard while i wait.

TOT provide the best line., but are a nightmare to deal with and are very slow...

There is another provider, but they have stopped giving out lines ( The sandwich Shopee in nr Laguna having the fastest interent i know! )

Hi Malc

Good luck, i am still waiting 6 months for my interent connection!!! I am forced to use an aircard while i wait.

TOT provide the best line., but are a nightmare to deal with and are very slow...

There is another provider, but they have stopped giving out lines ( The sandwich Shopee in nr Laguna having the fastest interent i know! )

By aircard, I presume you mean, wireless, wifi.

How much per month does it cost, and G_Byte allowance?

The Muang District in the south is mostly served by TT&T - I was lucky and got a good SME package from them.

The Talang district in the north is served exclusively by TOT who, IMHO, are worse than useless, ever their business package was giving me 50k if I was lucky. I ended up having to get a leased line for 8k THB.

Kathu district I don't know

Good luck - and really a lot does seem to be about luck with Phuket ISPs

The Muang District in the south is mostly served by TT&T - I was lucky and got a good SME package from them.

The Talang district in the north is served exclusively by TOT who, IMHO, are worse than useless, ever their business package was giving me 50k if I was lucky. I ended up having to get a leased line for 8k THB.

Kathu district I don't know

Good luck - and really a lot does seem to be about luck with Phuket ISPs

Thanks Ade100, thats very useful to know.

I am looking at moving to Phuket, but having a decent business class internet connection is really a must for me. Can anyone advise me on providers that offer services for Phuket and where those services might be available. I'm not after a leased line, but I can fork out about 5,000 a month for something with relatively low contention.

Malc

I'm in Kathu and have TT&TMaxNet 1512/768 adsl and it is actually pretty good. On a speedtest it is usually around 1200/500 and the reliability for the last year has been excellent.

One thing is that in this area I don't think many people have computers so MaxNet haven't had the chance to divide up the local link between many customers. Hopefully it'll stay that way for a while :D

Malc

I need Internet 24x7 in Phuket or I would be cooked, and your best bet by far - and well within your budget - is to get both an ADSL line (up to you to figure out which is the best for the area you will be living in) and an EVDO wireless card from CAT. In Thailand, redundancy is the key. If your electricity goes out you are screwed for ADSL but if you have an EVDO card, you have a connection as long as your laptop battery lasts. And you can move around the island effortlessly and other parts of Thailand with the EVDO card (you can get lots more info googling this subject).

You have more backup alternatives: the phone landline companies have free modem service, and there are lots of Internet cafes around ( I trust only very few like Woody's sandwich shops and Steve's Crow's Nest on Soi Seadragon). I totally advocate having as many backup choices as possible.

Having an Internet connection in Phuket is like doing backup - you won't realize the importance of it until your main mode of communication craps out and you are royally screwed.

I recommend this service as well.

Specifically, ask for the following customer service rep, and tell him his friend from Isaan also sent you.

Vitoon Mahavangsavash (Aong)

Customer Service Support

Island Technology Co., Ltd.

Tel : (66) 76 322 095-7

Fax : (66) 76 322 098

Mobile : (66) 89 216 6555

Malc

I need Internet 24x7 in Phuket or I would be cooked, and your best bet by far - and well within your budget - is to get both an ADSL line (up to you to figure out which is the best for the area you will be living in) and an EVDO wireless card from CAT. In Thailand, redundancy is the key. If your electricity goes out you are screwed for ADSL but if you have an EVDO card, you have a connection as long as your laptop battery lasts. And you can move around the island effortlessly and other parts of Thailand with the EVDO card (you can get lots more info googling this subject).

You have more backup alternatives: the phone landline companies have free modem service, and there are lots of Internet cafes around ( I trust only very few like Woody's sandwich shops and Steve's Crow's Nest on Soi Seadragon). I totally advocate having as many backup choices as possible.

Having an Internet connection in Phuket is like doing backup - you won't realize the importance of it until your main mode of communication craps out and you are royally screwed.

My buddy has his setup with (I think) 3 adsl lines, one of which is the superb CAT one and I think the wireless setup too.. All topped off with load balancing routers so any drops are transparent to him.