The Rules About Getting Thai Visas

billshot64

You know it's really very simple. We live in a foreign land. That's our choice. Noone asked us to come; instead they graciously allowed us in, subject to us obeying their laws.

And you know what? They can change those laws anytime they like.

We might not like it. It might be inconvenient. It might cause a few screw-ups. Is there really any point in complaining about it, or would our energies be better placed in making contingency plans? I prefer not to be a victim; others, it seems, glory in the role :-)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all relative. I'm sure there's a point where we could move the goal posts to a point where even the "comfortable" crowd would have to leave (most would make the smart choice and relocate somewhere more friendly, but I'm sure some would convert to whingerism). Heck, there's even the outside chance that the powers that be and the top 15-20% of locals here will one day lose their stranglehold on the country. Anything is possible.

:o

I doubt Thailand could move the goal posts to effect the diplomats and senior management of multinationals...then it would be just like Burma, and you know how much Thais like to save face.

It's all relative. I'm sure there's a point where we could move the goal posts to a point where even the "comfortable" crowd would have to leave (most would make the smart choice and relocate somewhere more friendly, but I'm sure some would convert to whingerism). Heck, there's even the outside chance that the powers that be and the top 15-20% of locals here will one day lose their stranglehold on the country. Anything is possible.

I doubt Thailand could move the goal posts to effect the diplomats and senior management of multinationals...then it would be just like Burma, and you know how much Thais like to save face.

I doubt it as well. I was merely giving them hope. ("now that's cruel, Oskar!")

:D

....i think it would be nice if persons who were married to thais had first bite of the cherry. of course Thailand wants to attract big spenders who can add something to their country's wealth and development.I thinkits only fair restrictions are in place otherwise there would be a flood of immigration,

I have a great deal of compassion for my pensioner friends here- "there but for the grace of God," and all that- and Lord knows if I'll be lucky enough even to have their pension options when I'm their age.

Whether it is intentional or not, the difficulties inherent in free and clear title (or even lease) to property combined with sometimes arbitrarily and quickly changing visa laws (not to mention international finances in a state of flux) all send the message that this is not an easy or fiscally responsible choice for persons living on fixed incomes- on the other hand, it might not have seemed quite such a bad decision 5-10 years ago when some of these persons made their initial decisions (and at some point a *present* rather than a *future* decision becomes important, especially when there may not be that much future left for some individuals).

The overall message is that whether or not the laws backtrack and become more retiree-friendly, you can't and shouldn't depend on them getting easier or staying easier. I don't blame the persons who have already lost gambles by trying to settle here (before)- and I really think they should receive a lot of sympathy and consideration from the rest of us- but I would certainly shake my head at those who attempt to settle in the future, given the unreliability of the rules.

....i think it would be nice if persons who were married to thais had first bite of the cherry. of course Thailand wants to attract big spenders who can add something to their country's wealth and development.I thinkits only fair restrictions are in place otherwise there would be a flood of immigration,

I'll probably never be able to take advantage of such laws myself, but I agree. Laws in every country should give some advantages to persons who have married into families of that country. The test should be whether the combination of the individual and the family are able to support the immigrant individual, not that the individual must support himself (should a rich family be legally restricted to marrying only employed or financially independent foreign persons?)

You know it's really very simple. We live in a foreign land. That's our choice. Noone asked us to come; instead they graciously allowed us in, subject to us obeying their laws.

And you know what? They can change those laws anytime they like.

We might not like it. It might be inconvenient. It might cause a few screw-ups. Is there really any point in complaining about it, or would our energies be better placed in making contingency plans? I prefer not to be a victim; others, it seems, glory in the role :-)

----------------

We all have different strenghts and weaknesses.

Some are intelligent rich, strng, good looking and talented in many ways.

Unfortunately, you can't take any of that with you.

Compassion, service to others and humility are the things we carry with us that promote us to a higher birth.

If someone doesn't have the "where with-all" to see which is the right direction to go or what is the right thing to do, well that's just the majority of us.

Hopefully the OP and the rest of us will soon have the shrewd clarity and conviction and' not to forget superior intelligence to plot a straight and steady a course as you have Bendix.

Say a prayer for us victims, don't continue to find fault in us.

We need all the help we can get.

I know I do... :o

Hopefully the OP and the rest of us will soon have the shrewd clarity and conviction and' not to forget superior intelligence to plot a straight and steady a course as you have Bendix.

You know Pepe, I hope so too. I really do.

But, let's face it - it's not very realistic, is it?

It's a nice thought, though, and it does you credit to aim high.

well, some (like Bendix) are able to see things as they are ... others get frustrated because they're consumed by their own 'should's' ...

let see it the other way around, right now my application to become the director of my company is on it's way, very likely 'm going to get it, then I can sign for the company, which means (for example) that I'm able to buy land ... ok, not in my own name, but in the name of the company, but still ... a company I control ...

so, for me the law has changed for the better ... maybe Thai's just like me more then they like the OP :o

1 more; we're allowed to buy property, just not the land ...

The sad fact is this: too many people come to this alien land woefully under-prepared and with no escape plan in place. They then compound it by marrying locally, often with limited resources. I'm sorry, but in my book that is more than irresponsible; it's selfish.

Quite correct my wife recently rented a condo to a guy who looked about 16 yrs old his Thai G/f was well on the way to delivering her baby and I couldnt help but wonder how they were going to survive here. At the other end I know a Thai women in her early 30s dating a guy of 55 ish she met a few months ago and she has been telling me all this guys woes and troubles and you can just see whats going to happen when he turns up to live here, he has a messy divorce going on no house little savings but still wants to come and live here, absolute madness, no planning etc .

Personally I married my Thai wife 2 years ago but no plans to live here permanently yet, many of my wifes friends are amazed she is not planning to have a baby and keep asking when. Thankfully shes downright sensible and knows it would be crazy and irresponsible to do this at the present time whilst she is building a good business here in Thailand and I keep working in the Uk for the long term prospects for both of us. Before we do anything we will buy the house land and make sure financially there will be no problems in the future.Im 44 she's 33. Ive never been married before nor has she.

It will take some years but i'd rather have this than the above any day.

It is however difficult in some respects we have 6 months apart as she cannot leave the business for long so visits to the Uk are short and because of my work ditto. I would love her to get a UK passport but she cannot spend 2 years here away from the business. I would love to see some sort of easier visa for our situation although getting a NON O 12 months is really no problem.

Interestingly on my return to the UK "alone" I got stopped (as usual 5 times put of6 in the last 2 years) by immigration at the UK (single man coming from BKK must b e carrying drugs or something ) Immigration man asked me why i had been in Thailand , I replied visiting my wife, he replied when is she coimng here to live then!!! Cheeky sod, I informed him she and I had no plans for her to come and live in the UK , I think he was quite surprised expecting no doubt to get another freeloader coming into the UK.

Its not easy to be sensible and plan its not easy being apart for months on end but we both know long term it will be far better.

Quite correct my wife recently rented a condo to a guy who looked about 16 yrs old his Thai G/f was well on the way to delivering her baby and I couldnt help but wonder how they were going to survive here. At the other end I know a Thai women in her early 30s dating a guy of 55 ish she met a few months ago and she has been telling me all this guys woes and troubles and you can just see whats going to happen when he turns up to live here, he has a messy divorce going on no house little savings but still wants to come and live here, absolute madness, no planning etc .

Hold on... so people CAN'T live on love?

Hold on... so people CAN'T live on love?

Sadly many people really think they can!

You know Pepe, I hope so too. I really do.

But, let's face it - it's not very realistic, is it?

It's a nice thought, though, and it does you credit to aim high.

---------------------------

"The plans of mice and men often go astray." :o

I have one question to all the replier’s on my post.

If a farang ask you for help what is you answer, solve your own problem or do you help him.

Billshot67

I'm sure you'll find, after you've been here awhile, that people that ask reasonable questions get reasonable answers.

The fact that you don't like the (current) Visa rules is not something that can be resolved here. In your original post you say (less references to the King):

What is the Thai Gov doing to us Visa or border runners.

Well the Thai Gov make from us criminals, I must pay monthly the rent from the house, ji-net, a new motorbike and more. If I can’t make a new visa then I can’t pay. The Thai Gov ignores my human right the human right is that I can make the choice where I want life. But the countries a round the world makes rules against it. My advice the time that you in Thailand are save your money and spend it outside Thailand when you on the visa run.

YOU make (erroneous) assumptions about what YOU think your human rights are, which have NO basis in law.

I don't see in your original post where you've asked for help at all. It appears to be more of a rant against the Thai government for the policies they have (legally) enacted. What kind of help were you expecting the people here to provide ? Did you want us to start a revolution to overthrow the current gov't and install a more farang friendly one ? Because that is pretty much all we could do and I don't see that happening.

There are quite a few different visa options you could consider, that would allow you to stay in Thailand for longer periods. In fact, there is a whole forum devoted to just that topic alone.

And for the record, I am not one of the "priveleged few" that have long term Visas. I am (currently) on a VOA, I rent an apartment (for now), own a couple of motorcycles, and don't need a longer solution to my Visa needs (yet).

When I do, I will put in the required time and effort to find out what the best solution is for my needs, and then take the required steps to enable that solution.

Ranting about how the Thai gov't is "making us criminals" isn't going to do anything towards solving your problem.

I have one question to all the replier's on my post.

If a farang ask you for help what is you answer, solve your own problem or do you help him.

Billshot67

My first inclination is always to help whatever or where ever.

I've learned some important lessons though.

"God help's those who help themselves"

"Charity starts at home"

"Once (many times) burned, twice (very very) shy"

It's taken me all these years to learn to say no. And it's still difficult.

Most people are users.

Now I help a few neighbors, friends and take care of the monks healthcare here in sunny San Diego.

I think that's plenty... :o

I have one question to all the replier’s on my post.

Billshot67

Bill, you still have not asked us for help! You started with a nearly incoherent rant, and now after more than 100 posts and thousands of views of this thread, we cannot resolve your problem or help you. Most of us are sorry about your predicament. I hope YOU find an answer by your own efforts. Good luck.

Bill, you still have not asked us for help! You started with a nearly incoherent rant, and now after more than 100 posts and thousands of views of this thread, we cannot resolve your problem or help you. Most of us are sorry about your predicament. I hope YOU find an answer by your own efforts. Good luck.

Sorry you do not understand my I don't ask for help I like to know if a farang ask for help.

I can solve my own problem without help from others.

billshot64

Well I think that the storm is over about my first post.

I want say tank you to the entire replay some were polyp some not.

There was one he thinks that he can make decisions for other people.

There was one whit big money married whit a Thai money eating machine he think that he have more right to stay here than me.

There was one he wrote that I not make friends; well I don’t like to have friends. There was one time that a have a friend from Germany he started to offer my Thai girlfriend a house, a new motorbike. But my Thai girlfriend says no to him. He is now married whit a sister from my Thai girlfriend she is not free he explain what she can were or what is good for she. This thinks happened often in Thailand especially by the farangs.

I was helping my Thai girlfriend many times till the moment that she starts to play gambling. She must pay back more than 200.000 THB but not me; I have taken my hand off her.

Further I want to explain that there is no one word or line that I have explain that I stay in Thailand outside the law. But it is my right to make complains about it. Why do you think about the many troubles in the world all about the people don’t like many rules and rising from the food prices? Further I not stay in Thailand whit a work permit take work out of the hands from a Thai.? If you want speak about low class this is very low class. And I hope for you all that when you 60,70,80 or 90 that you can walk that you can go where you want, but if not how do you want to make the visa run, if you look close to this line then you know the law is B*** S*** and not only in Thailand the Netherlands to or the USA or the UK end end

Best regard for all of you

Billshot64

BENDIX

Have let me know this: Try pulling your head out of your a**e,

Show to me how you do it then maybe I follow you.