Tourist Visa - Admitted Until Date

Hi all... I have looked in forums but cant find the exact answer to my predicament...

My Tourist visa date stamp is 'Admitted until 17 apr 2008'

Can I get the 30 day extension at Suan plu, Bkk, on this date or must I go before this date???

Got my fingers crossed as I have flight out of Thailand 14th May and If I have to extend before Songkran then Its a trip to Laos for me.

Thanks in advance :o

Very confusing (to me anyway)....I am correct in saying that the 30 day extension is from the date on the stamp and not from the date of visit to immigration??

Cheers

Edited by Buzby

You have to get out (or get an extension) on the date mentioned as opposed to the date mentioned you have to enter Thailand which is on the date BEFORE the date mentioned.

=========================================================================

I am correct in saying that the 30 day extension is from the date on the stamp and not from the date of visit to immigration??

=========================================================================

In general, yes. I even applied one day after the date mentioned and still got an extension from the day before.

Edited by sniffdog

"My Tourist visa date stamp is 'Admitted until 17 apr 2008'

I would think it is rather obvious that you need to get your extension before april 17. Go there a few days before (and be aware of non working days and holidays, as it is Songkran around april 12, I would go before that date) and you will get an extensions 30 days from the admitted date (17-4) not from the date you actually show up.

Thanks very much for the replies...

I was a little confused and worried about when the 30 days extension actually commenced and if I could apply ON the 'admitted to' date. In my case the date is the day immigration reopens after songkran. Worries over :o . Will be going this week, before songkran.

Thanks again.

...My Tourist visa date stamp is 'Admitted until 17 apr 2008'...

In case Sniffdog’s reply should have confused you, let me explain it like this:

The tourist visa you obtained from a Thai consulate probably has two dates on it. One date is the issue date of the visa, the other date is preceded by a text something like “this visa must be utilized before <date>”. At this point, after you already used the visa to travel to Thailand, neither date is of any significance, unless the tourist visa is valid for more than one entry.

When you entered Thailand an entry stamp was placed in your passport with the text “admitted <date> until 17 APR 2008”. This date of 17 APR 2008 is relevant for your question. Not later than 17 April, generally during the last 7-10 days before that date, you should go to an immigration office to apply for your 30-day extension. Regardless of the date when you make your application, the extension will be counted from 17 April, ie your permission to stay will be extended until 17 May.

--

Maestro

==========================================================

I would think it is rather obvious that you need to get your extension before april 17.

Wrong! Inclusive of the 17th ...

I would think it is rather obvious that you need to get your extension before april 17.

Wrong! Inclusive of the 17th ...

Strictly speaking you are correct, still I wouldn't risk it, let's assume the immigration officer just decides to not grant you any extension (not even 7 days) something he is fully entitled of doing, then you have to leave the country on the same day or have an overstay.

So I still think it is obvious to not do it on the last day, in fact I would allow for some days, maybe the number 7-10 stated by maestro is a good period to do your extension.

OP wisely will go just before Songkran, in this case the right thing to do (I don't know if the immigration bureau will be closed during all of songkran, but you never know).

I always make a point of getting my extension a week early....just in case (as sjaak327 mentioned) I wasn't granted the extension. I would then have more time to plan my next move.