Reporting Someone For Working Illegally

Should I, shouldn't I?...

I work here legally, I pay my social security, I pay my taxes. I paid for setting my company up so I can work and stay here legally.

Why should people get away with working here illegally?...

What would happen to them?... I guess I'm concerned that reporting someone could ruin their life, if they're shipped off back to their own country and not allowed to return to Thailand.

Any thoughts welcome!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are gonna report someone then you have to live with what may happen to them as a result of that. Authorities have a policy, usualy deportation after some time in jail, maybe a fine but most likely black listed & deported. Thats has been what has happened to people I personally know who have been caught without wp's, except of course time share people!!!

I work here legally, I pay my social security, I pay my taxes. I paid for setting my company up so I can work and stay here legally.

What would happen to them?... I guess I'm concerned that reporting someone could ruin their life, if they're shipped off back to their own country and not allowed to return to Thailand.

Any thoughts welcome!

Why make enemies when you don't have to?...especially here where life is cheap. Besides, don't take this the wrong way, but I am willing to bet your company is not strictly legal....so neither is your work permit. Speaking of bad karma.

It sounds to me like a very sneaky and underhand move. Spying on other people's business isn't really a healthy occupation unless you are being paid for it. Not many people really respect a snitch. I certainly wouldn't trust one.

Its only usually a matter of money here, so once the arrest has been made then whoever it is can then pay to be let off the hook. Would you trust your statement to remain confidential by the very people who then allow the "criminal" to pay his/her way out?

Pay it no mind at all, and get on with your own happy life :o "for there will always be lesser and greater people than yourself"....

Rather strange attitude here of "leave him/her be" when compared with the high and mighty "blacklist the b@st@d" when it comes to visa overstays.

A bit like the difference in attitudes in the UK towards tax evasion versus benefit fraud.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Personally, unless the individual is impacting directly on you or your business I'd turn a blind eye provided whatever they were engaged is is not itself illegal.

Any thoughts welcome!

Grass, snide, snitch, stool pigeon, snake etc etc. Choose your handle. A slow torturous demise is fair retribution for a grass.

i feel like people should be able to work to survive wherever they are in the world. but i suppose that's a bit idealistic. still, not your business. let people do it their own way. the thais definitely do!

If you are gonna report someone then you have to live with what may happen to them as a result of that. Authorities have a policy, usualy deportation after some time in jail, maybe a fine but most likely black listed & deported. Thats has been what has happened to people I personally know who have been caught without wp's, except of course time share people!!!

Hi Boo, what's with the time share mugs,? How can they go free without a work permit, besides tea money????????????

PS; Hate the bloody leeches! :o

Please answer since I/we really would like to know.

Thanks Boo

Jens

No idea myself samuijens just know for a fact that when it all started up 5odd years ago many of them were picked up for not having wps or even the right visas but were miraculously out on the streets doing the same the very next day. :o I hear these days that wp are provided but I just can't beleive that they all have one as there are so many of them from the various places offering this kind of thing now.

Any thoughts welcome!

Grass, snide, snitch, stool pigeon, snake etc etc. Choose your handle. A slow torturous demise is fair retribution for a grass.

Whereas I agree with you it is only up to a point. Define the level of illegal activity at you would cease to so define anyone reporting the act.

I do think that reporting someone for working without a wp is a bit over the top but it is against the laws of the country however corrupt that country may be. If we turn a blind eye to that then what about gambling? What about smuggling liquor and cigarettes? Pretty soon you are down to illegal drugs, human trafficing and worse. The problem with moving the line is how far you move it, a dilemma for all of us.

Go for it, but youll have to quit your job because there's tens of thousands more ahead of you in your crusade and you simply wont have the time to do anything but run around finding more just like him/her

Edited by OxfordWill

No idea myself samuijens just know for a fact that when it all started up 5odd years ago many of them were picked up for not having wps or even the right visas but were miraculously out on the streets doing the same the very next day. :D I hear these days that wp are provided but I just can't beleive that they all have one as there are so many of them from the various places offering this kind of thing now.

:D WOW, that's what I call service, BUT is there others out there that can answer my question???? I thank you, for all answers and sorry for taking this a bit off-topic or whatever. :o Important to know the answer about Time Share Ppl!

seventeen years ago i worked without the correct paperwork. I was young and worked for a very low existence salary. All I did was look after a small bar and diner, no girls, hassles etc. The owner was out of the country and just wanted someone to watch his investment. I stood on no ones toes had no probs with the BIB, I was content.

I had a great GF and lived happily with her father, brother and 4 sisters. As I said my salary just aloud me to exist in a simple way vey much Thai style, I suppose living with my Thai family made this easy for me.

Sadly one day this was all ripped away from me, a new guy in town realised I had no work permit and regularly left on the typical via run. I was arrested by 2 local cops who regularly ate in the bar and 3 very nasty out of town cops from immigration. The local cops apologised at the time but went on to explain a complaint had been received and they were forced to act upon it, I was given the option of making a donation to the BIB but could not raise, nor could my Thai family raise the amount requested. I was handcuffed and taken away to IDC, not a pleasant experience, nor one I would like to experience again.

The point of this posting is not for pity, but to outline what your actions could lead to.

My life at the time was destroyed I was sent back home with just 2 hours of contact time with my GF and her family to say my goodbyes.

If anyone reading this is working without papers try and get it soughted, as I said you dont have to piss anyone off, if they dont like the look of you or your just in the wrong place at the wrong time your in it neck deep, and believe me its not a great place to be.

Personally if you have a problem with someone, be a man and face up to them. Expalin your gripes, dont lower yourself lower than a snakes belly.... What goes around comes around!!!!

No idea myself samuijens just know for a fact that when it all started up 5odd years ago many of them were picked up for not having wps or even the right visas but were miraculously out on the streets doing the same the very next day. :D I hear these days that wp are provided but I just can't beleive that they all have one as there are so many of them from the various places offering this kind of thing now.

:D WOW, that's what I call service, BUT is there others out there that can answer my question???? I thank you, for all answers and sorry for taking this a bit off-topic or whatever. :o Important to know the answer about Time Share Ppl!

I think you will find that the work permit is actually in process and doesn't make it to the final product. Well thats how they done it a few years back.

choppy

Edited by choppychugger

I'm going to disagree with everyone else here. I just turned in two foreigners who were in direct competition with my company. One even went so far as to lie about his service being the only one available in this trade... in spite of me doing the same thing for over a decade. And, as his prices were lower than mine, I decided to turn him in. His prices were lower because he didn't form a company, doesn't pay taxes, doesn't have any Thai employees, etc. This last one is the one that really made me decide to take action. If he wants to go through all of the same crap that I went through to compete on a level playing field, then I have absolutely no problem with that. Not including any Thais into the company's income stream is unacceptable in my eyes.

The other guy is also direct competition and was telling lies on his website too. But, I was more concerned that he was taking business away from some very nice Thai guys who work in the same area where he works. He sometimes works in my area too, but he's mainly in a different area.

Foreigners have a bad enough reputation. I feel like I made a positive impact by helping the authorities. They said that they appreciated my assistance. Call me a rat, snake, snitch or whatever, but I am tired of freeloaders taking advantage of Thailand, Thais and honest, hard-working foreigners.

But its not about being fair and honest in Thailand. Thailand is NOT a fair or honest place. If someone gets nabbed for no WP they have the ability to pay their way out of it so who really benefits? On top of that the cost to hurt someone or make them disappear is so low it may just be worth it to the now free person who has just paid out much more than that to be so.

I think a person could live longer and happier by not getting involved in anyone else's affairs.

There are plenty of issues in the world to get passionate about change for. Why not use your outstanding energy and direct it towards something more constructive and less life-threatening, :o

Thailand is NOT a fair or honest place.

I think a person could live longer and happier by not getting involved in anyone else's affairs.

True, but that doesn't mean necessarily that we should all just accept that and not do anything to improve the situation. I'm from the US and I would hardly feel right calling it an 'honest' country either. That doesn't mean that I've given up on the US either.

I thought: my Thai staff were getting screwed by the one company I mentioned as I found out about two different clients that went with them instead of us strictly on the issue of price. Should I really just say, oh ok, no problem? Sorry, I don't accept that way of thinking. Like I said before, if he wanted to get legal and compete with me, I have NO problem with that whatsoever... and I mean that.

I want Thailand to move forward and get out of this corruption rut. I think there are small ways that we can all make small changes for the better. For example, I refused to pay a bribe for a bus that I bought six months ago. Everyone told me to just give in and pay a bribe. I held out. Now, it's all finished and I feel much better about the way it went. I didn't pay a bribe, thus I didn't add to the already existing problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "live longer" :o , if it means that I should be worried about someone coming after me, let 'em come. I've got high friends in places too. :D

Do what's right and honest. I let a LOT of people just do whatever and don't consider turning them in, but these guys took it too far.

I want Thailand to move forward and get out of this corruption rut. I think there are small ways that we can all make small changes for the better. For example, I refused to pay a bribe for a bus that I bought six months ago. Everyone told me to just give in and pay a bribe. I held out. Now, it's all finished and I feel much better about the way it went. I didn't pay a bribe, thus I didn't add to the already existing problem.

I agree. That's why I report people for smoking grass when we all know it's illegal. I got lucky once and one guy I turned in had enough to be considered a dealer and they hung his dirtbag a_ss a while back. I turn them in for driving/riding a bike after one too many. Or for having pirate software on their computer when they think they are so dam_n smart for only paying 100 baht where honest people pay hundereds of USD. Or for people buying or selling pirate DVDs. In fact, I don't have much time left in my day I report so many of these low-lifes. If I did, I would independently investigate all farang I see think might be working.

Wow! Quite a response... 8 )

I'm only thinking of turning this person in because they have crossed me.

I have helped this person out no end and found out that they have been bad mouthing me behind my back.

This is only a thought I have had and this is why I have asked for people's opinions on the subject.

Obviously I am having second thoughts about doing it or I would have already done it.

This person has really taken the p*ss and it would be a good way of getting rid of them.

I guess I should turn the other cheek and just look after myself.

Tam Dee Dai Dee, Tam Chor Dai Chor or something like that...........

Wow! Quite a response... 8 )

I'm only thinking of turning this person in because they have crossed me.

I have helped this person out no end and found out that they have been bad mouthing me behind my back.

This is only a thought I have had and this is why I have asked for people's opinions on the subject.

Obviously I am having second thoughts about doing it or I would have already done it.

This person has really taken the p*ss and it would be a good way of getting rid of them.

I guess I should turn the other cheek and just look after myself.

Tam Dee Dai Dee, Tam Chor Dai Chor or something like that...........

If he's crossed you bad enough I can see doing it.

Maybe there's some way you can make him think the immigration cops are coming for him? Like a in Punk'd. That way you don't become a "snitch" yet get some satisfaction watching him crap himself. Do you know any Thais who would be willing to play the role of an immigration official? Would this guy be able to read the Thai written on whatever ID your Thai friend shows him? Maybe your Thai friend could get some nice "tea money" out of it. Wow, that would be a nightmare scam, wouldn't it?

Edited by koheesti