Loose Change Exchange?

Meg_2003

Ive been saving up my loose change in a large tin for a couple of years now - and I have 25,000 baht saved in 25,50 satang and 1,2,5 and 10 baht coins. I notice 7-11 and carrefour no longer have any notices saying they do this exchange and my partner went to the bank and asked about this (We want to put it in our bank account) and they said they will not accept such a large amount of change.

Does anyone know where I can change all this? Its adding up and up and I need to change it before it gets too much..

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks everyone :o

Ive been saving up my loose change in a large tin for a couple of years now - and I have 25,000 baht saved in 25,50 satang and 1,2,5 and 10 baht coins. I notice 7-11 and carrefour no longer have any notices saying they do this exchange and my partner went to the bank and asked about this (We want to put it in our bank account) and they said they will not accept such a large amount of change.

Does anyone know where I can change all this? Its adding up and up and I need to change it before it gets too much..

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks everyone :o

Try the bigger stores like Tesco / Carrefour / Big C. Any place that has prices with satang. 47.25 Bt

Go to the store cashier window- not a checkout worker.

They used to have signs saying that they desperately needed change, especially satangs.

Or- find out how much the bank will accept in one deposit, and do it in as many deposits as required.

Ahhhhhh, It's you ! , You created the nationwide coin shortage! :D

I usually change mine down the pub, most pubs need lots of coins - but probably not 25K's worth :o

The bank should accept it, only reason they won't is coz they can't be assed with counting it. Had the same prob on a few occasions. Pretend that you don't understand what their saying, say you've been to 7/11 etc already and they usually come round. :o

If you want to put it into the bank;

Sort by denomination and count.

Count into reasonable piles, ie 100 of each coin.

Just drop it in with completed deposit form and bank book, and say you will be back in a couple of hours/days. Smile lots and don't even try to speak Thai.

If they decide they will only take x number of coins for each deposit, empty the correct number of bags onto the counter for them to count. :o

Had the same problem with a much smaller amount, about 1,000 Baht. The bank at first refused to accept it and it took a while of negotiating with the cashier and hours of counting and re-counting. Will never do it again.

Instead, I keep the change now in the car and pay my high way tickets with it. By the time they realize that they got paid in 25 Satang coins the barrier is already open and I hit the gas... :o

25,000 Baht of coins will weigh a minimum of 60 kilograms.

1,5,10 baht coins are eay to get rid of in day-to-day spending baht bus, RO water machines, bars and supermarkets.

However satangs are a problem. Just pile them up and get rid of them in big supermarkets.

Forget banks. They don't won't the hassle. But honestly, 10X10 baht coins are very useful to most places and gratefully accepted.

25,000 Baht of coins will weigh a minimum of 60 kilograms.

Interesting!

25,000 baht of 25 satang coins = 190 kg

50 satang coins = 120 kg

1 baht coins = 85 kg

2 baht cons = 55 kg

5 baht coins = 37.5 kg

10 baht coins = 21.25 kg

Imagine turning up at the bank with 190 kg worth of 25 satang coins. :o

Info on Thai coins

I no longer accumulate coins. I reach for my change whenever possible to pay for stuff...and save satang for places that give them to me. Fortunately 7Eleven and Family Mart have started using them.

Edited by tropo