Driving Licence

iainiain101

I am aware that there is a special thread for driving licences, but I have read that and it seems that all offices in Thailand have different requirements/standards. This is a question specifically aimed at Chiang Mai.

I read the article in the Chiang Mai Mail 'A Licence to ... Drive' (page 11, 12th Feb 2008), and decided to give it a go today.... Unfortunately 'fell at the first hurdle'!

The article explains that amongst the fairly extensive paperwork needed, the first thing required is a certificate of residency available at immigration office at a cost of 300 Baht. On arrival at the immigration office I was told they had not issued these since last year and that I would need to go to my embassy or consulate for one. (UK consulate charge 2210 Baht for the service)

The question, is the article out of date or was I just 'unlucky' at the immigration office?

I am aware that in the past the residency certificate requirement has not been enforced, but it does now seem to be.

Thanks

Iain

The article explains that amongst the fairly extensive paperwork needed, the first thing required is a certificate of residency available at immigration office at a cost of 300 Baht. On arrival at the immigration office I was told they had not issued these since last year and that I would need to go to my embassy or consulate for one. (UK consulate charge 2210 Baht for the

I this province (Surin), the "certificate of residency" is required for both the driving licence and for car ownership (same form, slightly differently filled in). The certificate is issued free of charge (but it's of benefit to tip (Bht100.00)) but you will need paperwork to prove that you live where you say. The paperwork, I believe, differs with each immigration office, so it would be prudent to speak to them first.

Okay... here's what you need in full: (i got my licence recently, so this is up-to-date)

- certificate of residence OR work permit OR yellow residence book (+photocopies of relevant pages)

- passport (+copies of relevant pages)

- medical certificate (get done at any hospital)

- driving licence from home, if you have one (if not in english, it needs to be translated)

To be honest... not sure what type of visa you need... don't think you can get a licence on a tourist visa or 30 day, but not sure...

Does anyone know how much the American Consulate charge for this?

I've been tempted to just blow off getting the license ( my neighbor, from NC said he has never got one and he's been here 9 years, "too much of a hassle" he says..)

I've been tempted to just blow off getting the license ( my neighbor, from NC said he has never got one and he's been here 9 years, "too much of a hassle" he says..)

Do you always advocate breaking the law? You would never think of doing this in your own country, so why do it here? You only have to have one accident without being in posession of a Thai licence; and the associated vehicle insurance becomes null and void. Consequently you could be up for tens of thousands of baht....Grow up and respect the law of the land :o

C'mon, c'mon . . . go for the yellow residence book!

Do you always advocate breaking the law? You would never think of doing this in your own country, so why do it here? ....Grow up and respect the law of the land :o

Must say, MM, you're doing a real number on my impression of you. There I was thinking that you broke the law on an almost daily basis! :D

Havin' a bad day are we??? :o

I said "tempted" not that I was...

Just a regular day :D OK so you weren't, tempted and one now presumes that you are the proud bearer of a lovely new Thai driving licence, or did it go in the "too hard" basket?

Havin' a bad day are we??? :o

I said "tempted" not that I was...

Just a regular day :D OK so you weren't, tempted and one now presumes that you are the proud bearer of a lovely new Thai driving licence, or did it go in the "too hard" basket?

yep.

nope.

Feel better?

just posted this in the drivers license faq:

usa citizen on tourist visa

today got first, 1 year, thai auto license.

they say they will accept a thai immigration proof of residence. thai immigration says they no longer issue this. so the embassy/consulate is the only option.

this, for me, was a simple sworn statement with no evidence required. cost $30 and about 30 minutes.

got the medical at a local clinic., cost 30 baht and about 5 minutes. they know what you need.

i was able to do the whole process myself with virtually zero thai language skills. go upstairs to the big information counter to begin, (they speak english there), and follow the pointing fingers thereafter. no problem.

cost me 205 baht. 105 plus another 100 'tax?'. about 1 -2 hours start to finish with lunch in between. near tesco and big c so was able to kill time easy.

had standard usa license from california. passport, medical and residence forms. make copies before hand but if you don't there is a copy place downstairs.

they did the pictures there and created the license while i waited.

take a book to read as the wait will be boring.

simple visual tests were taken. no written. no driving.

all in all, if you have a need or desire do it. it is easy.

Thanks all. Paid the consulate fee, went back today and got the license in about an hour.

As pointed out above, photos are no longer needed (they do it as part of the new credit card license).

Fair play to the guy who is still managing to sell people pictures downstairs in the license office!

Anyone know about handicapped license plates? When I went to get my drivers license they gave me a hard time and the"once over" several times because of my severe limp...two bad knees needing replaced long overdue.They must have something along the lines of handicapped stickers or something because at Rimping (Limping for me) at Mee chok plaza they have a handicap space...even has fresh paint

just posted this in the drivers license faq:

usa citizen on tourist visa

today got first, 1 year, thai auto license.

On a tourist visa? That's interesting, the Chiang Mai motor vehicles office has always been firm about driver's license applicants possessing a non-immigrant visa in the past. Or at least that's been my experience.

On a tourist visa? That's interesting, the Chiang Mai motor vehicles office has always been firm about driver's license applicants possessing a non-immigrant visa in the past. Or at least that's been my experience.

That has to be a first. Maybe the goal posts are on the move again, but I have always found they usually move in the wrong direction :o Nice one Altman.

That has to be a first. Maybe the goal posts are on the move again, but I have always found they usually move in the wrong direction :o Nice one Altman.

the info sheet they hand out explaining what is required actually says that a tourist visa is acceptable. and so it was.

• 2 months later...
Legally you need an International Drivers license to drive in Thailand. People do seem to 'get away with' using a UK license.

Iain

Surely that would be the best route. Get International Licence one Fee and lasts for 10 years ? Not sure on that

But can apply for it at post office in the Uk simple form, and all done dont have to jump thro hoops.

You only have to have one accident without being in posession of a Thai licence; and the associated vehicle insurance becomes null and void. Consequently you could be up for tens of thousands of baht....Grow up and respect the law of the land :D

Does this apply to Thais too? :o

Legally you need an International Drivers license to drive in Thailand. People do seem to 'get away with' using a UK license.

Iain

I was under the impression that an International licence is only acceptable for 12 months. Then you must get a Thai licence - or,presumably, leave the country for a short while, and get another year's grace.

Is it possible that the BiB are so dumb that they wouldn't know an International and/or UK licence from a Christening certificate?