Guys With Chopsticks In The Ears

coalminer

I use the services of a Thai barber every 1 or 2 days.

The Thai barber does make an excellent shaving, including the shaving of my ears, forehead, neck and part of my back, and ending with a little massage of my shoulders.

And all this for 25 Baht.

Hardly more than the price of a throw away razor.

But I noticed many times that there were other people (no fahrangs) in the barber shop who were having a little nap while different sticks were punch in their ears.

Apparently, the barber was also offering an ear-cleansing servive.

Something which in my country is only available at the official doctors.

I would like to know (before using this service myself) if anyone used the barber shop to get an ear cleansing and what was the feeling while inserting the sticks and afterwards (was your hearing gone to the dogs or did you hear better).

TIA

Coalminer

In my country, Audiologist and Physicians may clean ears... legally.

In Thialand, like many things, there may be a law on the books, but know one would know where to begin to look for such laws, and an official would probably fall over laughing if they were asked regarding such a trivial matter.

The imediate risks one would have undergoing such an activity would be an ear drum perforation, a scatch a long the ear canal - leading to an inffection, pushing the ear wax even futher downt he ear canal.... pretty much lodging it in there such that the wax would not or could not come out without medical intervention. Theoritically they could be passing fungus from client to client too.

It were me... I would be grateful some guy without the propper equipment and training is not playing with my ears.

I'm not sure about the 'chopsticks' thing, but my barber does ear cleaning using a proper set of 'tools' (some of which I'd rather not actually look at) and some fizzy sounding stuff that I suspect is Hydrogen Peroxide, she even warms the tools with her light before jamming them in the old lug-holes :o

It's no different to having your mum clean you out with a cotton bud, certainly not painful although some may find it unpleasant. After the first time it was like being in a cathedral, have it done once a month now so the effect is more limited although I still get the comments about "growing rice in there".

In my country, Audiologist and Physicians may clean ears... legally.

In Thialand, like many things, there may be a law on the books, but know one would know where to begin to look for such laws, and an official would probably fall over laughing if they were asked regarding such a trivial matter.

The imediate risks one would have undergoing such an activity would be an ear drum perforation, a scatch a long the ear canal - leading to an inffection, pushing the ear wax even futher downt he ear canal.... pretty much lodging it in there such that the wax would not or could not come out without medical intervention. Theoritically they could be passing fungus from client to client too.

It were me... I would be grateful some guy without the propper equipment and training is not playing with my ears.

My father was a barber too and, by his profession as a barber, he was officially entitled to give injections (vaccinations) as part of his job.

Although this has changed over the years and, generally, barbers in my home country are not giving injections anymore, it is still performed in some remote area's where civilisation hasn't reached yet.

He carried a set of medical tools with him as part of his barber tools.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster....

If your ears "ain't broke, don't fix it"...

And if they are broke...go to a doctor.

On second thoughts, hel_l with it, let the barber stick chopsticks in your ears, maybe he could do you a few fillings or a root canal at the same time.

I usually just have a Haircut , shave and occasional Head massage.

I was offered the ear-cleaning service and although concerned I agreed.

I could feel the implement scraping against what I though was my ear drum and was a bit worried. She applied a bit more pressure and eventually pulled out some festering foreign matter the size of the end of my little finger. people no longer have to repeat themselves quite so much and I remember giving her quite a big tip considering I had visited my Asian GP in the UK six months before to check out my Hearing who said I was fine and who probably earns the equivalent of 10 million baht a year.

I think I'll have it done every 6 months or so.

I'm not sure about the 'chopsticks' thing, but my barber does ear cleaning using a proper set of 'tools' (some of which I'd rather not actually look at) and some fizzy sounding stuff that I suspect is Hydrogen Peroxide, she even warms the tools with her light before jamming them in the old lug-holes :o

It's no different to having your mum clean you out with a cotton bud, certainly not painful although some may find it unpleasant. After the first time it was like being in a cathedral, have it done once a month now so the effect is more limited although I still get the comments about "growing rice in there".

Propper in a third world sense, but in a modern medical society.... we use

www.entmicroscopes.com/images/products/008100000.jpg

and for those that would like to learn more

www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/hearing/wax2.html

I wouldn't. If I were you I'd go to a hospital or clinic and pay the 500 - 1000 baht they demand. Depends on how much you value your hearing I suppose. What next? Open heart surgery from the som tam lady or brain tumour removal by the tuk-tuk driver.

As a side note, there are two types of genetically determined ear wax in humans.

The reason why curettage is usually performed by healthcare professionals in the West is likely because people of Caucasian and African ancestry tend to have the 'wet' type of ear wax that is more difficult to clean out. In contrast, East Asians and Native Americans tend to have the 'dry' type of ear wax that is quite easy to remove.

All this from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwax

As a side note, there are two types of genetically determined ear wax in humans.

The reason why curettage is usually performed by healthcare professionals in the West is likely because people of Caucasian and African ancestry tend to have the 'wet' type of ear wax that is more difficult to clean out. In contrast, East Asians and Native Americans tend to have the 'dry' type of ear wax that is quite easy to remove.

All this from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwax

Interesting.

I wouldn't. If I were you I'd go to a hospital or clinic and pay the 500 - 1000 baht they demand. Depends on how much you value your hearing I suppose. What next? Open heart surgery from the som tam lady or brain tumour removal by the tuk-tuk driver.

I thaught to "go local" on this "ear-chopsticks" thinghy, but after reading the replies of some of the members I will stick with the Maharat Hospital to have my ears cleansed.

Well, in my case, it sometimes triggers something in between of the sneeze- and puke reflexes.

Once it drew blood, so i had to be careful of getting water out after every shower to reduce chance of infection.

But usually if they know what they are doing (i suspect not all do), it feels like the hearing has just recieved anabolic steroids. Especially in the upper and lower tune regions. Quite a shock to get back out in Soi Thonglor and actually hearing all the noise.

By the way, where do you get 25B shave? Not in Ko Samui or Phuket i take it :o