Apex Hotel Raises Its Prices A Whopping 20%

BugJackBaron

After reading this tread, I find most replies are from european frang, my gawd, talk about cheap charlies. the amercan dollars has fallen so badly, but I love the LOS and will pay what is needed. Come on you cheap basxxds.. STOP your whinning..

Well I am Canadian but paid in Korean won..That doesn't change the fact, as mentioned

by the person before you, that salaries have not gone up for many farang. If this place

becomes as expensive as Phuket then that will be it for many.

Cambodia anyone?

After reading this tread, I find most replies are from european frang, my gawd, talk about cheap charlies. the amercan dollars has fallen so badly, but I love the LOS and will pay what is needed. Come on you cheap basxxds.. STOP your whinning..

Compared to Farangland, Pattaya is cheap for most things but you still need to keep prices in context with where you are, not where you have come from.

Pattaya prices will continue to rise as long as tourist continue to pay them and before you know it, Pattaya will no longer be the destination for a cheap holiday.

QUOTE (eljeque @ 2008-04-03 20:56:19)

so an increase of 77% over 16 years or 7.3% inflation rate.

I make that more like a 3.6% inflation rate.

whoops..... I used only 8 years,

"" Nah, comparing with that stupid currency, the USD one baht is exactly one baht, no more no less.""

As the poster was bringing foreign curency here to exchange into Baht, it makes perfect sense to use a foreign currency value to estimate the rise in the price.

I visited a friend staying in a "budget" room about a year ago, and it was TINY...and dark, and moldy ..... and smelly....but he didn't mind because he's a Yorkshireman any problems were invisible as he was bedazzled by the frugality of the place.

• 1 month later...
Wow, a whopping 100 Baht more per night!!

A 100 baht increase for a dump is a lot of money.

The answer is quite simple, dont stay there..... cheap charlies usually get what they pay for, 100baht dont cover the cost of a half pint of beer in europe, how the hel_l do cheap charlies manage to survive back in thier own countries?

Roy :o

It's not a matter of being a 'cheap charlie', it's all about getting value for your $$$'s.

There are a multitude of Pattaya hotels in the same price range as the Apex. In my opinion, the Apex is on the bottom half of the list.

Every tourist has their personal needs as far as hotel accommodation is concerned. For me, the Apex doesn't rate a mention.

Regular visitors who like to walk all around Pattaya would check out most of the hotels on offer. By doing so, they are better able to compare one hotel to another and make an informed decision of where to stay and at what price.

Some of those people who currently stay at the Apex and who are faced with a 100 baht per night increase, may now think it's time to move to the next hotel on their list where they can once again get most of the things that the Apex offered, but at a cheaper daily rate.

There's a big difference between being a Cheap Charlie and being thrifty.

I visited a friend staying in a "budget" room about a year ago, and it was TINY...and dark, and moldy ..... and smelly....

I've never had a room like that there - more like slightly run down. My complaints are more about the noice from the bars next door and some of the staff are not very nice.

There's a big difference between being a Cheap Charlie and being thrifty.

A big difference but a fine line, if that's not a contradiction?! :o

:D

Look at it this way, the Apex raises its rate from 500 baht to 600 baht. Money wise, that's not a huge increase. Percentage wise that's a 20% increase.

If you can get another hotel in the same location that has all the comforts that you enjoyed at the Apex but, that was only charging 500 baht per night, why wouldn't you move?

For a four week holiday, that represents a saving of 2800 baht or, in comparison to the new rates being charged by the Apex, just over 5 nights accommodation free of charge.

Maybe I should have written the word "smart" in stead of "thrifty." :D

Pattaya must be one of the cheapest and best value for money places I've stayed. Yes, in percentage terms that might be a big increase but in real terms the 2800 baht saved could be earnt in a few hours work back in the West.

Good 3 star accomodation for around a 1000 baht, beer for 70, women cheap as...I certainly won't stop going there.

I think that it is sad that visitors to Thailand are so unconcerned about the pricing of such things as hotle rooms...it leads to gouging and rip-offs, it doesn't help the economy, it's just inflationary. If they were more critical about the value for money they got, they would find that on returning the prices have not jumped another 20%......if you put that onto the total cost of your holiday you will indeed find it takes more than a days work to catch up.

Pattaya must be one of the cheapest and best value for money places I've stayed. Yes, in percentage terms that might be a big increase but in real terms the 2800 baht saved could be earnt in a few hours work back in the West.

Good 3 star accomodation for around a 1000 baht, beer for 70, women cheap as...I certainly won't stop going there.

True but not all of us have jobs to go back to in the West . Some are retired here. Some

want to work. And yes I decided that Apex is a bit of a dump. Four years ago

it was about 400 baht per night or 10 bucks american. For a LOW budget hotel its

quite a deal. But now at about 20 bucks a night it is dubious. Problem is it is

still (1) convenient. Next to Shopping, central location. But that may not matter to some.

(2) has a pool. None of the ot6hers mentioned - like Queen Victoria - have that though

their rooms are easily better.

(3) Has a Buffet. I have mixed feeling it about this. It's convenient but the food

isn't THAT great. Nowhere near as good as the sophisticated buffets of Bangkok(none in Pattaya are)

So except for (2) there is not that much left to recommend.

Anyway I have moved to Jomtien Long-stay. It's another semi-dump but at 5500 a month

with a pool, well by gawd the price is right..

Pattaya may not always to be "one of the cheapest and best value for money places" with thinking like yours.

Prices will rise if people continue to pay. With regard to hotels raising their rates, managers will increase their prices until such time that they notice more and more of their rooms remaining vacant.

Obviously, with increased costs in the hotel industry, rate rises are inevitable. The question remains, is an overnight 20% increase in rates genuinely justified? My uneducated guess would be, NO.

Thailand is still a developing country and that's why it is an attractive and cheap holiday destination. Prices in LOS can remain low but only if tourists with bulging wallets use their brain before eagerly paying for anything.

Pattaya may not always to be "one of the cheapest and best value for money places" with thinking like yours.

Prices will rise if people continue to pay. With regard to hotels raising their rates, managers will increase their prices until such time that they notice more and more of their rooms remaining vacant.

Obviously, with increased costs in the hotel industry, rate rises are inevitable. The question remains, is an overnight 20% increase in rates genuinely justified? My uneducated guess would be, NO.

Thailand is still a developing country and that's why it is an attractive and cheap holiday destination. Prices in LOS can remain low but only if tourists with bulging wallets use their brain before eagerly paying for anything.

I'm not one of the free spending tourists who leave extortionate tips where ever they go, so don't feel my attitude or actions are contributing to these price increases. I usually stay at the Areca, who have raised their prices over the last couple of years, but that still represents excellent value for money in terms of what you get there. I eat at the Thai places in Pattaya Glang, pay the girls what they are due and feel like I'm getting a good deal.

If you don't feel you're getting value for money, simply move somewhere else or move on as you have eluded to above.

I fairness to BJB.

100B may not affect some, but the impact of ever increasing costs (accommodation, food, health, fuel, travel, family) can have a psychological impact on many of us.

I'd prefer to observe and appreciate others situations rather than be critical.

We all come from different socio/economic backgrounds and our view about the cost of things can often by coloured by our own personal status and experience.

At the end of the day, the cost of living conspires to restrict the lifestyle, desires and dreams of many of us.

I don't begrudge the validity of increased prices, but I also understand how this can impact many of us.

There's a lot of new construction currently occurring in and around Pattaya at the moment.

Maybe this will have a downward affect on pricing due to competition!

:o

Edited by rockyysdt

after about 6 years of spending about 7+ months a year in my place manager raised my rent- it has been a nice run... id pop in and stay a few months and then go somewhere in asia or go to states never spending more than 3-4 mos at a go. i was paying 5000 for years -and it was a sweet deal (all mod cons). he raised the rent on me 20% and raised the electric 15%.

apex - is run down. its 'worth' b500 mainly for the cell itself and the location

but sawasdee on s.b. has raised its rates yet again and a few moths ago it was indeed 900.

they are the sucker places ... there are far better places and many of them less spendy but pattaya is getting more expensive

Edited by luumak

Well said Wilco, I think you might be right.

Anyway all prices are going up here, food going up 10-20% all over the line, thai, farang, junkfood, room prices going up, exchange rate to most western economies going down, the western world in recession with deflation, bottom line is that Thailand is getting a LOT more expensive for westeners and there is no way that is not going to have an impact on tourist figures.

Not that I think anyone cares yet, but it may come and then we will probably see even further increased prices to try to keep income up with decreased visitors.

Prices are going up all over the world and Thailand is still a great deal.

I predict that next tourist season, Thailand will benifit by getting an influx of cost consious middle-class consumers who can't afford more expensive countries.

Edited by Ulysses G.

By all common definitions Thailand is a developing country....and the more it develops the more it's prices will come into line with the developed world.

look at any cheap destination and eventually it gets dearer.....it has to; short of an economic disaster ....or a coup...Thailand's prices will get inexorably higher.

I think the Apex though should be judged on it's own merits.....

Prices are going up all over the world and Thailand is still a great deal.

Of course. Wake up and smell the cost-per-barrel of oil.

I caught myself recently complaining that my favorite 4-star hotel in BKK went suddenly from 1200B to 1800B overnight (corporate rates). That's a 50% increase. Wasn't so bad when I was reminded that this still only works out to about $56US for a downtown hotel with fitness center, swimming pool, etc. You can't touch that for $150+ in most western capitol cities.

Keeping a world-perspective will help you to keep your personal perspective in check.

Edited by toptuan

They're probably just trying to keep their figures up in the face of falling profits as customers go elsewhere.

This is Thai mentality. Business drops off, raise all the prices to compensate. :o

It happens in the beer bars too. Serve warm beer, customers go elsewhere, raise the price of beer to compensate, more customers drop off, raise the prices more and charge to use the toilet, more customers drop off, double all prices, pad the bin and short change the one, remaining regular customer.........