Golden Age Of Thai Farm Products Begins, Says Ex-commerce Chief

george

Golden age of Thai farm products begins, says ex-commerce chief

BANGKOK: -- A strategy for Thailand to produce foods for the world market and promote the country as a world agricultural production centre should be prepared, since a golden age for farm goods has begun with China, India and East Europe having more purchasing power, according to a former commerce chief.

Former permanent secretary for commerce Sompol Kiatpaiboon said farm commodities had now entered a golden age of agricultural products regardless of whether they are foods or non-food items, such as rice, natural rubber, cassava, and oil palm because the demand from the new economic powers including China, India and East Europe had risen.

More importantly, since oil prices continued to rise, many countries had begun to count on alternative energy.

Plants used as raw materials for alternative energy production are therefore in greater demand and enjoy higher prices. More farmers have shifted to grow plants used to produce alternative energy.

He said Thailand had an advantage over other countries in the region in terms of soil, water, weather conditions, and skilled labour.

To increase incomes for farmers, he suggested, the government should promote Thailand as a food production centre for the world market and a farm production centre with a focus on its readiness in relation to irrigation, crop growing areas, and the use of technology.

In addition, he said the government must also emphasise managing Thailand's food reserves to ensure sufficient food supply for local consumption before implementing export promotion strategy to earn the country additional revenue.

--TNA 2008-04-08

In addition, he said the government must also emphasise managing Thailand's food reserves to ensure sufficient food supply for local consumption before implementing export promotion strategy to earn the country additional revenue.

--TNA 2008-04-08

Might be an idea, it said on the news last night that rice was being rationed to one 10kg bag per customer @ many places in BKK. :o

Hmm, does this mean a golden age for the Thai farmers, or a golden age for the middle men?

The farmers should be educated to take advantage of this "golden age" it is one of my long held wishes (fantasies) that the current young generation actually give a stuff enough to help the older generation in matters of marketing and co-ops rather than being at the mercy of the middleman.

Hmm, does this mean a golden age for the Thai farmers, or a golden age for the middle men?

Any time a government spokesperson talks about a benefit to farmers, take that as a euphemism to mean a benefit to the CP Group.

The farmers should be educated to take advantage of this "golden age" it is one of my long held wishes (fantasies) that the current young generation actually give a stuff enough to help the older generation in matters of marketing and co-ops rather than being at the mercy of the middleman.

I second your thought! I have often wondered why i dont see programs like FFA and 4-H or maybe there is but i have never noticed. I know my self as young lad gained lots of knowledge from both of these programs. His Majesty has done wonders with his programs could these be caried down a generation ?

He said Thailand had an advantage over other countries in the region in terms of soil, water, weather conditions, and skilled labour.

1) Soil: Largely contaminated by abuse of pesticides

2) Water: Getting scarcer and scarcer

3) Weather: Droughts and floods every few years

4) Skilled labour: From where, Burma?

:o