Lcd Televisions

justin54

Is it just me, or are (reputable branded) lcd tv's well over-priced here in Thailand? Is this considered a luxury item that falls into the 'stupid markup' catagory? Am I looking in the wrong spot? Will I get gouged on taxes if I buy one from ebay (or shipped from hong kong)?

Has anyone brought one over via plane as oversized baggage?

Cheers,

JL

Get yourself out into the countryside and look at how a majority of the population live before asking the question of is a LCD television considered a luxury, <deleted> even a flushing toilet is considered a luxury to a vast number of thais.

What a daft question

I actually thought they are fairly reasonable. I got a Samsung 32" one last year for about 23k Baht. However I have noticed that brands such as Sony seem to be a lot more.

The mid to lower end of the market is reasonable. I just bought a 32inch HD Ready LG TV for 19900 Baht.

But once you go to the premium end its crazy. A 46 inch Sharp X1DE Full HD is 200,000 Baht, whereas it costs about £850 in the UK, which is not exactly the cheapest shopping location in the world. The 52 inch is even crazier at 300,000 Baht compared to about £1250 in the UK.

If you compare Thai prices to US prices at the high end you'll just weep and start plotting how to smuggle in a 60 inch screen!

Get yourself out into the countryside and look at how a majority of the population live before asking the question of is a LCD television considered a luxury, <deleted> even a flushing toilet is considered a luxury to a vast number of thais.

What a daft question

as i walk past the thais living in tin shacks on government land watching their 40/42 inch lcd/plasma tvs i would say they are more of an essential item, as you say, you cant watch thai soaps on a flushing toilet.

someone who previously posted in this thread needs to meet some middle class thais (err, thai-chinese). not everyone is a rice farmer or makes somtam on the side of the road...

the rice farmer bit probably has a 52" showing thai soaps while having kaw neow and moo ping. wish i could grow rice at the moment.

on a more serious note, like others have mentioned, the lower end LCD's are very competively priced. ie. affordable. just saw a 42" LCD Samsung selling for 34,000. however only 1024 pix. but enough for HDTV?

Are you sure that was an LCD.. Index are selling lots of samsung 1024x768 plasmas at 34k.. Have not seen any LCD's under 40 yet, Bravia S was 42k for a 40 inch the other day.

Seems to me for UBC the plasmas look better.. LCD just shows too many flaws in the UBC signal, however much thats being true to the source the plasma is softer and less MPEG artifacting.

Saw a 1080p LCD set recently for 55k.. will see if I can remember where and what spec.

Are you sure that was an LCD.. Index are selling lots of samsung 1024x768 plasmas at 34k.. Have not seen any LCD's under 40 yet, Bravia S was 42k for a 40 inch the other day.

Seems to me for UBC the plasmas look better.. LCD just shows too many flaws in the UBC signal, however much thats being true to the source the plasma is softer and less MPEG artifacting.

Saw a 1080p LCD set recently for 55k.. will see if I can remember where and what spec.

LivinLos, come to think of it, you are probably right. It had a "P" in the model number somewhere. hmmm!.. oh well.. will wait till the 42" LCD's to come around that price. :o

Home pro, Power Buy, Tesco, Carrefour, Big C all have web sites, all have Promotions, All show what is coming up on promotion..

Myself bought at Home Pro in there ‘50% off Shock Sale’ Checked all the other places and the price for the New Panasonic was 84,900 baht, I bought in the Sale at home pro for 46,900baht..

Like everything wait for a Sale, you will save many 1,000’s regardless what your buying..

Saved 38,000 on TV

Saved 26,000 on double door fridge freezer

Saved 5,600 on washing machine, over 1,000 on the coffee machine, 1,200 off on the Vac, most of the other electrical small items were also bought in different sales.

Yesterday bought a new APC UPS at half price..... they also had [old model] 22" LCD monitors @ 8,400 baht !!

ALL items were new, and the new models, do your home work.......... if your not to bothered about the new model, then there are even bigger discounts on new old models/stock clearence

The thing is with these sales.. There tends to be a lots of price cheating..

Courts was closing down here and all stock must go.. Literally scribbles on the cardboard boxes as prices marked down daily..

I was price checking many of the 'sales' and even so they are the same or higher than similar models, at best a few 1000 or there.. Of course the price listing is

sale price now 48000

But the same Sony was selling for 42 under index, normal market price !!

I know this isnt only Thailand, but to see everyone bustling over this stunning special 'sale' just made me smile.. OK if you dont follow the market I guess.

Home pro, Power Buy, Tesco, Carrefour, Big C all have web sites, all have Promotions, All show what is coming up on promotion..

Myself bought at Home Pro in there ‘50% off Shock Sale’ Checked all the other places and the price for the New Panasonic was 84,900 baht, I bought in the Sale at home pro for 46,900baht..

Like everything wait for a Sale, you will save many 1,000’s regardless what your buying..

Saved 38,000 on TV

Saved 26,000 on double door fridge freezer

Saved 5,600 on washing machine, over 1,000 on the coffee machine, 1,200 off on the Vac, most of the other electrical small items were also bought in different sales.

Yesterday bought a new APC UPS at half price..... they also had [old model] 22" LCD monitors @ 8,400 baht !!

ALL items were new, and the new models, do your home work.......... if your not to bothered about the new model, then there are even bigger discounts on new old models/stock clearence

can this apply to bar fines ? :o

The thing is with these sales.. There tends to be a lots of price cheating..

Courts was closing down here and all stock must go.. Literally scribbles on the cardboard boxes as prices marked down daily..

I was price checking many of the 'sales' and even so they are the same or higher than similar models, at best a few 1000 or there.. Of course the price listing is

sale price now 48000

But the same Sony was selling for 42 under index, normal market price !!

I know this isnt only Thailand, but to see everyone bustling over this stunning special 'sale' just made me smile.. OK if you dont follow the market I guess.

YES reason I said do your home work

Yes but how much does the average big box consumer shopper know ??

I mean how many of the Thais looking at the boxes would know if it was vital for the digital inputs to have HDCP or not ?? If the PC input was limeted in its resolutions, even basic stats like brightness and CR measurements.. I doubt many of them would be able to explain in any logical fashion the difference between ansi contrast and on off contrast..

My point being really many of the sales are niether cheap nor a great deal.. But as always a fool and his money etc.

I always rather admired the way the marvellous David Hume knuckled down to living carefully..............as he spent most of his savings while writing A Treatise of Human Nature, he resolved "to make a very rigid frugality supply my deficiency of fortune, to maintain unimpaired my independency, and to regard every object as contemptible except the improvements of my talents in literature."

I'm rather surprised at the disdain some posters have for those of lesser means. Hmm....

I always rather admired the way the marvellous David Hume knuckled down to living carefully..............as he spent most of his savings while writing A Treatise of Human Nature, he resolved "to make a very rigid frugality supply my deficiency of fortune, to maintain unimpaired my independency, and to regard every object as contemptible except the improvements of my talents in literature."

I'm rather surprised at the disdain some posters have for those of lesser means.

In any case I'm amazed at your question Gary 74.......600$K stash, and 2500$pm coming. You could live like an archduke.

Edited by sleepyjohn