What's This Artwork ?

adjan jb

hi OP and all,

i have a suggestion. since we have more or less agreed that this is for educational purposes as well, how about this twist? anyone can post an artwork, preferably from their own country or simply a personal favorite with a brief explanation or description. BUT FOR INTERMISSION ONLY... the guessing game continues as before...

i think this is also a good way to attract more participants and to give them a chance to join...what do you think?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thread, started by Thaibebop, called:

Art & Museums, Thai, Asia, or otherwise.

It started 2006-04-24 and ended already in June.....2006-06-02 to be exact; so it survived for a mere 5-6 weeks :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=67077&st=0

There is also:

Photography and the Arts Subforums but it remains a Photo forum and not -other- Art.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=84

Note:

There was another thread a long time ago on the 'secret' forum about Art where I contributed quite a bit....it died also. !

I love and enjoy playing this thread, opened by adjan jb, but this game is different than 'what's the city' or 'what's this place'.

It is much more difficult than the others.

If this game is spread to ALL the different styles and types of ART it is doomed to end very soon, simply because NONE of us knows enough about all the millions of artists and Art-directions in the world.

I liked the beginning when Adjan jb wrote:

"All you do is post a photo of a more or less famous artwork (painting, sculpture,...)"

If we talk that kind of Art we talk 'more or less famous artwork' indeed, by 'more or less famous artists'.

If you Gents/Ladies wish to extend the game and make an educationally tinted thread it's fine with me and I will try to play on but I guarantee here and now that this game will live a short life.

The esteemed member 'Old Croc' and myself spent a lot of time at a certain stage on 'CITY' and 'PLACE' and both of us were almost the only 'winners'..with Croc in the lead, no doubt.

I backed off because it was no fun anymore, just the 2 of us, and I don't play that much anymore and both games suffered a slow period for quite some time.

With Art it's even more difficult.

But, hey !......that's just my opinion, ok ? If you want to play...play ! :D

If you want to have a re-start and forget about my 5 posted pieces of artwork, it's also OK with me...but, you will never know :o

Laopo

I hope this game doesn't die...makes me think paying $25,000 for my MFA was worth it after all. If I didn't also study practical digital arts I would be in some serious trouble right about now.

An internet forum is the only place where I would dare admit such an embarrassing thing. It's a sad world where one's fine art studies are considered a skeleton in the closet..."Hello everyone, my name is Matt, I'm Australian and I studied Fine Art". "HIII, MATT" :o

How about some hints LaoPo?

so what about my suggestion? the game continues but if once in a while, someone wants to post an artwork for "educational purposes", one may do so... as i said, something like an intermission while some of us do the thinking, guessing. and no one need to react to this "FYI" artwork?

I offer this picture (art?) as a pause for those following this thread.....

Painting2ES_1000x579.jpg

....I think he has captured the sofa very well.

[ As a follow up to the earlier "debate", I remember talking with someone well established in this field, art is not the subject but the perspective. Campell's Soup anyone? ]

ok will not ask you to guess...

Just an introduction to Philippine painting. This one is from Fernando Amorsolo (1892-1972), very popular and known for his portrayal of rural Philippine landscapes and village activities like planting and harvesting of rice, fiestas, etc. Women are often the focus of his paintings.

"Amorsolo also used natural light in his paintings and developed the backlighting technique, which became his artistic trademark and his greatest contribution to Philippine painting. In a typical Amorsolo painting, figures are outlined against a characteristic glow, and intense light on one part of the canvas highlights nearby details. Philippine sunlight was a constant feature of Amorsolo's work".

post-59735-1208007430_thumb.jpg

post-59735-1208007444_thumb.jpg

post-59735-1208007456_thumb.jpg

I offer this picture (art?) as a pause for those following this thread.....

Painting2ES_1000x579.jpg

The painting, above, by Lucian Freud is:

..........the 1995 work, Benefits Supervisor Sleeping, is estimated to fetch between $25m and $35m (£12.7m to £17.7m)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7342536.stm

&

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7343999.stm

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...
I hope this game doesn't die...makes me think paying $25,000 for my MFA was worth it after all. If I didn't also study practical digital arts I would be in some serious trouble right about now.

An internet forum is the only place where I would dare admit such an embarrassing thing. It's a sad world where one's fine art studies are considered a skeleton in the closet..."Hello everyone, my name is Matt, I'm Australian and I studied Fine Art". "HIII, MATT" :o

How about some hints LaoPo?

I fully agree that it would be sad when this thread dies and I wonder why nobody took a small step and at least give an answer.

I didn't notice your last sentence Cavannagh until just now, re-reading the thread in order to look what happened, and I'm sorry for that.

It appears (but I might be wrong) that some players are not even willing to discuss my suggestions and I answered the OP -Adjan jb- with his question for rule-ideas but after giving my ideas...no answer.

Well, trying to revive this thread again I give some more hints, apart from the paintings and pieces of art I gave already from this contemporary artist; 5 in total I believe.

Here are all the artworks again: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1921708

1. Have a good look at the last image in my previous post with art; combine that with # 2

2. post-13995-1208818977_thumb.jpg and combine # 2 with:

3. post-13995-1208818957.jpg

If you Gents wish to stop this game, the least you could do is show some 'balls' and tell me WHY you want to stop.

Ignore is for kiddies in the kinder garden, not for grown up people. It's now 9 or 10 days since I posted a last message...but no sign from you guys...

Adjan jb: you as the OP, please let us know if you wish to continue or let the thread die/continue without setting (- any further-) rules and stick with the original rules.

If you don't wish any of that: fine with me also.

I've done my best; more than that. :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

hi lao po! nice to see you back.

from where i come from, art is never big, and certainly not western art. it does need a lot more work and effort to research than say, coming up with a few words, three or five at the max! :o

but will try my best. i like impressionist artists, and most familiar with it. been to rijn though. impressive~

I sensed you were envying the other players Croc; you simply couldn't follow up and instead you posted some obscure Oz artist, nobody else outside Ayers Rock ever heard of........ :o

I mean: just look at that silly woman in the painting; she simply makes everybody lose appetite.

What a world.

LaoPo

If you Gents wish to stop this game, the least you could do is show some 'balls' and tell me WHY you want to stop.

Ignore is for kiddies in the kinder garden, not for grown up people. It's now 9 or 10 days since I posted a last message...but no sign from you guys...

LaoPo

My reason for leaving this thread was the curt dismissal of Australian art, and the significant artist Drysdale, in the quote above. I thought it showed a certain degree of ignorance. :D

It seemed to me you were of an opinion that if it wasn't Rembrant, or 18th century Dutch masters, it didn't count.

I left the thread rather than cause ill feelings by replying to that ordinary post.

However, apparently that meant I lack "balls", hence this reply now.

:D

I sensed you were envying the other players Croc; you simply couldn't follow up and instead you posted some obscure Oz artist, nobody else outside Ayers Rock ever heard of........ :o

I mean: just look at that silly woman in the painting; she simply makes everybody lose appetite.

What a world.

LaoPo

LaoPo

My reason for leaving this thread was the curt dismissal of Australian art, and the significant artist Drysdale, in the quote above. I thought it showed a certain degree of ignorance. :D

It seemed to me you were of an opinion that if it wasn't Rembrant, or 18th century Dutch masters, it didn't count.

I left the thread rather than cause ill feelings by replying to that ordinary post.

Croc: I thought you knew me longer than today...Why do you think I posted this a few minutes later ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1921311

No more humor and irony Croc ? :D because it was meant that way.

YOU, of all members should have known that I would never write such a thing, other than meant to be humoristic and with irony ?

Really Croc, I thought you knew me better.

And:

LeungKen: I agree and if you've read my posts you can see that I agreed before.

I simply asked your opinions about adjusting the rules, nothing more.

LaoPo

What a world.

LaoPo

LaoPo

Croc: I thought you knew me longer than today...Why do you think I posted this a few minutes later ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1921311

No more humor and irony Croc ? :D because it was meant that way.

YOU, of all members should have known that I would never write such a thing, other than meant to be humoristic and with irony ?

Really Croc, I thought you knew me better.

And:

LeungKen: I agree and if you've read my posts you can see that I agreed before.

I simply asked your opinions about adjusting the rules, nothing more.

LaoPo

I did look for the smilie in your original post LaoPo, and when I didn't spot one, thought your post was serious. (I didn't see the separate one further down) I gave you the benefit of the doubt at the time, held my tongue, and moved on, while deciding the thread was not to my liking. It seemed to be too highbrow for my interest.

Your challenge to "show some balls and grow up" also came without an indication of humour, so I got my balls out!

My post, however did have a smilie attached.

I have no hard feelings about this mate, just making a stand on my principles. I still regard you as one of my forum friends if you're happy for that to remain. :D

Incidentally, a Drysdale painting sold for $1.68 million last month, so, while not one of the world greats, he is/was a significant artist. :D