25 April At The "bridge"

john b good

• 3 weeks later...

Has any one done it (been out to Kanchanaburi) for the ANZAC Day service.

How did you do it?

Bus out and back on the day, stay over, where is the service held, at what time, was it worth it, did many attend, etc., etc.

No one knows by the look of it (either that or they are not saying) :o

G,day,

Done ANZAC day the past couple of years, very moving experience. Especially if you attend the dawn service at hel_l Fire Pass as well. I drive up and stay a few days before then a few more after the ceremony.

But there are buses or a train you can take. Many guest houses along the river. Well worth the trip

Here is a link to the railway, from a mate who set up the site..:http://www.gunplot.net/kwairailway/hellfirepass.html

cheers,

lesdunbar

G,day,

Done ANZAC day the past couple of years, very moving experience. Especially if you attend the dawn service at hel_l Fire Pass as well. I drive up and stay a few days before then a few more after the ceremony.

But there are buses or a train you can take. Many guest houses along the river. Well worth the trip

Here is a link to the railway, from a mate who set up the site..:http://www.gunplot.net/kwairailway/hellfirepass.html

cheers,

lesdunbar

Thanks for the reply Les.

I have left my run a bit late for this year so I will try and get myself organised for next.

Pretty sure the embassy or AIT (Aussies in Thailand) or AustCham organise a trip up. Also Thailand Tigers (the AFL guys here) do an annual trip as well. Get on to all these a couple months before for next year and you'll be sweet.

Apologies so late.

G,day,

cheers,

lesdunbar

Thanks for the reply Les.

I have left my run a bit late for this year so I will try and get myself organised for next.

seems like a lot of Kiwis and Aussies head out there I think you have to arrive 24th in the evening, no idea where they hold the actual service but for sure would not be hard to make it out there once in town; it is a pretty big event.

I've never really been one to think too much about this sort of thing; do recall the ANZAC service growing up, but never really got over the hatred in some of the WW2 servicemen's eyes as they looked at me, a perceived yellow enemy.

There seem to be people paying respects all year around, but you might like to contact the embassies for more info as they probably arrange something out that way.

• 3 weeks later...

How did you do it?

Bus out and back on the day, stay over, where is the service held, at what time, was it worth it, did many attend, etc., etc.

The Royal British Legion Thailand have a 2 night 3 days trip to the Bridge for ANZAC Day every year, if you can get hold of a copy of this weeks Pattaya Mail you will see a report of this years visit, or go to our website www.tropicalberts.com We have many Aussie and Kiwi members and I always allow one of them to lay our wreath, after the service and in the evening we joined in the Aussie custom of Ice Cold Beer!!!. This may help you for next year and we can pick up in BKK. We have only 1 member in Bangkok and could cetainly do with a lot more to help us over the Poppy Appeal in November, should anyone be interested please contact me.

Bert

How did you do it?

The Royal British Legion Thailand have a 2 night 3 days trip to the Bridge for ANZAC Day every year, if you can get hold of a copy of this weeks Pattaya Mail you will see a report of this years visit, or go to our website www.tropicalberts.com We have many Aussie and Kiwi members and I always allow one of them to lay our wreath, after the service and in the evening we joined in the Aussie custom of Ice Cold Beer!!!. This may help you for next year and we can pick up in BKK. We have only 1 member in Bangkok and could cetainly do with a lot more to help us over the Poppy Appeal in November, should anyone be interested please contact me.

Bert

well done Bert, keep it up :o