Grapefruit

sbk

Now that the bg threads are slowed down a bit, I will try again.

Pomelos are alright just a bit too dry for me. Has anyone ever seen grapefruit for sale in Thailand? I read that a tree will grow true from seed so even if I can't ever find a tree (anyone seen any trees??) then in about 7 years (i'm patient) I can have some fruit.

:o

I don't believe have ever seen them here in Bangkok but admit have never looked for the either.

Google turned up S......B...... asking so guess that was you? :o

I don't recall any in Miami area so maybe they need cooler weather.

Lopburi, on the garden web forums? Yup, that's me. That's how I found out it is possible to grow from seed. The GW forums are great for any gardeners, farmers, orchardists etc. Got some great advice on our avocado trees there. Lots of really informed people from all over; the US, Oz, the UK, just not so many in Thailand. Hence why I was asking here if anyone has actually seen grapefruits, if not then I will just smuggle seed in from home (oops, you didn't read that :D ). Like I said, pomelos are good (native to the area) but I think there are new varieties developed that are nicer than the natives, just, again, not available here. And I like the juiciness of grapefruits.

Also grapefruit seed extract is supposed have some medicinal qualities besides clearing up your breath :o

• Thumbs Up 1

I live in the Orlando, Florida area. I am going to BKK 10/12/04. I can bring you bag of Grapefruit if you would like. Let me know the type and i'll forward my BKK phone you can call to pick up or meet not a problem

Wow, thanks for the very generous offer, but unfortunately I live nowhere near bangkok. Have you ever brought fruit into Thailand? They make you claim it but I suppose they would just let you keep it?

on a slightly different tack but nevertheless horticulturally related , could someone tell me what kind of soil there is on samui and if i plant english wildflower seeds (annuals and perennials) are they likely to grow.

i would like to have some english meadow flowers in my garden.

thanks in advance for any answers.

i have brought mostly blueberries the bush variety as my wife loves them and for some reason they are expensive if you can find them. i have also brought rain lilies which are a hot weather variety not the most beautiful but at least they will grow. Knock on wood i have never had them bother me! I always supposed that i would just give it up and not worry if they bothered me. I used to do the same when i brought native variety of chile out of southern mexico. By the way florida is getting most it's citrus from south africa right now about a 1.20 an orange! since we have had the four huccicanes in a row! sorry i couldn't help!

Tax, if it's anything like Koh P (which I would guess it was) then its sandy (but decent) soil in the lowlands and nasty clay that is rock hard when dry and mud when wet in the hills. English wildflowers would depend, you could probably get them from seed the first year but it would depend on the flower if they self-propagated. Some seeds need a cold period before germinating. Some flowers don't do well in the heat and would have to be grown during our cool season (like now! BRRR! 22 C last night :o ). Other flowers are heat tolerant and others love and thrive in the heat. What flowers did you have in mind? Perhaps I can help.

Bucatini, so you are saying that I could bring grapefruits back and have no bother then? I wouldn't necessarily have to go so far as smuggle the seeds in? Did you declare your blueberries? Did they see them when you passed through customs? 'Cause theoretically you aren't allowed to bring food into the country.

Bucatini, so you are saying that I could bring grapefruits back and have no bother then? I wouldn't necessarily have to go so far as smuggle the seeds in? Did you declare your blueberries? Did they see them when you passed through customs? 'Cause theoretically you aren't allowed to bring food into the country.

I have never been aware of any problem with food and the likes here. Seattle, USA is a different story.

There is not even a customs form used here anymore and previous form did not list food. Only 'plants' had to be declared.

I have never met a Thai traveler without food. :o

Good point Lopburi! I will bring a bag of grapefruit back next time I come. Other question, I always transit through either SFO, LAX or SEA, will they give me a hard time about grapefruits transiting? LA probably would but I don't know about the others.

Not sure about the Dole people in Chumpon, if they are importing grapefruit what are they importing it for? Juice? Perhaps some of my husband's relatives in Chumpon could get some for me from them? Don't know how these big corp.s work, you could easily do it at a small op but not sure about something as big as Dole.

Good point Lopburi! I will bring a bag of grapefruit back next time I come. Other question, I always transit through either SFO, LAX or SEA, will they give me a hard time about grapefruits transiting? LA probably would but I don't know about the others.

Not sure about the Dole people in Chumpon, if they are importing grapefruit what are they importing it for? Juice? Perhaps some of my husband's relatives in Chumpon could get some for me from them? Don't know how these big corp.s work, you could easily do it at a small op but not sure about something as big as Dole.

California has very tight agricultural laws and even auto traffic can get inspected. SEA TAC has always been very tight on international air pax arrivals but have not noticed any indication it is the same for domestic or departures. Last time through there half the plane was full of fresh caught salmon from a connecting Alaska flight.

sbk , thanks for the reply.

we are in the uk at the moment and will bring back some seeds.

have got ox eye daisy,field scabious,red and white campion,foxglove and zinnia.

i know nothing about gardening but would like to have a natural looking garden (no trimmed borders or neatly planted areas.) on our steeply sloping,north facing...good view over to phangan! plot, just wild grasses and meadow flowers.

mrs tax has plans for planting edible thai stuff as well.

any advice/ suggestions gratefully received. :o

i had a load of seeds brought over from austria, but they werent a great success here, well thats a slight understatement, infact they all died b4 flowering :o but then again i aint got green fingers so to speak.

i remember chatting to an african farmer and they grew lime trees and then spliced on branches of lemon trees to get lemons becos they couldnt grow lemon trees there for some reason, i forgot to ask him where he got the lemon tree branches though, all seems a bit strange if u ask me.

sbk , thanks for the reply.

we are in the uk at the moment and will bring back some seeds.

have got ox eye daisy,field scabious,red and white campion,foxglove and zinnia.

English wildflowers are unlikely to survive the heat of Thailand for long and would stretch and fall over even if they grew at all.To do well they need similar conditions to the climate they are native in.Thailand is tropical and nothing like the uk even the hills/mountains areas would be doubtfull.

I am not saying you don't have to delcare them but i just have never. I also have never had any problem passing customs on the thai side and like lorubri i have only had problems coming back through usa customs. I never have brought all that much couple plants at a time.

Pomelos are alright just a bit too dry for me. Has anyone ever seen grapefruit for sale in Thailand? I read that a tree will grow true from seed so even if I can't ever find a tree (anyone seen any trees??) then in about 7 years (i'm patient) I can have some fruit.

I'm sure I've seen grapefruit in Tops supermarkets in BKK, but it was some time ago. Grapefruit juice is also rare but is available in cans from some Foodland outlets (imported from Oz). I also live some distance from BKK but I make a point of buying a few cans of juice to bring back when I visit.