Driving From Phuket To Koh Samui

chercheur888

Can anybody give me the information, which is the best, safest and good road conditions to drive from Phuket to Koh Samui. Are there different ferry operators?

Thank you

Indeed i would suggest a straight forward drive along highway 4 which you willjoin after the bridge over to the main land from Phuket Island. From there you go right to follow signs to Phang Nga not the other way which will go to Takua Pa and such like. Sorry to say i have no idea about the ferrys though. I have made the journey myself as far as Surat and got there in a little over 3 hours.

Just last month we drove to the ferry termal at Don Sak ferry terminal. Leave Phuket island, follow signs to Phang Nga, then onto Krabi. Just south of Krabi (after Ao Luk) take the road to Surat Thani. It's arrow straight dual highway for almost 150 km (fill up tank before you go as only one hard to find gas station). DO NOT exit this road as it bypasses Surat Thani completely and joins the main highway just a few kms south of the junction (left) to Don Sak. We left Kata at 08.30, stopped for a leisurly late breakfast & pit stop, and arrived Don Sak just after 13.00.

There are 2 ferry operators, just take the next one leaving. For Samui on the hour, every hour. Ferries are a bit primitive, have a fast food shop, but no proper heated food, smelly loos, but have aircon lounge with aircraft style seats. About a 2 hour crossing to Samui. I prefer to sleep in my own car on the car deck.

Just last month we drove to the ferry termal at Don Sak ferry terminal. Leave Phuket island, follow signs to Phang Nga, then onto Krabi. Just south of Krabi (after Ao Luk) take the road to Surat Thani. It's arrow straight dual highway for almost 150 km (fill up tank before you go as only one hard to find gas station). DO NOT exit this road as it bypasses Surat Thani completely and joins the main highway just a few kms south of the junction (left) to Don Sak. We left Kata at 08.30, stopped for a leisurly late breakfast & pit stop, and arrived Don Sak just after 13.00.

There are 2 ferry operators, just take the next one leaving. For Samui on the hour, every hour. Ferries are a bit primitive, have a fast food shop, but no proper heated food, smelly loos, but have aircon lounge with aircraft style seats. About a 2 hour crossing to Samui. I prefer to sleep in my own car on the car deck.

Just North of Krabi
in Ba Kan turn left onto Road 44 to Surat Thani 98 kms long appox.. "It's arrow straight dual highway " as mentioned in the above post by "LivinginKata". At the end of this road you have to turn left. You will see this sign post:-

P2180789_S_666.jpg

Take the next U-Turn which is about 500 odd meters further down the road and follow the sign to Don Sak.

Have a safe trip. :o

Kan Win :D

Just North of Krabi
in Ba Kan turn left onto Road 44 to Surat Thani 98 kms long appox.. "It's arrow straight dual highway " as mentioned in the above post by "LivinginKata". At the end of this road you have to turn left. You will see this sign post:-

P2180789_S_666.jpg

Take the next U-Turn which is about 500 odd meters further down the road and follow the sign to Don Sak.

Have a safe trip. :D

Is it just coincidence that the road to Bangkok has the devil's number? :o

Quite correct, as there in no fly-over interchange where the 2 main dual carriage highways meet.

It might be 98 kms to Surat, but Don Sak is a long long way past Surat (about another hour's fast drive). Last month when we started on that new road (Don Sak end) I clearly remember a sign post of 140+ km to Krabi. But no matter the exact distance, it still a long drive, with no gas stations right on the highway.

Hi "LivinginKata",

I was referring to the Road 44 from "Ba Kan" to the "dead end" which is 98 kms long :o and as you mentioned no petrol stations on this side of the road as of Feb this year when I travelled from Phuket to Don Sak (Koh Samui).