Australian stabbed after bag snatch in Naklua Soi 16, wife injured as well

Bagwain

Last night my visiting businessman/friend was walking home with his T/G and as he turned into Soi 16/3 she was set upon by 2 Thia guys on a motorbike and as they tried to take her hand bag my friend tried to stop them and was stabbed 3 times for his trouble.

Whilst he was in emergency at Pattaya International getting the wounds dressed the cashier came in and started carring on about deposits etc. His son who is also here & I walked out to the cashier booth. when I gave the bloke a hel_l of a blast and told him that he should have asked us to come out to his office instead of demanding money in the emergency room. At least we got an apology.

The Thai girl got a black eye out of it so she was allright. But she came back to the sons hotel room at 4 am saying that the hospital demanded another 50,000 baht before they would operate. He went in for general surgery at 6am and we will find out how he is in the next couple of hours.

Nice hospital.

Do they dump the injured that can't pay in some dark soi?

But I do understand, why the ashier was so pushy.

. It's his job to collect from these people. Thais and Farangs often skip without paying.

It's amazing how many farangs do not carry health insurance for emergencies.

Last night my visiting businessman/friend was walking home with his T/G and as he turned into Soi 16/3 she was set upon by 2 Thia guys on a motorbike and as they tried to take her hand bag my friend tried to stop them and was stabbed 3 times for his trouble.

Whilst he was in emergency at Pattaya International getting the wounds dressed the cashier came in and started carring on about deposits etc. His son who is also here & I walked out to the cashier booth. when I gave the bloke a hel_l of a blast and told him that he should have asked us to come out to his office instead of demanding money in the emergency room. At least we got an apology.

The Thai girl got a black eye out of it so she was allright. But she came back to the sons hotel room at 4 am saying that the hospital demanded another 50,000 baht before they would operate. He went in for general surgery at 6am and we will find out how he is in the next couple of hours.

I hope anyone reading this without insurance will go and get it NOW! (Unless, of course, you have plenty of spare cash). :o

Nice hospital.

. It's his job to collect from these people. Thais and Farangs often skip without paying.

no they put them in a pick up and send them to another hospital some 30 mins away.....nice.

The Thai girl got a black eye out of it so she was allright.

so she wasn't actually stabbed then.... :D

Business man & friend stabbed in Naklua

I would assume he meant the business man is also his friend

oh, sorry i missed that connection... :D

mentioning "businessman" doesn't have any relevance unless i've missed something else..:o i hope it's not okay these days to stab the working class... :D

There are some very strange people on this forum, is it just the fact of being argumentative or just plain dumbā€¦whatever it is why not go and play on another forum..say the one for Guatemala, as your totally brain dead comments are well >>>> quite pathetic & not even funny

Hope the guy recovers and can afford to loose the 50,000 + baht due to no fault of his ownā€¦or should we just class this as the price of a night out in Pattaya

Sad very sad

When will people learn to avoid "international" hospitals?

Answer: never.

I was lucky to have the hotel night desk call Pattaya Memorial I guess.

I did not die that night and when conscious somewhere the next day handed them an insurance card with telephone number (AFTER they saved my life I suppose) I then got transferred to Bumrungrad, but that was after contacts with the insurance company.

One should not try to stop muggers, give them what they want :o

Edited by tartempion

There are some very strange people on this forum, is it just the fact of being argumentative or just plain dumbā€¦whatever it is why not go and play on another forum..say the one for Guatemala, as your totally brain dead comments are well >>>> quite pathetic & not even funny

Hope the guy recovers and can afford to loose the 50,000 + baht due to no fault of his ownā€¦or should we just class this as the price of a night out in Pattaya

Sad very sad

its an open forum, if you dont like what you read theres always the ignore function...or guatemala :o

Sad very sad

Also, I might add 50,000thb is quite cheap for surgery on stab wounds.

In the U.S. he'd be looking at 600,000thb.

Sorry to hear this and I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

P.S. let the crooks have the bag

Well all is well and the victim is ok but in a lot of pain.

Extended stay now and a couple of his collegues are coming over from Malaysia.

At this stage the shout may just be over 100,000 baht.

This happened around 12.30am just after shooting time starts in Pattaya/Naklua.

Slow season is here & I suspect the TG's aren't giving there boyfriends as much drinking money so they are getting desperate.

A/holes. The man is over 60 and was on a business trip for me!!

Sad very sad

I hope the best for this gentleman and that when he will back on the streets he will have learned NOT to get inot a fight with smugglers.

This warning is written with big letters on every document from the Tourist Police.

Valuables are easy to replace, YOUR LIFE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, this isn't any better in Europe or the USA.

I remember several TV programs in my country were a TV-team was doing the same with a woman in full daylight in a street full with people.

NOBODY was helping the woman.

Sorry to say, but that's the world we are living in.

It seems that anybody going out at night needs a good old fashioned "WALKING STICK"....

If I would be in LOS now, I would set up a website, selling these things to every single EXPAT... :D

post-13995-1207663275_thumb.png

Tip: have them made of bamboo....one stroke with it and these bluddy muggers aren't able to walk for at least a week...... :o

Here you go:

post-13995-1207663565_thumb.jpg Cane Bamboo... :D

Walking-stick harmonica by Swaine & Adeney, London, ca. 1860-1915. This example is made from the root end of a bamboo stalk and is slightly more than 38-inches (970 mm) long. Alan G. Bates Collection, 2000.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: April 8th 2008

Australian stabbed following bag snatch in Naklua.

In the early hours of Tuesday Morning, Police Lieutenant Colonel Sanae from Pattaya Police Station made his way to the Pattaya International Hospital in Soi 4 off Pattaya Beach Road following reports of a stabbing incident which occurred in Naklua and resulted in injuries sustained by An Australian man and his Thai Wife.

At the Hospital Police spoke with Khun Darunee aged 41 who sustained facial and upper body injuries following a bag snatch which took place as the pair walked inside Soi 16 off the Naklua Road.

Two unidentified Thai men approached the couple and one of them snatched Khun Daruneeā€™s handbag containing 2,600 Baht in cash, 500 Australian Dollars, one mobile phone and personal documents. Following the robbery, Khun Daruneeā€™s Husband, Mr. Paul Woodlay aged 62 decided to pursue the men who proceeded to stab him in his left arm and left hip.

As Khun Darunee screamed for help she was punched in the face and stomach. Both were taken to Hospital where Khun Darunee was treated for superficial injuries. Mr. Woodlayā€™s injuries were more serious and he remains under close supervision by Doctors at this time. Police are investigating.

Libya 115 says

I used to often walk down this long soi to Wongamat Beach. Seven or eight years ago, I would walk back to the Naklua Road and never felt in danger. Following the vicious attack on an elderley friend at night, I quit walking down soi 16 in darkness.

However, because this soi is long and in parts very quiet and unpopulated I have had what you might call a 'near miss' daytime incident: Whilst walking down this soi, two Thai men on a motorcycle armed with metallic re-bar suddenly stopped beside me. I was lucky, I sprinted in the opposite direction to which their motorcycle was facing and flagged down a songtheaw; they sped off like the cowards they are.

I suggest that it is unwise to venture down this soi alone or unarmed, day or night.

In the early hours of Tuesday Morning, Police Lieutenant Colonel Sanae from Pattaya Police Station made his way to the Pattaya International Hospital in Soi 4 off Pattaya Beach Road following reports of a stabbing incident which occurred in Naklua and resulted in injuries sustained by An Australian man and his Thai Wife.

At the Hospital Police spoke with Khun Darunee aged 41 who sustained facial and upper body injuries following a bag snatch which took place as the pair walked inside Soi 16 off the Naklua Road.

Two unidentified Thai men approached the couple and one of them snatched Khun Darunee's handbag containing 2,600 Baht in cash, 500 Australian Dollars, one mobile phone and personal documents. Following the robbery, Khun Darunee's Husband, Mr. Paul Woodlay aged 62 decided to pursue the men who proceeded to stab him in his left arm and left hip.

As Khun Darunee screamed for help she was punched in the face and stomach. Both were taken to Hospital where Khun Darunee was treated for superficial injuries. Mr. Woodlay's injuries were more serious and he remains under close supervision by Doctors at this time. Police are investigating.

Libya 115 says

I used to often walk down this long soi to Wongamat Beach. Seven or eight years ago, I would walk back to the Naklua Road and never felt in danger. Following the vicious attack on an elderley friend at night, I quit walking down soi 16 in darkness.

However, because this soi is long and in parts very quiet and unpopulated I have had what you might call a 'near miss' daytime incident: Whilst walking down this soi, two Thai men on a motorcycle armed with metallic re-bar suddenly stopped beside me. I was lucky, I sprinted in the opposite direction to which their motorcycle was facing and flagged down a songtheaw; they sped off like the cowards they are.

I suggest that it is unwise to venture down this soi alone or unarmed, day or night.

Im afraid this topic is already running. merge mods ?

Two unidentified Thai men approached the couple and one of them snatched Khun Darunee's handbag containing 2,600 Baht in cash, 500 Australian Dollars, one mobile phone and personal documents. Following the robbery, Khun Darunee's Husband, Mr. Paul Woodlay aged 62 decided to pursue the men who proceeded to stab him in his left arm and left hip.

As Khun Darunee screamed for help she was punched in the face and stomach. Both were taken to Hospital where Khun Darunee was treated for superficial injuries. Mr. Woodlay's injuries were more serious and he remains under close supervision by Doctors at this time. Police are investigating.

Libya 115 says

Im afraid this topic is already running. merge mods ?

Agreed: This story was started by a neophyte TV member in 'General Topics' but ought to me merged into Pattaya News Clippings ASAP.

Sure the hospital aren't sending scum out looking for wealthy looking Farang to attack, so they get the custom, and the scum get a % (joking of course)

Sorry to hear of the attack, hope those involved get better very soon.

Nice hospital.

Ok ... You have insurance ... You are out for the count ... The "rescue guy's" have emptied your pockets ... What now ?

Naka.

Sad very sad

I hope the best for this gentleman and that when he will back on the streets he will have learned NOT to get inot a fight with smugglers.

This warning is written with big letters on every document from the Tourist Police.

Valuables are easy to replace, YOUR LIFE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, this isn't any better in Europe or the USA.

I remember several TV programs in my country were a TV-team was doing the same with a woman in full daylight in a street full with people.

NOBODY was helping the woman.

Sorry to say, but that's the world we are living in.

It was his wife being attacked. What sort of a coward would sit back and just watch? by the way they were not smugglers

Sad very sad

Also, I might add 50,000thb is quite cheap for surgery on stab wounds.

In the U.S. he'd be looking at 600,000thb.

Sorry to hear this and I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

P.S. let the crooks have the bag

50'000 baht can equate to 6 months Thai salary my docile american friend - it is of absoulutely no relevance what you think it may cost in the fallen empire!