Divorce Question - American / Thai

Tokay

Yes, it will be very interesting how she explains to the US government that her attempted fraud ( silly little mistake, cause she's Thai ) has backfired, and now would like to move on to greener pastures. She needs absolutely no proof, her mouth will be quite sufficient, along with the signing of a small statement confirming her facts. This will probably lead to prosecution here in the LOS, because the US government doesn't think fraud is a silly little mistake. The government attaches don't get paid on a per case basis, so its of no extra cost for them to file these charges here. Smart girl, go for it, shoot off your mouth. You know the saying "give them enough rope to hang themselves"? I certainly hope she never gets a US visa.

Seems to me things are a bit ar_se about here.

Based on the story presented in the OP, the woman has not attempted a fraud - she is getting nothing from the US government. The "husband" is the one who has attempted the fraud, and she may have assisted him.

And it will be up to the Thai authorities as to whether on not she is prosecuted, not US government attaches.

The husband would seem to be the prime instigator, and if anyone should be in the dock, it is him.

As for a US visa, based on her current experience, that may be the last thing she would want.

Haven't seen anyone comment on support; sorry if I missed it.

Given her situation, it seems that perhaps the money he owes her should be the focus.

The US military issued her an ID. That means they recognize the marriage, and it means the guy owes her support for the duration (however short) of their marriage, and perhaps he will owe her something beyond that.

She really needs a US veteran, or at least a US citizen, to assist her at JUSMAG. It's JUSMAG's job to assist her if she has a valid military dependent ID, or maybe more accurately to put her in touch with those who can assist her, and they need to be pushed on it.

Given her situation, it seems that perhaps the money he owes her should be the focus.

The US military issued her an ID. That means they recognize the marriage, and it means the guy owes her support for the duration (however short) of their marriage, and perhaps he will owe her something beyond that.

She really needs a US veteran, or at least a US citizen, to assist her at JUSMAG. It's JUSMAG's job to assist her if she has a valid military dependent ID, or maybe more accurately to put her in touch with those who can assist her, and they need to be pushed on it.

I am US veteran and a Thai (makes it easier to talk to the lady in question, if her English is not so good). I will be heading down to JUSMAG after SOngkhran to take care of some stuff. If this lady wants my help and can wait until after SOngkhran (or maybe 1st week of May), I would be more than happy to help her.

Ski....

I am US veteran and a Thai (makes it easier to talk to the lady in question, if her English is not so good). I will be heading down to JUSMAG after SOngkhran to take care of some stuff. If this lady wants my help and can wait until after SOngkhran (or maybe 1st week of May), I would be more than happy to help her.

Ski....

This sounds like a great offer to help. :o

Yes, it will be very interesting how she explains to the US government that her attempted fraud ( silly little mistake, cause she's Thai ) has backfired, and now would like to move on to greener pastures. She needs absolutely no proof, her mouth will be quite sufficient, along with the signing of a small statement confirming her facts. This will probably lead to prosecution here in the LOS, because the US government doesn't think fraud is a silly little mistake. The government attaches don't get paid on a per case basis, so its of no extra cost for them to file these charges here. Smart girl, go for it, shoot off your mouth. You know the saying "give them enough rope to hang themselves"? I certainly hope she never gets a US visa.

Based on the story presented in the OP, the woman has not attempted a fraud - she is getting nothing from the US government. The "husband" is the one who has attempted the fraud, and she may have assisted him.

And it will be up to the Thai authorities as to whether on not she is prosecuted, not US government attaches.

The husband would seem to be the prime instigator, and if anyone should be in the dock, it is him.

As for a US visa, based on her current experience, that may be the last thing she would want.

Correct. Her husband is the one who has received money through all of this. Her bank account has no incoming payments from him, so she has not committed any crime. He married her and left town, abandoning her while not minding his minor pay increase. Since I first posted this, she has been in contact again with the JUSMAG and has the help of an attorney to help push the matter along. It seems her husband has some explaining to do. I'll let you know how it all pans out.

By the way, it humors me to read Americans assume everyone wants a visa to their country. She has no intentions of leaving Thailand for your glorious nation. Sorry to disapoint and I know it's impossible for some to fathom, but not everyone wants to come to the United States.

Thanks for your replies.

Fair play if you say she's a good girl and works hard i'll believe you, but the certain people that would happily see a man thrown into jail for such a minor crime deserve a brick in the face.

Im sure this could be quite easily resolved without gettting people into bother with the establishment no matter how silly theyve been.

Sure, like he could come back to Thailand and get a divorce like she wants. But he refuses to do that, so she has to pursue other avenues.

Correct. Her husband is the one who has received money through all of this. Her bank account has no incoming payments from him, so she has not committed any crime. He married her and left town, abandoning her while not minding his minor pay increase. Since I first posted this, she has been in contact again with the JUSMAG and has the help of an attorney to help push the matter along. It seems her husband has some explaining to do. I'll let you know how it all pans out.

By the way, it humors me to read Americans assume everyone wants a visa to their country. She has no intentions of leaving Thailand for your glorious nation. Sorry to disapoint and I know it's impossible for some to fathom, but not everyone wants to come to the United States.

Thanks for your replies.

Wonder if she's talked with John Dytse, the Retired Affairs Officer at JUSMAG.  He's a civilian, been there for 20++ years, knowledgeable!

Reckon she's talked with the JAG already.

Mac

not retired Army, but Camp Friendship, Feb '64-'Feb '65

It's been MANY years since I was in the US Navy. Things must have changed a lot. At that time, if you were married, the allotment check went directly to the wife. That discouraged scams to get extra pay simply because you had a fraudulent marriage.