Thai Wife Adopting A Thai Child

old wanderer

Well after 12 years of marriage and living here in the USA, my wife now getting into her early 40's wants to have a baby. I took care of that problem for myself more than 15 years ago. (The doc and his laser did it in 15 minutes).

I suggested we adopt 1 or 2 kids if that is what would make her happy. I looked at all the "stuff" a foreigner has to go through to adopt and then found a few hints that Thais adopting Thais is pretty quick and easy.

Does anyone have some insight on this. She even asked her sister if she would could consider having 1 more baby and giving it too us..... :o (Not my favorite gene pool there).

We will be coming to Thailand to live in about 5 years. However she want to take care of this now.

I have written in response to similar Posts in the past.

I cannot tell you whether it is easier for a Thai to adopt than it is for a Farang, however you should be VERY careful to make sure that your Wife is 100% happy with adopting a child from outside her own family.

It is quite common for Thais to adopt from within the immediate family – even, as your wife has suggested, arranging for a relative to have a baby and give it up at birth.

It is VERY unusual for Thais to adopt a strange child.

Similar to your own comment about “gene pool” (partly made in jest I am sure) Thais believe that a child is born with certain characteristics, traits and behavior patterns inherited from the biological parents, and these cannot be changed even if the child knows nothing of its real parents, their social background, level of education etc..

The belief is that even if the child is raised in completely different social and economic circumstances these traits (called “sandarn” in Thai) will eventually surface and cause problems for the adoptive family. Further, the fact that the child is available for adoption - i.e. has no family member wiling to take care of it - indicates to the average Thai that the parents are uneducated or low class, thus the "sandarn" of the child will be similar.

Patrick

I cannot tell you whether it is easier for a Thai to adopt than it is for a Farang, however you should be VERY careful to make sure that your Wife is 100% happy with adopting a child from outside her own family.

It is quite common for Thais to adopt from within the immediate family – even, as your wife has suggested, arranging for a relative to have a baby and give it up at birth.

Similar to your own comment about “gene pool” (partly made in jest I am sure) Thais believe that a child is born with certain characteristics, traits and behavior patterns inherited from the biological parents, and these cannot be changed even if the child knows nothing of its real parents, their social background, level of education etc..

The belief is that even if the child is raised in completely different social and economic circumstances these traits (called “sandarn” in Thai) will eventually surface and cause problems for the adoptive family. Further, the fact that the child is available for adoption - i.e. has no family member wiling to take care of it - indicates to the average Thai that the parents are uneducated or low class, thus the "sandarn" of the child will be similar.

Patrick

Patrick,

Yes I am aware of those thoughts as well. It is something that is ingrained in the culture. I know a few years ago we were seeing a very well known mahdoo (fortune teller) that has a home at our resort. He invited us for a session. I was a bit shocked when he made a point of saying "Do not adopt any children, either have your own or none".

Personally I am at the point in life where as long as the wife is happy, my life is easy....BUT if personally I had wanted a family I would have had one many years ago. The few children I did father did not turn into anything I am proud of.

Thanks for the thoughtful input.

Similar to your own comment about "gene pool" (partly made in jest I am sure) Thais believe that a child is born with certain characteristics, traits and behavior patterns inherited from the biological parents, and these cannot be changed even if the child knows nothing of its real parents, their social background, level of education etc..

The belief is that even if the child is raised in completely different social and economic circumstances these traits (called "sandarn" in Thai) will eventually surface and cause problems for the adoptive family. Further, the fact that the child is available for adoption - i.e. has no family member wiling to take care of it - indicates to the average Thai that the parents are uneducated or low class, thus the "sandarn" of the child will be similar.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Hope you can give me an idea how to proceed. My Thai wife has a 17 year old daughter from an earlier relationship but never got married. Last March, this daughter who is still schooling gave birth to a baby girl. We have discussed and would like to adopt this baby (technically my step grand-daughter). Can this be done?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Well after 12 years of marriage and living here in the USA, my wife now getting into her early 40's wants to have a baby.

As an adoptive father of two children from China and just returned with a 10 year old adoptee from Thailand, I can tell you that the US requirements are pretty stringent regardless of the country you choose. The first step for an American considering adoption from Thailand is to look at http://www.neiu.edu/~rghiggin/Thaiadopt/start.html. It will describe the relationship between the US and Thai governments concerning international adoptions, list the handful of US adoption agencies authorized to assist with Thai adoptions and provide additional contact information.

Good luck.