Throbbing Pain

isabelle17

Last night as I was trying to get to sleep, I felt fine until all of a sudden, I started feeling this throbbing pain in the right side of my throat, specifically in the area my pulse is located. At first I thought not much of it, but then it started getting much worse. It was very painful and it also hurt a little to swallow and I felt a bit light headed.

I thought it was an anxiety attack at first, but I have had anxiety attacks before and they never involve any pain (just issues with breathing, and I was not having any trouble breathing.) I tried sitting up and that didn't help much. Finally I decided to just wait out the pain and hope that it would go away. After about 15 or 20 minutes the throbbing pain became less and less until finally I was able to fall asleep (I was exhausted.)

Normally, I would not be concerned about something like this...but I have never experienced anything like it and it hurt a lot. My neck is a bit sore today, I am tired, and have a slight headache, but the throbbing pain is not there. I have not seen a doctor about this, but if it happens again I plan to...does anyone have any idea what this possibly could be or am I over reacting?

Thank you!

To be on the safe side, see a neurologist who specializes in cerebral vascular disease and have a carotid ultrasound done.

It may just have been a vascular headache (even tho you felt it in the throat) or inflammation of a nerve, but best to be sure.

Last night as I was trying to get to sleep, I felt fine until all of a sudden, I started feeling this throbbing pain in the right side of my throat, specifically in the area my pulse is located. At first I thought not much of it, but then it started getting much worse. It was very painful and it also hurt a little to swallow and I felt a bit light headed.

I thought it was an anxiety attack at first, but I have had anxiety attacks before and they never involve any pain (just issues with breathing, and I was not having any trouble breathing.) I tried sitting up and that didn't help much. Finally I decided to just wait out the pain and hope that it would go away. After about 15 or 20 minutes the throbbing pain became less and less until finally I was able to fall asleep (I was exhausted.)

Normally, I would not be concerned about something like this...but I have never experienced anything like it and it hurt a lot. My neck is a bit sore today, I am tired, and have a slight headache, but the throbbing pain is not there. I have not seen a doctor about this, but if it happens again I plan to...does anyone have any idea what this possibly could be or am I over reacting?

Thank you!

Disregard bany speculation and go to a reputable hospital ENT department and find out what this is all about!!