Makro Kk

micksterbs

A Thai friend, the other day, described Makro as a place that I ought to shop in as it has food that he reckoned I'd be interested in. I've never been there although I've driven past it many times. I always thought that it was a wholesale outfit geared towards "Mom-and-Pop" stores. Is there a retail side too? Does it, in fact, have anything inside that I'd be unable to find in Tesco Lotus? Is it any cheaper?

Thanks for any info. :o

I enjoy shopping at Makro, It is very much like Sam's Club and Costco in the States. Some items are bulk but many are not.

In Burriam there are three main Store and the price on certain things are different in each as a rule I do not shop prices but I am amazed at the difference between Makro, Big C and twickets here.

Makro has a excellent selection of cheese, mostly in BIG packs of a couple KG so if u have a friend buy and split or like me buy and freeze.

Do try the store. IMHO

I enjoy shopping at Makro, It is very much like Sam's Club and Costco in the States. Some items are bulk but many are not.

In Burriam there are three main Store and the price on certain things are different in each as a rule I do not shop prices but I am amazed at the difference between Makro, Big C and twickets here.

Makro has a excellent selection of cheese, mostly in BIG packs of a couple KG so if u have a friend buy and split or like me buy and freeze.

Do try the store. IMHO

Yeah? Hey, I'd go there just for that! :D If there's one food-item I really miss (actually, there are loads :o ), it's decent cheese. Tesco has a selection of processed tat and, just occasionally, some half-decent Cheddar which comes from the Philippines, believe it or not. But I'll have a gander this weekend. Cheers, Ron. :D

Easy to stop off on your way to the U turn for Tesco. Some things it is good for - others less so. I liked the meter long stick of cinnamon in a barrel, didn't rate the fish much - better in KK market. Need a card - but can be sorted out on the spot if you talk with them, a farang face ensures no hassles.

Just go in and take a look. It's worth the effort.

You will find many things that you can not find in Big C or Lotus like meat (ham, fish) or cheese. It is rather for (farang) restaurants or (thai) resellers. So you will find a 20kg fish, a 1 kg Parmesan cheese, a gammon of a sheep in one chunk, 20 Cervelat sausages in one pack etc.

Some articles are in smaller packs too.

It may be an idea, to start a farang-Makro-buyers-syndicate to split up big packs.

Regards

Thedi

BTW: right beside Makro is 'pratu nam', a shopping complex for cloth which is also worth the effort to take a look. Maybe more for your wife while you look at farang foods in Makro.

A Thai shop owner i know has a card and he gets some reductions on the prices. But you can buy anything without a card (and without reseller discount) as well. It is still cheap.

Regards

Thedi

We think Makro is great. We drive over to Buri Ram about once every 4 to 6 weeks and stock up on bulk items like tissues, toilet paper, washing powder, soap, beer, soda water and the likes and get big savings compared with the individual item prices in Big C. My wife cooks excellent pizza and she buys a 2kg pack of Mozarella cheese at Makro for about 500 baht and that lasts for ages. Normal supermarket items like butter, bread, milk, cold meats, vegetables, fruit, jam, peanut butter, pork, chicken, fish, bacon etc can be purchased in single packs. The savings are substantial. For example a few weeks ago I bought a jar of Smuckers jam in Big C. It cost 108 baht!!!!. (I wanted to try this U beaut American stuff but what a rip off particularly when there are comparable local products for 25% of that price) Exactly the same item in Makro we noticed a couple of weeks later was 20 baht less.

Go for it. They are good value but as mentioned above you do need a membership card. They will do it at the reception desk as you go into the store while you wait or they will give you a temporary card and post the plastic out to you. The card can be used in any Makro store anywhere in Thailand.

Thanks, all! It wasn't until a card was mentioned that I realised that this must be the same Makro that we have in the UK; to be honest, the penny hadn't dropped. Not for the first time... :o I actually have a Makro UK card somewhere although I'd bet a pound to a penny that it means nothing here, almost certainly. The cards in the UK have to be obtained with a company name; I'm pretty sure you can't just wander in off the street and get one there.

Anyway, that's all acedemic. Thanks for the info and I'll certainly be paying them a visit and getting a card, etc. It'll be worth a visit just to see what they've got in stock. Now, all I need is a good bread-maker...

In Udon, Makro do a frozen bread roll pack of 12 called Just bake me, 180c in an oven for 5/10 mins, these are really excellent, crusty and tasty, also some very good New Zealand lamb joints, around 300bht a kilo, some lean bacon rashers which go well with the oven rolls, but the cheese is all NZ and in very big packs, 600/7/8 bht, very salty too, so if you dont like the first bit, youve lumbered!!I can disguise this with colemans mustard!!!!!

Mrs used to borrow a card from another customer, much to my embarresment, but now she has her own card after showing her buisness papers,

I know someone in Buriram who bought some electrical goods from mackro in Surin, a television, he got it home and was lifeless, not working so he took it back, they exchanged on the spot, you try taking something back to a shop in thailand for a refund or faulty, non existant, no after sales service, but fair play to macro, no questions asked.