Danny Hall--Missing Person

Yes, quite poorly written.

Anyway, the section of the Bangkok Post article relevant to the missing Danny Hall:

The latest case involving Koh Phangan tourists ise disappearance of Daniel Christian Hall, or Danny Hall, a British national who joined a full moon party one southern island on Feb 24.

The 35-year-old Briton was last seen ate Back Yard Bar on Feb 25 at midnight, according to a press release circulated by a group of his friends.

The last known contact was a phone call to his friend at 2am on Feb 26.

He had stayed at Lam Son bungalows on Hat Yao beach since Feb 16. He had never returned to his bungalow to collect his clothes, bag or guitar.

Mr Hall's family and friends have been closely coordinating with British and Thai authorities to find him.

Mr Hall has travelled extensively and was interested in Thai boxing. He graduated frome University of Birmingham with an honours degree in history.

''He arranged to meet a friend in Bangkok to pick up some stuff aftere full moon party but didn't turn up,'' saide press release.

"This is a dangerous place we are talking about - it is not the paradise that many people imagine. We are constantly hearing horror stories and we can't help but think something very bad has happened to him."

I don't think that KPN is more dangerous than other island or place in Thailand. A lot of people disappear in others countries, without never finding them.

On this island, we have two problems ! One of this is the drug and the second is the alcohol. Apart from that, it's a quiet place. A lot guys both smoke and drink a lot and after this, all is possible for a bad guys who prowl around

In this case, there is a strange situation. Why we haven't found the passport ?

Nobody goes to the "FMP " with his passport on him ! There is a hope here, finally i hope :o

Yes, believe it or not, people do go to the party with their passport on them. I've actually met people who took everything to the party (passport, cards, camera etc etc--and naturally, lost it all when drunk).

Another alternative would be that he rented a motorbike and left the passport with them, as is usual. I wonder if anyone has asked the bungalow owner whether or not he had a bike and if it was ever returned.

The glimmer of hope given by the fact that his passport cannot be found must be tempered by the reality that either its at a otorbike rental place, as previously mentioned, or that he took his passport with him on the ngiht of the party...... why would you birng your passport...... well alot of people fear that their room could be broken into during the madness of the party, or distrust the reception safety box for the same reasons..... so they think their passport would be safer in their back poacket...... along with credit cards and cash etc...... The wisdom of this is questionable..... pick pocketing is not unheard of, drunken stupidity is all but gauranteed, and the likehood of loosing it whilst on your person is much greater than your room being broken into......

In any case, I think it unlikely that this poor chap would come back to his room, grab his passport, let everything else, and then swan off into the sunset.......

Sorry to be gloomy...... but hope is there, and hopefully I am wrong......

The original link to the Bangkok Post has been removed. Clearly it had not been copy edited and was put in raw. It was withdrawn to avoid embarrassment, obviously.

This is indeed a mystery, but one that seemingly can be solved. Wonder if the family has hired a private dick to snoop around.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it is not the case, but in the hills between haad rin and baan kai, sometimes they find 2 to 3 year old bodies when they climb down to get a motorbike. A search there would make sence. But as I sad; I realy don't hope so!!!! And I mean it!

I saw a missing person paper that read "Help me find my husband. Last seen on (some date) on Soi (some Soi name)." And the her phone number. And there was a black and white picture of some farang. This was on Monday (2 days ago).

There was no name of this missing person so I don't know if it is this same guy or some new 'missing' guy? It was posted at the ATM in Bang Rak at 7-11, Bank of Ayhudha.

Anyone know anything about this missing person poster?

• 3 months later...
I hope it is not the case, but in the hills between haad rin and baan kai, sometimes they find 2 to 3 year old bodies when they climb down to get a motorbike. A search there would make sence. But as I sad; I realy don't hope so!!!! And I mean it!

Have they conducted such a search?

City man still missing in Thailand

powlesd20080826152922.jpg

Six months have passed since a Norwich man went missing after a party in Thailand and his friends today said they were still no nearer solving his mysterious disappearance.

Backpacker Danny Hall, 36, was last seen on February 25 after he attended the world-famous Full Moon Party in the southern Thai resort of Koh Pha Ngan, while on a six-month holiday touring Asia

Thai Police Colonel Chataree Pandum said Mr Hall's bank account has not been used since he disappeared and investigators believe he did not leave the island.

Friends of the former roadie travelled to Thailand to help with the hunt for him, but six months later and they are still no closer to discovering what has happened to their friend.

Two dedicated Facebook pages were set up in a bid to find Mr Hall, displaying a poster and urging people to pass on details about his disappearance in the hope someone might have some information about his whereabouts.

Photographs were shown on the social networking site, including one from when Mr Hall appeared as a contestant on TV quiz show The Weakest Link.

One of Mr Hall's friends Roy Twemlow, 36, who met him while they were both at Birmingham University found his friend's possessions - a backpack and an acoustic Yamaha guitar - left in his accommodation, a hut at the island's secluded Hat Yao beach. But Mr Hall's passport and money belt have still not been found.

Mr Twemlow was one of the last people to hear from Mr Hall, who was originally from Scratby. He said: “It was about 2pm when [Danny] rang me and he sounded fine, he didn't sound panicked. It's just not like him to vanish without trace.

“I've kind of accepted I'm never going to see him again. But someone must have seen something, someone must know something.”

In April a Koh Pha Ngan police chief was transferred amid a rising crime rate and complaints about visitors' safety.

A spokeswoman for Norfolk police said: “Norfolk Constabulary has been liaising with the Commonwealth Office in Nepal and Thai authorities but there is nothing further to report at this stage.”

Anyone with information about Mr Hall should call Norfolk police on 0845 4564567.

Source: Norwich Evening News - 27 August 2008

• 3 months later...

I would like to know why this posting lasts for 6 or more months and another, new, it was closed (IMO) in a not so polite way ("ThaiVisa is not a missing persons agency"), after few hours.

I don't debate about right or wrong, TV moderators rule, but should be a better way to explain to somebody, probably worry about a friend or relative, why TV don't allows (sometime) missing persons posts.

:o:D

Because this is coming from a documented news source. A member post searching for a person could easily be searching for that person for less than helpful reasons. It is not up to Thai Visa to determine what is legitimate and what is not, the only missing persons reports allowed in this forum will be from legitimate news sources.

Because this is coming from a documented news source. A member post searching for a person could easily be searching for that person for less than helpful reasons. It is not up to Thai Visa to determine what is legitimate and what is not, the only missing persons reports allowed in this forum will be from legitimate news sources.

Exactly.

Please try to understand our position on this... it can be a very emotional subject and one which can become clouded with innuendo and false information.

Only legitimate news sources will be allowed on such subjects on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

The Facebook group page for Danny Hall had an update from someone, but just in the comments section. Still not found...

It's a mystery. That is absolutely horrifying to imagine that he could vanish without a trace, especially for his family but in general also.